What is your go to Hook?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CATFISHPAT, Jul 30, 2006.

1. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Im allways looking at all them new hook's but I allways in up going back to a E-C 5/0 Kahle or Gamakatsu 7/0 Octopus Circle they's hook's are made for CATFISH but the bottom line is they work for me.What is your go yo Hook??

2. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Gama 8/0 Octopus Circle. I have tried the same hook in other sizes, but I think from a confidence viewpoint, the 8/0 is my favorite.

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I think the hook that I hold the most confidence in is a Gamakatsu regular Octopus hook anywhere from size 6/0 (for channels) to 10/0 (for the big flatheads). The circles are ok, but I just dont have much confidence in them. I have never gut hooked a catfish (except a bullhead, but those guys dont count because they will swallow anything) on a J hook, but I have on a circle. I think that just may be the area for cats around here. With J hooks for the most part I have hooked the fish right in the corner of the mouth, and a lot of the time even just behind the lower jaw. I have caught a couple on Kahles, and those had the hook kind of sewn into the fish's mouth over and over. Good if you dont want the fish getting away I guess :lol:

4. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I use the hook I think that for what ever reason will do the best job, whoever my favorite to ge r done is the tru-turn hook in many sizes.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Before last year, had always been a lure fisherman, except when I wanted great quantities of bluegill. When I started fishing for catfish, went directly to Kahle hooks, don't know why, just bought a package. Most of my catch is channels and I use 3/0 and 4/0 Kahles, though I sometimes float a big bait under a large float and use a 7/0 circle for that.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Gamakatsu 4/0 - 8/0 Octopus Circles.

The hooks are sharp, hook-up rates are better, they just plain do the job!!

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    5/0-7/0 Eagle Claw Kahle, I love these hooks.

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    My go to hook is a 7/0 Eagle Claw circle...it's cheap enough I can always have some and they have served me well.

9. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    A 7/0 kahle hook will "Git Er Done" everytime........

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I generally only carry one hook now for all my catfishing, 8/0 gamagatsu octopus circle.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the octopus circles have been doing it for me this year eagle claw or gamas.

12. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I like 4/0-6/0 kahles.

13. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I love the circles Matzu or VMC by rapala Gammie's rock scary sharp size goes with your bait GL

Ned

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus Circle has been my hook of choice the last 4 years.

15. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    where you guys find these monster hooks? I have tried all the local shops and no luck..."sorry sir, 4/0 or 5/0 is the biggest we carry." I just wanted to know a good place to order them online or if any CENTRAL OHIO guys have stores they go to. Thanks guys

Ben

16. swampthang_matt

swampthang_matt New Member

State:
    georgia
    i use the size hook that i atch the most fish with:big_smile: lol

17. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Ben, Go on ebay and put circle hooks in the search and quite a few will come
    up. You can refine your search for gammas or whatever brand and the size you want. I have bought about 2000 of diff sizes this year for panfish up to catfish. I didn't need that many for sure but one auction was for 1000 Eagle
    Claw hooks and I ended up paying $20.01 for hooks, shipping and all to my door.
    I have spilt them up with my kids, grandkids and friends. I live in a little town
    and the nearest big town is 100 miles away so this is the cheapest way to shop.

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Bem, I get my circles in all sizes from a guy on E-Bay that has as store there. You can get them in 100 packs so you can save some money. The name is richardsupply, and you can follow this link: http://stores.ebay.com/Richards-Sports-Supply

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i use J'S 7/0 and 8/0 catmaxx hooks from bass pro have yet to lose a fish with them their always hooked in the corner of the mouth

20. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Eagle claw kahles a serious hook if your serious about putting fish in the boat.