what is your favorite sea gull bait

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Boomer, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have never personally caught one, but I saw a guy catch to in about an hour. Those things put up a pretty good fight.....and I guess this guy had caught some before, because he expertly took the hook out of both of them, no worse for their wear and tear.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Can't say as I've ever targeted them. LOL! If ya want some entertainment get em in a feedin frenzy with some bread and then toss in some Alka Seltzer tablets.:crazy:

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    What should I expect to see ??? LOL!!

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    lol. if i wanta catch a sea gull ill stick a piece of bread right in the end of my gun barrel. when the bird comes to eat it BAM! i wonder how fast i can limit out? lol

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Both of these he caught, they didnt go down stream they went straight up, kind of like flying a kite..... I guess if you catch them on ultra or light takle, it could be fun.......doubt they are good eating though......

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i used to catch a few with white bread off of the big pier in fairhope.

alka seltzer--i only did that once...

be warned, a po'd sea gull can and will try to pick your eyes out if you are not carefull.

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    they are worse than gar they stole my perch off the pismo beach pier every other time we fished for shark

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have caught them freelining for striper using 3-4" shad. i didn't see the 'strike', so i can only assume they go underwater some too! yes they don't take too kindly to being hooked, and circle hooks work for them as well as the fish.

9. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    gottu be sheephead :big_smile: :cool2:

10. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    A crankbait cast into a school of white bass on lk. Erie was good for 3 hook-ups for a buddy and I one year.:smile2:

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use to get them by hand salt fishng. Id stand at the bait tank on the way back in and crouch down with my arm extended with a anchovie or sardine and they would hover in closer and closer, at the right time Id jump up and grab them by the neck. Then Id walk around the boat and walk in the galley with one under my arm. Folks would freak out. One buddy was in the latrine one day and we tossed one in there and held the door shut, talk about a comotion...LOL. We always let them loose after our fun . :big_smile:

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gary,I never targeted them,But in my youth I caught a artict tern on a dead floating minnow trying for white bass . It did fight well.:wink:

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia

FIZZIES work good too! LOL

I had caught some eels once and tied long heavy strings around the middle of 6" pieces of them to use for crab bait. I tied them to a dock and threw them in the water. Instead of sinking they floated. Gulls immediately came down and swallowed them. They flew off with them until they got to the end of the 50' cords. That brought them down REAL FAST!

14. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Billie I would be hard pressed to find fizzys. LOL!

15. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Will have to give that a try, maybe inject a shad with some air in his belly. Might do the trick. Ultra light tackle, should be a good fight........