What is your favorite jig?

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by okiejc, Jan 31, 2008.

1. okiejc

okiejc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My favorite jig is a 1/16oz tube jig pink head and white tail and a panfish assassin. What is your favorite jig? Do you like a certain type in cold water as opposed to warm water?

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    John, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there. I like the 1/16 oz. and pink bodies for skips but I don't know a thing about crappie fishing.

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    1/16 or 1/8oz, black. What I use on it varies from day to day, but my all around best preformer is a black jig.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi John,Favorite Jig Ah.Well I have several that work great but I guess My all time Favorite has to be My Black and Yellow Spotted Wallydogger. J.D.:crazy:

5. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I suppose, from what I've heard, that different areas of the country require different colors. So what works for me, may not work for you. That being said, I like to use a drop-shot rig, no jig head, #2 Octopus hook, for vertical fishing here in OK. I start always with a red head, chartreuse tail on one hook, and a blue/chartreuse on the other. That doesn't work, I go to experimenting.

For cast and retrieve jig fishing, again, a red/chartreuse on 1/16 head and generally a white or yellow 2" grub on the other.

White sparkle and chartreuse/yellow also work well, as does pink/chartreuse or pink/white

6. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    I have 3 types that I like, Midsouth tubes, panfish assassin tiny shad and curley shad. I try not to get too hung up on color as I have seen the crappie change their likes from hour to hour, tho electric chicken has been a very hot color the last few times. Here in MS there is no limit on how many poles you can use and I normally use 4 spider rigging and try to start out with 4 different colors and let the crappie tell me which one they want at that time. Have seen times when all my fish are coming on 1 pole so then I switch to that color. Have also seen times when they will not touch a tube and only want say a tiny shad. They can be very selective at times and then the next time hit anything at all. I keep a bunch of Sanford Sharpies in my boat to change colors also, works good on white baits, don't use minnows. I know at times they would be best but just don't like to fool with them. Like to use crappie nibbles too, works real good in a bait pump.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i usually have good luck with the chartreuse or phantom (black and silver) panfish assassin. i use a 1/34 oz. jighead so it 'suspends' more when i retrieve it. if they are pretty aggressive, i'll use a 1/16 oz. jighead because retrieve speed doesn't seem to matter at that time. if i am using a tube, a good ol red and white tube fits the bill most time. i always take a few different colors though, because as stated earlier, crappie can change their preferences at the drop of a hat.

8. Punkinsdad

Punkinsdad New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mine is the watermelon with a green head at Ft. Cobb. Been tearing them up.

9. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i use a 1/16 jig head with a chartreuse grub. usually 1 1/2 inchers. i think there is no best color of jig, the best color is the jig you have the most confidence in, the one that always seems to produce. theyll all catch fish. :cool2:

10. okiejc

okiejc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John,
    What in the world is a Black and Yellow Spotted Wallydogger?

11. Wichita

Wichita New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My favorite is a 1/16th roundhead #4 round redhook, with a Mid-South lime green/charteuse glow 2 inch jig body.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John the Wallydogger does the job. I see it has caught you. That JD has a big bag of tricks, and he uses all of them.:smile2:

13. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    1/32 green with flake under a bobber