What is your favorite dessert for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by okie gal, Nov 14, 2007.

1. okie gal

okie gal New Member

State:
    Okla. City
    I am designated to make desserts for our family at Thanksgiving. I make a pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling but can't decide what else to make. Any suggestions? Anything new that is good and easy?

Okie gal

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    It's not new but my favorite is lemon meringue pie.

3. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    I make these every year!

Sweet Potatoes covered in a Praline Sauce

2-3 lbs. fresh sweet potatoes
    Butter
    1.5 cups fresh pecan halves
    1 cup raw honey
    ¼ cup molasses
    ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice with pulp
    2 tbsp Kahlua liquor
    Cinnamon to cover pecans
    1/8 tsp Nutmeg

Peel sweet potatoes and apply a light coat of real butter. Wrap in foil and bake at 350° for 1.5 hours or until fork tender. Once cool to the touch, unwrap and cut into chunks. Line a baking dish with these pieces.

For the sauce, start by spreading the pecan halves on foil and applying a generous amount of cinnamon. Broil until brown and remove from heat. In a saucepan, melt ½ stick of butter then add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then remove from heat and stir in pecans and all loose cinnamon from the foil. Once the bubbling stops pour over sweet potatoes and let rest for 20 minutes covered to soak up the sauce before serving.

Leftover praline sauce is great over vanilla ice cream and cheesecake!

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm with 777, and nothing beats good ole pumkin pie. Dang I'm hungry. Later Andy

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    cant beat a fresh pecan pie,plus a big ole slice of egg custard along side of it

6. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I'd probably get lynched if I didn't bring at least two banana puddings to a family eating event:smile2:.

Jon

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    My Mothers apple pie

Mom makes a world class apple pie, Martha Stewart ain't got a thing on My Mom!

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    That would be turkey pot pie as I dont eat sweets, I like them just cant eat them as my teeth are to sensitive.

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    The all favorite Pumpkin Pie with at least 1 inch of Whipped cream covering every surface of it :big_smile:

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    "song of the south
    SWEET POTATOE PIE
    and i shut my mouth"

"gone, gone with the wind
    aint nobody lookin back again"

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ma was from Maine. Her Father would poach a deer behind their house because they needed it and also because her Mother made the best deer meat traditional Mince meat pie imaginable. Ma could replicate that pie. She kept her father's little 22 rimfire he used to hunt with, it is now hanging on my wall. One of her requests was to get her a deer with that rifle and she would make that pie. She died this spring and in one of her freezers when we cleaned it marked for Thanksgiving was a package of deer meat for Thanksgiving dinner this year.

Guess I'm goona settle for a bowl of ice cream.