What is your favorite depth finder

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by RiverKing, Feb 6, 2008.

Which depth finder do you like

1. Lowrance

2. Eagle

3. Garmin

4. Humminbird

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Whats everyones favorite depth finder, what kind do you use.What do you think is the best?

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    i got the lowrance 520-c with gps and up-graded lake maps for the bottom half of the U.S. So far so good.:big_smile:

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I Love My Lowrance 339-C-DF , I Guess Hummingbird has a new side scanner that's to DIE for according to DH but I don't know Just yet how I can get this one past the Wife,She will Squeze a Buffalo Nickle till it takes a DUMP LOL J.D.:smile2:

4. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My buddy has the 520 c and i like it better than the one on my boat, its a garmin.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I voted for Lowrance and have the 334-c and really like it. But I have heard a lot of good things about the new hummingbirds with the side view imaging.

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Ditto for me-LMS334 on the back of the boat, and an Eagle Fishmark 480 on the bow trolling motor. I'm done upgrading the sonar units on this boat, the next thing to be upgraded will be the boat!:smile2:

Then I might think about one of the new Humminbirds.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    imatt i have a hummingbird 797sci want the new big screne bird 1197 its $3000.00 ,HOW ABOUT A LOAN LOL :smile2:

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Everyone has their preferences, and mine is Lowrance. I've had cheap humminbirds, one Eagle Fishmark 480 (very good buy for the money), and several Lowrance models, including my current LMS-337c df. I've read some of the HB SI reviews here and elsewhere, looked at screen shots, and usage reports, and I went to BP on Saturday ready to buy one. There I spent maybe 30-40 minutes looking at all the different brands and models on display, played with the demo on them, etc, etc. and decided that there just isn't enough there to justify spending that extra money for the side imaging. Side imaging aside, my unit does a super job, with (in my opinion, of course) better target definition and clarity. I cover a lot of ground and find a lot of structure and fish with it, and I know that the majority of catfish caught by the brothers here do not come as a result of side imaging. So, I ended up buying an updated map card only, and came back home with lots of money still in my pocket. :big_smile:
    The side imaging units are a super interesting addition to fishing electronics, but I don't think it would totally replace my existing unit, even if I had bought one. I don't mean to detract from the positives of the Humminbirds, or influence anyone else's purchase. Just wanted to explain why I don't think I need one just yet. Thanks for listening, y'all.

9. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Fox Horizon Marker.
    It's accurate to the inch and can be used from the shore.
    It's also loads cheaper than any electronic depth finder.

:004:

Attached Files:

10. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    I am still using my Eagle Optima. But, it is almost 10 years old. Weird, it just seems like yesterday when I was agonizing over spending that much money on a depthfinder.

I have been thinking about upgrading. So, I look forward to hearing what you all are using!

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My preference is none,Never wanted to be that good,Too much fun just goin out an fishin,I would feel like a cheater if I had one.

12. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Lowrance LCX-28

13. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the point of views everyone?

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've only ever had Humminbirds. I started with a Matrix 25 or 27 and last Jan. I upgraded to the 797 side imaging. Love 'em, but they're all I've used:smile2:. Seems like everybody else's boat I get on has a Lowrance installed on it and those guys catch a lot of fish. I love the side image feature, gps, and regular sonar on the 'bird units and I'm familliar with their menus and how the buttons work so I'll probably stick with them.

15. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I did have an Eagle Fishmark 480. I loved that finder. But I upgraded about 1 year ago. I got a Lowrance LMS 525. Color screen, GPS, and alot more power. Oh yeah and I purchased a Hotmaps Premium card. I don't think the card was worth the money though.

16. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Matt I couldn't vote because I don't know enough about depth/fish finders.

I do have a ? though. Sitting here is an Eagle Ultra II that my buddy Bill bought off a guy (his neighbor) for 50 bucks. I don't think they make this model anymore, but it's obviously never been used; cables still bound and everything intact in the plastic case. I just need to go online and see if I can print out a user's manual, that's the only thing missing. So my question is, it's worth $50 right?

17. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Wow Tanya I had one of those back in 1994 it is a great unit, I just may have the manual here at the house, I'll look.............Doc

18. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Found it I made it into a PDF I'll send it to you pm...........Doc

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

Thanks Doc for helping Tanya :cool2:. Reps to ya for that! I know you are busy but it's good to see ya posting. I for one miss reading your knowledge that you bring to the board.

20. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but here is a question for the Lowrance guys. Some use 520's, which use external GPS antenna, some use 522's...same unit, internal GPS. So what's the best way to go???