What Is Your Favorite Catfish Cooked The Way You Like Them?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Ace, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    My favorite catfish to eat is the blue catfish.
    I like the white flesh the blues have.
    Next would be the channel cat.
    I don`t think I have ever eaten a flathead they may be good also.
    First dip the filets in egg then bread them in House of Autry mix, saltand pepper.
    Then deep fry until done.Mouth watering good.
    I also like the fish blackened .
    Thats the way this old country boy likes his fish.

Ace :cat:

N.C.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Had so much fish when I was a kid, I rarely eat it. Funny thing is I fry catfish as you described for my brother sometimes when he comes in from CA. I've noticed everytime I cook them, I get like an allergic reaction or small cold. WEIRD but true. I take a taste from time to time, as I fry them, but I don't really eat them for a meal anymore.

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Smoked is the best way by far to eat C. cats.

4. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    It depends on where the're caught out of.(lake,river,etc......) I like to deep fry with 50/50 of flour & cornmeal with "Old Bay' seasoning.If you never tried 'Old Bay',you'll like it.It comes in a blue & yellow can in the spice section.If cat's are caught out of a river,I'll soak 'em in flat beer.

5. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    11 to 12 inch river blues rolled in cornmeal and deepfried. it's like that beer commercial says "It just doesn't get any better than this!"

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Blue cats! seasoned with lemmon pepper, rolled in cornmeal, and pan-fried. a close second would be Bullheads (yellowbellys) seasoned with "Zatarains" fish seasoning and either deep fried whole or baked in the oven. problem is there are no blues around here, and bullheads large enough to eat are very, very rare......DANGIT!

7. jdog

jdog New Member

State:
    mo.
    blue cat,uncle bucks seasoning fried in peanut oil:)

8. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    2-3 lb. channel cats are hard ta beat. i smear a light coat of mustard on each piece, then throw all the pieces in a brown paper sack with the salt pepper and cornmeal, then shake the bag to coat the pieces. then fry in very hot oil (400-425). yumm yumm!

9. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I like fillets off 6-8 pound Arkansas River Blues (leave the blood-line, dark meat in) rolled in yellow cornmeal, lightly salted and deep-fried in freshly rendered lard. Mmmm, I hear my arteries hardening now.

ST

10. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Yall is makin me hungry. I like any of um fried with any flour or cornmeal coatin as long as it aint to spicy for my mouth. I aint picky.

11. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I like em diped in mustard, then in Louisiana fish fry, then drop em in and deep fry em till they float, let cool for a sec. and dig in. With hush puppies, and a big ole hunk of onion, now thats a meal fit for a KING.

P.S. if you don't like mustard, Louisiana hot sauce willwork just as good.

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I like flats the best, but 1 to 2 lb. blues and channels are hard to beat, roll'em in corn meal and flour with some cajun shake and deep fry them till they float. YUM!!!!!!!!!

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I like them all, But Fillet the flathead and cut out all the fat and stuff. All that is left is white meat. Then small channel cats. Or for that matter blues. LOL I like them all.
    Add 2 cups of self rising meal
    One cut of self rising flower.
    dash of garlic powder
    salt and pepper to taste.
    Take fish and add a little salt to them. roll in mix. Drop in oil and cook until done.
    Can't beat them .
    Pete

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    The 1 1/2 Channel cat is my target fish...........whole dressed or fillets, this fish was meant to be ate!!

Both flavors of the TSS fish breading are very good:)

15. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    I love cookin channel cats on the same day you caught em. I dip the fillets in beer batter,deep fry them, and serve hush puppies and fries on the side.

16. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I like blue cats in the 1 to 2 lb range. I like them fried and in a sauce piquante. I will give you my favorite secret sauce piquante.

Sauce Piquante (not for the faint of heart)

heaping old iron spoonful roux
    gallon water
    2 onions
    2 jalapeno peppers
    2 bell peppers
    head of garlic
    onion tops
    Tony's seasoning
    Red Cayenne Pepper
    2 cans Rotel tomatoes (extra hot)
    1 tomato paste
    1 tomato sauce

Marinate fish overnite in seasoning of choice. Place water, roux, rotel, paste and sauce in a large black pot. Stirring constantly to prevent roux from sticking. Let melt. Now add all vegetables and seasoning. After coming to a boil, cook on low. Let cook for at least 2 hours. Stirring often to prevent sticking. Add fish and let cook for 20 minutes. Turn heat off add onion tops and let stand for 20 minutes. Serve over rice.
    YUM YUM

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One two and three pound channels. I cut the fillets in to medallions then I do the cornmeal/flower thing (no egg)Then fry it in olive oil, in my grandmas old cast iron skillet. It makes it taste better, I swear! On my plate I always put a little butter some salt and a couple of drops of lemon juice. $%&#$% I just drooled on my key board :eek: lol ;)

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i like to dokter up my cornmealmixture with hot red chile powder not red pepper theres a big diff. it gives a nice color and good flavor if the fish are larger say 4lbs or more i sprinkle with lots of black pep and lemon then into the smoker till it flakes mmm good bullheads are great either way also

19. hodx

hodx New Member

State:
    diz
    channel...fight good and take rattletraps

20. jetdrive

jetdrive New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Another vote for the flats here, deep fried in the Louisiana seasoned mix. I also like the small channels, but the flats are in a class of their own.