What is your equipment recommendation for James River Catfishing?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by messemore, Jun 3, 2009.

1. messemore

messemore New Member

State:
    Virginia
    When fishing for that big cats on the James.

What kind of rods and reels do you uses?

What size & type line do you uses?

What kind of rigging do you uses? Float? Bottom?

If you use weight how heave is the weight?

What kind of hooks? Circles?

2. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I'm not a big expert on the Tidal James, I've only been a few times. but i'll give me .02 cents worth

Reels, Abu Garcia 6500c3 with the Power handle, And/Or 7000c3

Rods, Its Hard to beat. Ugly Stiks and Ugly Stik Tiger Rods

Line, Trilene Big Game 30-40lb test

Rigs, Carolina Rig. sinker, 100lb test Billfisher Swivel, 50-80lb Flourcarbon Leader (Yozuri-disapearing Pink) then snell knot to the Hook

weights, 2-8ounces. Bank Sinker on a Macmahon sinker slide(the plastic ones break) Or a slip through No Roll

Hooks, Circles Always. b/c theres always a release. Gamakatsu 8/0-10/0 Octopus circle

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Travis pretty much hit it on the head.

I'll just list what I use:
    Reel: Penn 320GT2
    Rod: MH Ugly Stik Tigers (BWC2202)
    Line: 40# Berkley big game mono in moss green (also have one with 80# moss green power pro...definitely use braid on smaller line capacity reels)
    Swivel: Spro 130# power swivel (love the SPRO's b/c they are super small but strong)
    Lead: 8oz minimum up to 12oz. There are times when 12oz won't hold out to the side, but I can't find bigger weights.
    Sinker Slider: alot use the plastic ones, but they wear through due to the line going through them. I've switched to using saltwater snap swivels (Tsunami), and they last forever.
    Bead: use a bead to protect the main line knot attached to the swivel.
    Leader: 60# Berkley Mono and Fluoro leader material. I think I've had better results with the fluoro, but it could be mental.
    Hooks: 10/0 Owner SSW Circle. Although the 8/0 Gama Octopus Circles are good too.
    Knots: Palomar to attach main line to swivel. Palomar to attach leader to other end of swivel. Snell my hooks.

4. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Josh and travis hit it all on the head!!!

I'm not a seasoned catfisherman but the people that taught me what I know and that I go fishing with use just about the same terminal tackle as what Josh and Travis said.. The circle hooks being the most important I think!! Especially for newbs like me!!!:eek:oooh:

Randy

5. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    You cant go wrong with that 8/0 gamagatsu! caught alot of fish on that hook, when you believe the fish is there just a low stiff sweep with the rod while keeping the line tight and you will hook up 95% of the time.

Do they make a 10/0 in the octopus circle? ive seen it in the octopus but not the octopus circle.

The no roll is the way to go for me in any river fishing wether it be here in the carolinas or the james. "fish finder" rigs or slides will work better if your trying to hold out to the side in big current, just use a good sized pyramid or something that will bite into the bottom, i personally like the "frog tongue" sinker for that.

I fish 3 Abu 6500C3s with the power handle and tiger lite H action rods cause i really enjoy a good battle but i also have 2 TLD 15s on M regular tigers which are nice in the current up there with that lower gear and bigger rod.

Power Pro braid 50lb on the abu's (80lb stren braid on the TLD 15's only because i got it 40% off) and 50lb mono leaders, snell all your hooks, and use strong swivels

Basically the same setup just personal touches, i think thats what your gonna find anywhere for big river fishing

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    DH....as far as I know, they don't make the Gama Octopus Circle in a 10/0....which is why so many use the Owner SSW 10/0 when looking for a bigger hook.

I also have a similar setup to yours with the Abu 6500 on a H Tiger Lite. What's the biggest you've caught on it and how did it hold up? I didn't list it because it hasn't been put to the test yet for me, although it's in my rotation every time I fish. The biggest so far on it is 30+. But I want it to prove to me it can handle a monster, before I put full faith in it. I think the rod will be fine, but the reel concerns me a bit as the side screws keep getting loose after fighting a fish. I was thinking of maybe swapping a Shimano Tekota 500 size for the ABU. But not sure yet.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    REALLY REALLY BIG!!!!!:smile2::big_smile:

8. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    JP. dont throw that ABU out. use a small amount of Med to Light strength of Seal Tight. Dont use the Heavy stuff, b/c you will need to get the side screws out when you service the reel. After Tighting them down, you do torque them just slightly with a screwdriver, correct?

As for the 10/0 Gamakatsu. There not common, but i've seen them. It may be a special Order Item. Personally I havent never Ordered them in size 10/0. I found that size down in Nags Head at TW's Bait and tackle, boguth all 5 or 6 packs they had. I belive I have 4 single Hooks Left. The Owner 10/0 Hook is a very reliable Hook. I've heard some Decent talk about the diachi 7/0, but personaly, I've never used them

9. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Back the screws out and dab a bit of fingernail polish on the threads and re-tighten. It will hold nicely and will break free when you need to remove them for maintenance. My recommendation is: Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails in the clear...I also use it for a great Fly Tying Head Cement. Pick it up at Wally World for less than $2.00.

Actually, this stuff is like the WD-40 of sealants: use it on anything. Rifle scope mounts, rod eye windings, fishing knots, etc. You can even peel the label off if it makes you feel better...that way your buddies won't be making any snide comments when they find it in your tackle box! :smile2:

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Caught a 43 pounder on my eater rod two winters ago. ABU 4600 C3 with 15 year old brittle 12 pound test. Took forever to land but that old reel still has a drag as smooth as silk. Finesse Josh,,,not always rip their lips out.

My regular reels is a mish mash of Shimano charter special 2000 lever drags,(Love them), Shimano TLD 10´s, Quantum Iron 435´s, and three Shimano baitrunners 6500 and 4500 spinning reels. Casting rods are all Quantum big cats. Spinning rods are ugly sticks.

11. messemore

messemore New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I really appreciate all of the great information that you have supplied.

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use a ABU 6500 but I also like my two surf casting rigs for big cats. They are a 8 1/2' and a 9' rod with big open face reels on them.