What is your definition of Catch, Photograph and Release(CPR)?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jonnycat, Feb 7, 2006.

1. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Being one who loves to eat Channel Catfish as much as beef I would like to know what is CPR to those who are willing to reply. I don't eat anything over 10lbs personally. I see there are lots of pictures of fish that are obviously important to talk about but to take these fish away from the water where they are caught just don't make sense to me. I see lots of photos with sheds and garages in the background so its a pretty sure thing these do not re-enter the waterway where they came from. I do not post pictures on the web so as not to give away any sign of, "my holes", or anyone else's for that matter. I also add that I'm not too computer savy. I do, however, take pictures on one-use throwaway cameras and I have stacks to prove it. This said, how big is the cut-off weight for CPR in your opinions. Most of the rivers and lakes for that matter here in the Mid-Atlantic have consumption advisories to consider when choosing whether or not to eat from these water systems. I don't want to get anything started that causes hard feelings. This is just a question that I'd like to get some different veiws on from different areas of the country. I'm originally from Jesup,GA where the Altamaha River flows so yes, I'm a true redneck. My dad was selling Channel Catfish in the late 50's and early 60's from the river and swamp lakes. He made more $$$ selling fish than at his 40 hour job at Rayonier in Jesup and his 3 service a week preaching position combined. We all know that the bigger fish are not as good to eat as the smaller ones so hence my question. Please be positive with replies for I am truly interested in Catch/Photograph/Release. Thanks for taking the time to veiw this thread and reply. Hope to see you on the water---jonnycat

2. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    The bigest I have eaten is the cat I caught in my pix. If I ever get one of those trophey cats it is cpr for me. Let someone else have fun too.
    Bill

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    all boils down to personal preferance, and state rules.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I cpr all catfish once in a blue moon I may keep a smaller one or two for eating but not very often. I cpr all my bass i catch cept for a decent one once in a while for eating. Panfish I keep enough for a meal for the wife and I and we cpr the rest. Trout I keep I love trout and salmon. Pics are good enough for me.

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i use cpr on all of my fish unless, i am asked by my dad or my grandma to keep a smaller channel for them to eat. usually around 3-4 pounds. And i love looking at my pictures from the past year, my computer is full of em

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I release all catfish I catch. As to the cut-off for keeping fish, Ijust feel ill if I see one over 20lbs going to the table. Once they hit that size they have beaten the odds on surviving and can now start putting on weight to become trophy caliber fish. They might put on 5 to 10 pounds a year, before you know it he's over 50. Send them back to the river.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee

There is poison in almost all catfish rivers.

The biger the fish the longer it has been in poison

So, eat only small fish and enjoy.

It would take thousand of small fish spawning to replace the offspring of just one big fish.

So

Don't eat big fish full of poison it's not good for you.

I could be wrong
    Danny

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I release all the catfish I catch, from channel cats to flatheads..The bigger fish I take a quick picture on the spot and release. I want this sport to stay around for a long time, and we have alot more catfishermen than years ago..AND alot more pressure on our waters, I just think it's the right thing to do.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm 100 % C-P-R. The only exception would be where I caught a Channel & it was dying or something, which hasnt happened in the last 4 years, so I will continue to hope it doesnt.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    :crying:

I was going to say something funny here but reconsidered.:cool: Best not to tempt fate with a man that carries a .45 and 12 spare magazines for night defense.:crying: Besides I already nominated you in another thread for OHIO Conservationist of the Year.This award is annually presented to the person that does the least damage to the OHIO fish populations.:) :p :rolleyes: ;)

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    CPR is subjective to each and every one of us. To many variables to make only a short statement at to describe it.
    1 Type of catfish in your area.
    2 What kind you target.
    3 How much catfish you eat.
    4 Quality of fish in your area.
    5 Quantity of fish in your area.
    6 Chances of fish survival.

These and more must be taken into account. Where I fish, a 10 lb channel would be considered a trophy, but a 10 lb blue is nothing more than a bait stealer. Due to hookset, exhaustion of fish, and general health of fish caught, I have kept fish I would normally release. As for a general rule, I release any healthy catfish with a good chance of survival, over 15 lb's, channels over 10 lb's. I have only rarely taken pictures, mainly due to lack of a camera at the time or fishing alone. My family loves to eat catfish, so when the freezer get low, I know a location for jugging that produces all the 2-5 lb fish I can use. For general fishing, I target the big blues on the Mississippi River and almost never bring any home.(due in no small way to my not catching many) However, I have no problem with those who choose to keep what they catch, it's their choice and none of my business. Quite often folks watching me have seen me release a large fish and asked why I did so. I am more than happy to explain CPR to them and several times, they converted over to the CPR way of life. Most had never thought of it much, but after explaining that catfishing has developed into a personal test of skills and not a need to satisfy an ego or bragging rights, they understand. When they mention that they are mainly after food and see no reason to release legally caught fish, I am more than willing to share my (secret) fishing hole where I jug. They are welcome to go there and fish all they want, (no big fish in the area, LOL). It keeps them busy catching food and they don't have time to fish the trophy waters I normally go to.
    CPR is very personal. One can challenge oneself, knowing the ones they are releasing will live to be caught again, hopefully bigger. It's also a bit spiritual, releasing a fish that has earned your repect and deserves the right to be released. Take my word for it, there are few better psychological thrills than releasing your personal best catfish with no one around to know you caught it. You know and that is enough.
    If one has the need to brag, then bring a camera and show off what you catch. A picture lasts longer and can be shown to a lot more folks than a recently caught fish.

12. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I will keep 12" to 18" fish to replentish my freezer to about 5# of fillets.If I'm with someone who wants some for his freezer I will give them my catch if needed.All the rest are catch and release.As soon as I get a cheap digital camera I will be CPR'ing them.My one large channel cat I caught was transferred to the lake where I lived,and as far as I know he is still there enjoying himself.If I need catfish for a fry with family or friends,I pick up some farm raised nuggets and fillets at the local grocery store.

BILL

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    The above was debated on in the past, here. Overall, the conclusion was the same as yours. The reason for the debate was that large catfish produce the same amount of fry as smaller fish. The reason for the conclusion was that due to large catfish living in excellent waters, having the best suited holes and ability to ward off intruders/predators, the fry from large fish have a better chance of survival.

Sorry for vearing off course of the topic of this thread, but in a way it is as good a reason as any for CPR.

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey, I'll take any Fishing (or Non-Fishing) awards that I can get! :p

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm sure I will open up a big can of worms. Pass a few around and take the rest fishing. LOL.

So the purpose of CPR is for trophy hunters. LOL.
    I've seen many big fish die after CPR just from the stress of being caught or a hook in the belly. Maybe that is why its hard to catch a big fish. They all be dying. from stress of a 30 m fight and if they are full of eggs at the time well how many get to lay those eggs. I see em belly up in my lake all the time.
    Also when I hear of a record fish caught, I also hear many of them end up dying after the show and tell is over with.

My beef is not with people who eat or CPR. I dont care much for those who CPR and think I'm a bad guy for eating a few I catch. I always do both CPR and eat. I never waste, I never keep more than I can eat and I dont pollute my waters except for maybe the little pollution my boat might produce. 40 years of boating doesn't equal one day of what industry around here puts in our waters as pollution. I hardly hear of anyone talking about the dangers of pollution to our fishing. I do hear a lot of blame it on the ones who eat a few.

no need to worry about the average fisherman who eats their catch. One day they want be able to afford to go fishing the way price of fees is going up and cost of living on everything. I have notice on my lake past 2 years. big time less cat fishermen . Mostly see fancy boats and toys now. The money people taking over. maybe we will get lucky and they dive into a fin cause of all the cats in my lake. Like the deer around here. They cut back on tags for a few years or priced out the average man from affording hunting and we are crowded with deer now. LOL.

Actually both people eater's and CPR people should work together in promoting both choices by legal and non wasteful fishing habits. Also work together on stopping pollution in our waters that kill fish and makes them un eatable. Another thing is voice about restocking habits in your state. As much as we pay to fish, park fees, boat launching fees etc. , I would think some of the state money can be used for re stocking. My lake has done
    it. That is why we have good fishing on my lake. Although, it could still be much better.
    I know CPR in my lake doesn't help a lake up state so the best thing to do is find out about the area you fish in an promote good fishing habits for that lake/area. For someone in another state telling me how to fish my lake is not helping them and they really dont know my lake's fishing population. So far there is little to worry about on fishing out all the cats on my lake.

I know everyone loves fishing spring, spawning seasons. best time to catch a lot of fish. Those fish be full of eggs. That is the best time to CPR or maybe not fish as heavily at those times. If I catch a fish that looks to be full of eggs, I will CPR it and eat catfish at a restaurant till spawning is over. Or I will fish before and have a few in freezer. Maybe just bream fish.
    Point is dont waste a good fish and dont take all the eggs out of lake.
    Speaking of that. I complain every year about my lake opening the spillway gates wide open during spawning season. That is wasting a lot of eggs. They be sucking right out the gates. I dont know why they do that every year. That reduces our fish population if you ask me by destroying the eggs going through gates. The there are the trophy hunters during spawing season. I wonder if that effects the eggs after a stressful fight with an ugly stick

There are many ways for CPR and eater guys to promote good fishing, to protect our future fishing. Much better ways than arguing with each other. .
    When I here people trying to tell me to CPR everything cause they do and cause those who eat fish is not protecting the future of catfishing. That is bull if you ask me. The average man who eats a few fish is not the problem.

It doesn't take many fish to fill a freezer. back when I fished heavily. I could run one trot line and in 2 days I would have enough eating fish to last a long time. I never ran a trot line during spawning season simply cause I wanted those eggs left in the water and protected by the fish laying them. Before and after spawning always produced good fishing for me.
    Beam fishing during catfish spawning is a lot of fun.
    Throughout the years I have change my fishing habits and try even harder to promote good fishing habits.

Guess what I'm saying is, the average fishermen who eat and CPR is not the number one problem of reducing our fishing for the future. The more both styles of fishing work together instead of against each other , the better our fishing will be.
    If we cant depend on our state parks and wildlife to stay on top of best fishing habits and protection of our fish, lakes, then who can we trust and if not them, why do we even have a Parks and Wildlife Dept.

Another thing, I dont pay out all my money in fishing so commercial fisherman can have the benefits in way of their profits etc. Many commercial fisherman are causing damage to our fishing population. They want to make money and I want to have fun with my family or relax and have a few for dinner. They have the money, let them restock are back off.

On a side note. I wonder if some CPR everything because they cant eat the poluated fish from their waters and maybe cause your state laws is not taking care of buisness.

I'm glad I live in Texas when it comes to catfishing. Us country rednecks take care of our fishing waters a little better. Only real problem is pollution starting to take over. That aint good and so for our past and present leaders or slacking on the job when it comes to capping off pollution. I can think of 2 Texas Governors who didn't do their job on the pollution issuer. One moved up. The other is going for re election. Too bad he isn't running for dog catcher, he would get my vote for that.

How many trophy hunters have things set up and ready with the right contacts etc. to get that record recorded without continue stressing out the fish that will most likely die the longer it stays in captivity. Are you prepared for the sake of the fish. I know a few on this site is prepared.

16. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I'm glad to see the replies being honest and positive. It sometimes seems that newcomers to a sport feel that the physical presence of an item is the only way to relate the story that goes with it. I personally do most of my fishing alone and at night. Partly due to scheduling conflicts and the other is so no one knows where I am fishing. More often than not the boat closest to you has no clue who is in the next boat over. I think watching a big fish scurry away from the boat is so neat. Knowing I just had him, weighed and got a picture, then let him go free is a good feeling. Thanks again for the positive replies and keep them coming. Later for now---jonnycat

17. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I can't remember the last time I kept a catfish. Usually I will keep some bluegill's to fish with and that is about it. I don't even take pictures anymore of anything less than 36" long. Our river is especially filthy when it comes to contaminents so eating a large catfish would be silly. I have seen a guy who sometimes fishes downriver keep 20# fish and larger, he would canoe upstream on his way home and proudly display the fish on a stringer. I would act impressed but, was completely p.o'd and disgusted with him. Let's just say that me and this guy don't get along for more than just that reason.

18. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I with Nick, I can not remember the last time I kept a catfish. Heck, I do not like to clean them:eek: :eek: I will take a picture!:)

19. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Dano just about said it all!

20. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    you need a balance of CPR and those keeping the fish

its important to release the larger fish to keep a good fishery .. i'll try to find it again but larger fish release more eggs .. something like a 5lb fish releases 1,000 eggs and a 20lb fish releases 15,000 eggs .. its close to that, when i find the numbers again i'll post them

its also good for people to occasionally keep the smaller ones .. too many fish competing for the forage is also bad .. the more competition the smaller the average size of the fish is going to be

personally i keep nothing .. i've never fished a river where it was OK to keep and eat the fish that were caught .. while i know people keep and eat some anyway (which isn't very smart considering the advisories) i know i never will .. i'm part of the balance by not keeping any

circle hooks are very important in getting a fish back unharmed .. i've never ever had a gut hooked fish with circle hooks and to my knowledge have therefore never killed a fish with the circle hooks .. getting them quickly to the boat is also important .. i fight a fish hard enough to get it in quickly without jeopardizing a broken line or such .. lastly its important to keep the camera close at hand to be able to shoot a picture quickly and return the fish to the water as fast as possible .. also NEVER EVER just drop them back in the water after a long fight .. hold them in the water, running water over their gills until they are ready to go .. let them regain their strength .. when they are ready to go you'll know it and they'll swim away no worse for wear EVERY TIME