What is your Definition of a Trophy Catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Pip, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Have been thinking about this for a while. To some a trophy might be a 10# channel or a 20# flathead or Blue. Some might even think a trophy is anything they can catch. For the catfishermen who has that body of water close by and catches catfish in the 30 to 70# range regularly. Anything under a 20# blue or Flathead might be considered an average fish or a bad day. But to somebody that might not catch those size cats, a 20# Flathead or Blue might just be considered a once in a lifetime catch.

I'm curious as to what a lot of others think a ""Trophy" might be, or their requirements might be. Thought about doing a poll, but then I'm not really sure how to go about it or even the proper choices. Could be an interesting topic of discussion.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ain't lookin for a trophy. If it comes cool. I just luv to fish period.

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Heck the way i have been doing lately, an catfish would be a trophy to me :wink: :smile2:

4. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    To me the "trophy" lies in the way the angler caught the fish. For example a 5 pound catfish caught on UL equipment with 4 pound test line may be more "trophy" worthy than a 10 pound catfish caught on heavy equipment with 50 pound power pro. The satisfaction and gradification of doing your best on a specific type of equipment is what makes a "trophy" in my book. JMHO :wink:

Ray

5. softball434

softball434 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    A trophy to me is a huge blue or flathead catfish.

6. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Not sure about this one. I am fortunate enough to live in west Tennessee and have such great fisheries here. I mostly fish on the Tennessee and Mississippi rivers. My average fish last year on the Tennessee weighed 7lbs and I would consider any 30+lb blue a trophy on the impoundment that I fish. My average fish on the Mississippi last year was 31lbs. I would say that a real trophy there would be a 50+. It is not uncommon to hear of people catching 30+lb blues there and you hear of people catching 40+lbers quite often. It doesn't matter where I'm at a 30+ will definatly get his picture taken. This is only my opinion of the water that I fish and everywhere is different. I've had a few people in the boat that have caught a 20lber+ and were as happy as can be and caught their "trophy". A trophy to me would be a fish that weighed enough that it would not be easily beat by a larger weight on that body of water. I am positive that both areas that I fish could easily put out a world record at anytime. Good thread makes me think.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Here in our western Pa. rivers,I consider any flat over 10# a decent fish,10# to 20#,s a good fish,20# to 35# a big fish,and everything over 35# a trophy.:wink:.

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Wesley.

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well seeing as i've only caught a couple 5 lbers in my entire life Id go for a cat 10+ and be happy!:eek:oooh:

10. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well for me it goes a few different ways...when I lived in knoxvill tn a trophy fish was a blue or flat over 40lbs....which were very common....but I live in nebraska now and a trophy fish would be anything over 20 pounds....there are big fish in some of our rivers but not as common as tennessee

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    to me a trophy on a blue would be 30lb or more i am shooting for 30 in 2010 work my way up lol

12. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    for me its 25 or bigger.

13. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    right now for me I want a 30. I'd consider any fish that fought it's weight a trophy. That includes trying to get into snags and posing a challenge.

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i think it really depends on where ya live, some places a 25# is pretty common and in others its a once in a life time fish, so i would say a trophy would be anything that is beyond the norm

15. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree with the gentleman who all said it depends on where you are fishing. Prior to fishing the James a 20LB Cat was a fish of a lifetime to me and never really even considered it possible so I never thought about catching one. Here at the James to me 40lbs is a trophy, i've caught a few, but 70-80 is my goal as a trophy. Although I have had 2 dreams (silly ones too) of setting the Va record (117) and the world record (140+) :smile2:

16. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
  17. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I've been fortunate enough to have taken a lot of people out over the years and one thing seems to be a constant telltale of what is considered a trophy and it never gets old seeing that look. Not really sure that there is a defined definition of what a trophy really is. But what ever it is, It keeps people going back to the waters time after time in search of that moment

18. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    my trophy is on a bun with tartar sauce :big_smile::cool2:

19. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I guess this year I've caught fish that people would consider trophies,I considered them motivation to head back out after bigger fish maybe break 30# next year

20. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I read this yesterday and have been thinking about it. I think I would have to say it would depend on the body of water I was fishing. A small pond with nothing but bullheads then a 3 lber would be a trophy, a small creek a 10 lber. In a large river or lake any thing over 30 lbs would be a trophy to me. On other fish it would be one of a size that you do not catch very often.