What is your bait tank filter? PLS HELP!

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by bnt55, Aug 20, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I am sitting here scratching my head trying to come up with a nice and neat way of building an inline filter for the water I am aerating. Basically I will be installing a "drain" with screen at the bottom of the tank going directly to a 750 gph pump from there I will be running water through a "filter" then into a oxygen infusing spray head spraying into the tank. I am toying with the idea of using a 6" plumbing tube with fittings on both end and some sort of filtering media in the middle staining the water, the only issue I see is how soon would some pillow stuffing get clogged up? Does anyone have any better ideas?? I am all ears!

Thanks
    BIll

Attached Files:

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Use a T fixture The outlet that is at a right angle needs to have a screw in plug. I put hardware cloth in the water outlet end to keep the filter material in. Unscrew the cap put filter material in replace cap, When it gets dirty unscrew cap and replace. Mine last about 4 days on a 100 gal tank.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    The problem with inline filters is that if they block up there is no flow.
    If there is any chance that you might not be able to change the filter when it gets blocked you would be better to go with an overflow box type (bypass) set up.
    I am out of the house 12 hours a day and if it were to get blocked just after I leave then it might not get fixed for 12-18 hours if things turned to crap at work.
    With the overflow set up when the filter media gets full the water will still circulate and provide aeration. Also, don't make the screen ahead of the pump too fine because if it gets clogged your pump will be starved of water...W

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Good idea. I'm home most of the time so I check mine every time I go by it.

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    750 gallon's per hour? How big is your bait tank the size of a small swimming pool:wink:Those poor fish don't stand a chance against that kinda power lol

6. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    maybe thats overkill but it is a 45 gal tank and I am also adding oxygen which breaks up the flow not to mention it is being sprayed into the water from overhead. This is for a boat livewell/bait tank. Thanks for the tips, maybe I can rig up a tupperware box with an inflow some filter media then an outflow to the sprayer...if the media gets clogged the water could just go around it...of course that negates the effect of a filter in the first place...arrrgghhh:angry:

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
  8. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If your using a 750GPM pump with only 45 gal. Set up a Gravity filter. Put a Y in the line so you can use your spray to deliver oxygen and filter the water. If you use a gravity filter... lets say 35 gal drum to 55 gal drum. You add that much more water to your system, which always helps.

Here is a video of my set up. There are other ways to make it work but this is the one I've set up for this year. Hope it helps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1YWYaMrnDo

9. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    this setup is in a boat, and I wanted an enclosed system to reduce spillage and filling up the boat. Thanks for the link biga, I have been looking at the akwalung but they are $189 and after I get done spending money on the tank build itself there isnt $189 left over:roll_eyes:, also there is the continual purchase of filter media (akwapure), not sure how long the stuff lasts per use with shad in the tank, very nice system tho.

10. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    you can recharge the white media by simply soaking in salt water, or if your using it for shad you recharge the black media by rinsing with fresh water, it last for along time! you can spend money a pretty tank that wont hold fish or spend money on the heart of the system and use any container that hold water and keep bait for weeks!

good luck

11. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY

yeah...yeah, I know! I will eventually end up with an akwalung tank, your system covers the bases very effectively. I guess now I just need a plastic tank that is 30-36" in diameter round to put in the front of the boat.

Quick question for Steve...if I use my tank for baitfish one day with salt added and the next use it for keeping saugers or walleye for dinner, do I have to change the filter media to white if there is no salt in the water for the dinner fish?

12. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    black media you can use salt, bait fish only! white media is for live tanks for eating fish and you can not use salt!