What is your all time favorite fish tale/storie?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Alabamacatman, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    I figured we could hear alot of good ole fish tales here..So what is your favorite story you like to tell and the campfire?

2. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Carl, the guy I fish with sometimes and I were fishing Burr Oak Lake here in SE Ohio for Crappie a few years ago. He had a little gold hook on his line and it was not baited nor in the water. Just dangling at the end of the rod over the side of the boat while he was piddling around in his tackle box.
    All at once we heard a splach and the rod moving. A Crappie had jumped out of the water and grabed that bare hook. (If anyone is ever in the go go joint on south High St. in Columbus, Oh. ask Carl about it.

Also fishing with same guy. We were at Lake Weiss Alabama, this past March. He caught a totally white channel cat. We both wanted a picture of the fish and camera was back in the truck. We put the cat in the livewell and that evening when we got back to the truck the cat had truned a normal Channel Cat color. We both noticed when he caught the white cat that it was not a true albino as it had normal color eyes. May be a common thing but neither of us had ever seen one like that.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was fishing a tournament with a guy named Bill. His bladder was full and he decided to relieve himself at the back of the boat. While he was seeking relief the boat came up against a stump and stopped. When he was finished I asked him to push us off. He reached out to a piece of standing timber and gave a push. The tree was rotten and broke. You guessed it, he fell in his urine.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  4. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    Those are some good ones ..keep em coming

5. festus

festus New Member

Betcha he was urinated off.

This past spring I was bottom fishing below a dam with live creek chubs about 4" to 7" long. Was using a Carolina rig, and I usually tie a bead above the sinker to protect the knot and line. Well, this time I had tied the bead on the wrong side of the swivel, and it would slide down to the hook. I figured this wouldn't hurt anything and I was too lazy to retie. I chucked out a big creek chub and later something almost pulled my pole in. Grabbed my rod, fought the fish for a couple of minutes, and it got off. I could tell it was a brownish fish, figured it was a smallmouth or a walleye about 4 pounds. A fishing buddy to my right got a better look at it and said he'd bet money it was a smallmouth. Anyway, I reeled my rig back in, and a yellow bass about four inches long hit my red circle hook with the big blue bead above it about 10 feet from the bank. As I was unhooking the little fish, another angler to my left says, "Now that's the first time I've seen a fish hit a minnow bigger than he is.

6. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    This one of many. One time I was bank fishing at a lake, and the channel went right by the bank a 10-12' drop straight off the bank. I caught a nice carp, and a guy on a boat asked if he could have it, and I said sure. So his buddy pulls up to the bank, the guy jumps off the boat thinking he is gonna hit bottom, nope right over his head and then some. The look and reaction on his face was priceless.

7. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    lol thats was a good one...I bet he was hunting some charmin when he got up..

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The one where the shark was as long as the boat.
    I look at the guy and wondered if he realized we were on a 60 footer.:wink:

9. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    A 400 lb. catfish swallowed my ex-wife... Oops, did I say that. Aren't some fish stories supposed to be ficticious once in a while? :smile2: Any way, thanks for the post... gettin some good fish stories.

10. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    One sunday afternoon a friend of mine who lived in Bristol Rhode Island, but worked in Newport Rhode Island was out for a Sunday drive with his wife, and decidied he would take a side trip to Pourtsmouth ( Thats a town between Bristol and Newport), to show his wife where he fished at night after work with his friend, (that being me) before arriving home often late at night fishless, but claiming to have been fishing. I know a few other guys who spent a lot of time night fishing to no avail who had this problem. It often caused great suspicion with the wifey.
    Anyway today was his LUCKY day, because that sunday afternoon I was bait fishing there at our favorite spot in Portsmouth, and as LUCK would have it. JUST as they were getting out of the car, I was landing this 35 pound STRIPER. He came runing over and helped me land the Striper, Turned to his wife and said "HONEY this is my fishing friend I was telling you about". Her reply was "HONEY you can go fishing with him at night afterwork any time you like". After that I never had to BUY the BEERS. :)

Attached Files:

11. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Been there, done that. After closing time drive over to the river. Get out and roll around in the sand and mud and head home. Honey, didn't get a bite tonight, just a few nibbles. Always worked great on afternoon shift (4-12):0a1:

12. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    Lol those are some good ones..I need a friend like that to supply me with some beverages..he sure he didnt mind..
    Well i have several good stories that I'll post hear soon.i got busy and didnt have time.. but i will

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've had a slew over the years. Maybe not my favorite ,but one of them is The time my father in law and I were trout fishing the Illinois river at Gore OK. There were some huge gar swimming along the river with the trout. I manages to hook into a brute with my ultra light trout rod with 4 lb line. Nope I didnt get it in,never even got to try. I set the hook and the gar never flinched ,as the line snapped :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: But I did show my Father in law that I could hook one.:wink:

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    OOPS, I posted in wrong thread.
    I caught a fish by the tail once

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  15. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    April either 87 or 88, Got of work at midnight, Drove to Norris Lake Tn.for a 4 day trip. Had one of the park cabins reserved. Got there early morning and fished till near dark, Beautiful day and caught a few fish. Looked outside next morning and snow was coming down. Flipped on tv and was calling for like 20 inches before dark. By the time we hit Ohio that afternoon we were in like 12 inches of snow, I think we got a total of 24 inches
    Couple years later Muskingdom River. 5 miles from boat ramp. Came a dounpour with a flash floods that killed some people, Was lucky to get back to ramp.
    March 05, drove to Weiss lake Al. for a 5 day Crappie trip. first day beautiful, lots of fish. Next 2 days record dounpours with very high winds, home early
    March 07, Douglas Lake Tn for Crappie for 4 days, Day 1 beautiful and good fish, day 2 & 3 record dounpours, home early
    Sept 09, to Biloxi Miss. for gulf fishing, first 2 days on piers weather ok to windy, morning to go on gulf boat, total dounpour with small craft warnings, Home early.
    Plus several trips to lake Erie only to have weater bite us in the A@@.
    These trips were all with same guy, fished with him for near 50 years but he is a total jinkx. We still laugh and joke about it
    Oops, almost forgot the grandaddy of them all. Santee-Cooper SC Jan 07 for a Guided Blue trip. Got on boat , guide was an alcoholic. He put away at least 2 pints of vodka we know of and finally passed out. We were both ready to dump his sorry butt over board. Later heard the guy died. This was mostly our fault as the guy was a friend of a friend , We tried to cut corners on $ and lost our butts.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  16. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    To this day I never will forget this incident, it happened in Northeastern Oklahoma.

I was catfishing below an outlet, off the boat ramp, and this fellow who was in 70's came down and started fishing beside me, he had his 7-8 year old granddaughter with him we were catching a few and I was giving them all the fish I was catching.

Then this truck pulled up with a brand new bass boat on it, the guy couldnt back very good, and we were sitting on the edge of the ramp, watching him, it took him 15 minutes to back down 30 feet.....

When the guy got the truck even with us he start yelling at the older fellow, and told him how stupid he was for fishing by the ramp? He never said a word to me. The old man just took it....

The guy gets the boat unloaded, and takes his truck to the parking lot, pulls off down stream, just a hauling turns around and drops anchor right in front of us where we were fishing.....40 feet from where he launched.

We were pulling in the cats that day..... then a funny thing happened, I notice the front end of the boat getting higher and higher....I saw the water was coming in the back...I asked the older fellow, "You think we aught to tell him his boat is sinking?", the old man replied, "Naw he is a lot smarter than us, he told us so, so I am sure he knows it is sinking."

So we are sitting there and watching the fun....the guy keeps fishing....then all of a sudden he is jumping around yelling his boat is sinking. The old fellow said, "See how smart he is." By this time I was on the ground laughing so hard, I was crying...

The guy let the boat drift back down to the ramp, and using the trolling motor he got it tied off at the ramp. On his way up the ramp, the old guy says to him....."Faulty Plug?" The guy loaded his boat up and left....

17. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My brother and sister were fishing off Cape Cod on opposite sides of my Dad's sail boat. My sister got a bite and then my brother. They started reeling them in and discovered they had both caught the same fish. They had to walk their lines to the bow of the boat to pull the Flounder up.

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've posted one,My all time fav is ,When I was around 6-7 I wanted to have my own trotline ,just like my granpa's. Well gramps helped me make one about 30 ft long with 5-6 snelled eagle claws on it,[bout the only kind then]I set it in a dip along the bank,baited it with large minnows. The next morning he wakes me up,you need to run your line. I say,I aint gonns get nuthin, He says ohh, but you got a biggun!!. So I get dressed and run down to the water ,There was a huge carp on my line. now I look back and it was most likely 4-5 lbs,then it was a great fish:cool2: Any ways I got it in,cant remember what ever happened to it ,But years later after his death, My mother and grams were telling me how he fished all night to catch a fish to put on my line so I wouldn't be discouraged.

19. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aw.. I love this.

Great stories everyone, these are great reads. I'll add some of mine when I find the time.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  20. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I hope you won't mind a hunting tale..

There was a family up in the hills of NC who had some world class coon dogs. And the best of the best belonged to the youngest of the brothers and the others would pick at him because they were jealous.
    One day the brothers were tearing down the old family farmhouse that their great grandfather had built. And the whole time they were picking on the kid brother about his dog. Once they pulled up the floor, They could see in the dirt under the floor was a 60 year old dried up mudhole and in the center of the mudhole was a set of coon tracks.

One of the brothers says I bet your "Worlds greatest coon dog" can run that track can't he. It made the younger brother mad so he got his dog and put him on the old track and off he went ! Up over the top of the mountain and soon was out of hearing. Days went by and no dog. Even the brothers were sorry for the terrible thing they had done.

After 3 weeks the phone rang and the person asked for the youngest brother. He got to the phone and said hello. THe voice on the other end said. Its the strangest thing I've ever seen.. I got your number off a dogs collar. Do you own a black and tan hound ? Yes the young man said ! HAve you seen him ? Seen him the man said ! He is about to tear my basement apart !
    Whats he doing in your basement said the young man. THe man said I have no idea. He acts like he is after something on the shelf but theres nothing there but boxes of really old clothes that belonged to my grandpa when he was a kid.
    Where are you at the young man asks and is told Seatle Washington.. Wow said the young man.. Would you mind letting him see inside the box and calling me back to tell me what he's after ? Sure the man said and hangs up. 10 minutes later the phone rings and its the man again. You ain't gonna believe this. But your dog has my grandpa's old coon skin cap tree'd in my basement !
    THe young man gets the man's number and says he is going to check on shipping etc and will call back. He does call later and asks the man a strange question. How much would you take for the coon skin cap he asks. The man says well its moth eaten and worthless. You can have it the guy says but why on earth would you want it. The young man says He had checked every kind of shipping he could find and could not afford to ship the dog home. But he says, Ship me the cap and wait a week then turn the dog loose !
    Snicker