What is wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by FireWater, May 14, 2007.

1. FireWater

FireWater New Member

State:
    Texas
    OK this subject has been repeated over and over. But will someone please explain how a circle hook works? Not how to fish it just how it works once the fish takes the hook. I look at some of the circle hooks that I have and they all have a bent in tip. Last weekend after I said I was done with them I gave them one more try off the side of the river. The fish would just tap the hook and never take the bait. I was using worms for bait. The other rod was an old j hook. With the j hook tap tap fish on!! What was I doing wrong with the circle? I really would like to use these hooks but have had not luck with them. Maybe a photo, drawing, or video would help me on how they work. I know they have to load the rod but if they don’t take the bait and just tap it over and over till your bait is gone what do you do.

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Once the fish has picked up your bait and starts to run with it and the pole loads up the circle hook will turn and hook the fish in the corner of the mouth, dont try setting the hook just start reeling, but only when the fish is running with the bait. I personally only use circles when fishing with live or cut bait. I dont use worms on circle hooks because it attracts to many small fish, and its unlikley that they are going to get a 6/0 hook in there mouth. Try the circle with larger baits that will attract the larger fish. If you havent already done so check out the BOC libary on using circle hooks. I hope this has helped.

3. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    yep, like splitshot says. your drag should be tight and when the fish sucks in the bait and starts to run, the hook slides towards the lips again and turns to catch the fish in the side of mouth. j hooks don't do this and with circle hooks, when you get the tap! tap! , just leave it until the rod does the bend! bend!..

good luck..

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It depends on what size Circle you are using for what size fish. I like the little circles for bait fishing. These are smaller than a dime. These small hooks work well. However, for cats I use bigger hooks. For channels I use a 5/0-6/0. IMHO there is not a better hook made for boat drifting 2-10lb channels. I typically use an 8/0 Octopus Circle for live bait although I just ordered a pkg of 10/0 King Kahles. Each has it's use. You can't blame using an 8/0 hook with a single nightcrawler on it if the little buggers are pecking at it.

If I were you I'd get a little circle or a long narrow aberdeen brass hook, use that worm to catch the little pecker, take my filet knife and reduce that pesky fella to 2 scaled fillets and a head (3 pieces of fresh cut bait), put one of those USDA choice cuts on a big circle and find yourself amazed that there are 10lb channels in that place you always caught "squealers" (1 1/2 lb. and below).

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Circle hooks aren't all the same. Different folks make em different ways.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You are correct. I use Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus Circle hooks. The only other Circle I would even consider would be a Daichi.