What is up with this

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by r ward, May 14, 2007.

1. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I heard on the news that the DNR is triing to get rid of the flathead cats in the Satilla[sp]river by Watcross cause they get up to 50lbs and eat the smaller fish what is up with the DNR don't they have anything better to do?

2. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    What does DNR stand for?:confused2:

3. jamrens

jamrens New Member

State:
    rome, georgia
    departmen of natural resorces(SP)

WhIt

4. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    the dnr has been trying for a long time to shock them out, they are devastating the redbreast in that small river, the locals want them gone, but i think after talking to a biologist from waycross that they are losing the battle.

5. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I've heard the flatties were biting really well on the satilla near folkston. Me and the wife went up Sat night and lost one and had a few other hits that seemed like gar. We had trouble finding bream for bait that evening in places that I thought they would be. We ended up catching six right before sunset to use as bait. All the bream were better than hand size and healthy. I was thinking it was the best bream river I've seen in a while. I hate that they are trying to get rid of the flatties though, it's a very nice river and a lot closer for me than the altamaha.

6. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    The DNR is doing what most people want and that is try to keep the Satilla a fine redbreast/bream and bullhead river. Even though I love fishing the Altamaha for flatheads, it has changed due to the flathead catfish. The Satilla will also do the same and that scares some people that have fished the Satilla for bream, redbreast, and bullheads. I know some folks at the DNR and I am proud of the job they do. It just seems like the DNR waited too long for this to start to happen because they have to get funding and show what the money is for, blah, blah, blah. This takes time. Like Carl said, and I have seen how many flatheads are already in the Satilla, they will probably lose this battle. They probably should start on the St. Mary's since there are reports of flatheads in there already.

7. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I've heard alot of theories about how these flatties spread. The most logical was one I read in one of my magazines a few months back that talked about them being able to leave the harbor and travel down the coast then back up the next river. This seems more logical than illegal introduction, for a growth rate like we are seeing. If this is true, it seems that the DNR is fighting a losing battle. I hadn't heard anything yet about them being in the St. Mary's, but it seems they are moving south. Myself, as a catfisherman I don't mind seeing the spread at all. However I do realize that the ecosystem has to maintain a certain balance. I don't know how the Altamaha has changed since I've only fished it for a year, but I've had no poroblem catching bream when I'm there. Good luck to you all, I'll be heading to the satilla tommorrow night to check out a new area of the river.

8. CATBUSTER

CATBUSTER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    DNR MEANS.........RABBIT POLICE

9. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    At least they're using all the meat to feed homeless and needy families, it's not a complete waste.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    This well within the realm of possibility.
    When we had the Heorgia gathering on the Altamaha several years ago the river was really high.
    I heard a radio report while down there at the gathering saying they were catching bream 3 miles off the coast due to the influx of freshwater from the Altamaha.

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Possum'cop around here:big_smile: