What is trophy size

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by on_the_fly, Sep 21, 2007.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I hear alot about trophy size fish and have cought some big fish myself but I was just courious as to what yall think or feel a trophy fish is. Myself I feel that its all in the eye of the beholder. For lets say my son cought a 4 lbs'er that to him would be a trophy fish or one of my friends a 10 lbs'er would be his for me a trophy fish would have to be a fish that would surpass my PB for that type of fish.

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anything I have to cut into to fit in my #14 lodge skillet!!!
    1. My 2 pound plus bluegill
    2. My 6 pound cat on canepole
    3. My 6 pound plus bass on ultralight rod and reel
    4. My lovely wife!!!!

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I'm with Mr. kkyyoottee on this one... but for catfish, I consider any catfish over 10 pounds a trophy. All trophy catfish are CPR'ed on my boat along with most of the smaller ones. I don't want to hurt the catfish population.

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa

If your fishing has been like mine this summer I dont think we have to worry about hurting the catfish population!!!!:big_smile: I think the key is some people fish for trophy's other people just plain fish. I admire the people who turn big fish loose!!! We dont fish for big fish so we dont worry about it. But we treat each little fish as a trophy before deciding to put it back in water to swim another day.!!! And as my grandpappy told me where do you think those big ol cats came from? The tooth fairy? No by people practicing conservation by only taking what they need and use!!!

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I havent had the pleasure of catching a trophy cat......YET. But i have gotten close .I consider any over 20 a trophy cat as for other fish, a17 inch 2 1/2 lb black crappie
    9 1/2 lb bass
    12 inch redear sunfish
    29 inch 8 lb 12oz walleye

6. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    What makes a trophy cat is for sure in the eyes of the fisherman or women who caught it. It has lots to do with there you fish and how much time you spend doing it. The river I fish is full of 30lb to 40lb flatheads and blues 20lb are very common. I catch several 30lb flats every year and blues up to 15lbs all the time. I think a trophy Blue is anything over 30lbs and a 40lb flat is where I really want a picture of it. I can understand where a 10lb fish would be a trophy to many though! It was to me years ago. I release every fish that I catch that I don't want to bring home for a meal and I do not waste any fish! All small cats go back and most all big fish do. A 3 to 5lb fish is perfect in my book, but I will keep and clean out bigger ones when I want to have a big fish fry for my friends. I have caught flats up to 67lb and lost bigger ones at the boat, till I built a huge landing net! Now I can get them in! lol Any way this is a huge country with many places to fish and some places hold Much bigger fish that others. So a 10 lb fish is a good fish and to some a trophy but to some one else it might be bait.

7. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    Tough question! Personally, I'm proud of Tennessee for their attitude toward catfish! We now have a "trophy" size limit on cats, only one may be kept per day that is 34" or larger, and applies to comercial as well as recreational fishermen. This may not seem like a big deal to many, but it is protecting our big cat population and is creating a wonderful trophy cat reputation for us. In addition, Tennessee has an Angler Recognition Program that considers a 34" blue or flathead and a 30" channel cat "trophy" fish and all you have to do is have a witness or take a picture next to a tape measure, so you can release the fish. Of course, personal bests are always trophies and should be photographed and remembered, no matter what size they are!

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Glad to hear of this reg. However is there any teeth to the new law? Just curious as to the ammount of followup. THANX!

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I gotta say and agree that it depends on the angler who's fishing. If I take my brother or dad out a 8 or 9 lb. fish is going to top anything they have caught in there whole lives so I would say that is a trophy for them.

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I myself think a trophy fish is over 50lbs. Its always been a marker weight for me. Chances are I wont ever catch one but I'm gonna keep trying for sure. My 20# from last week is my Personal record and I'm pretty darn proud of it but its still not my trophy fish, just a darn nice catch. To me a 50# cat would be a chance of a life time.