what is this

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ibmeubu, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I need help to try and identfy these pieces of what look to be short carbon sticks about 1/4" diameter and about 2" long. I have about 12 springs on my place and in the last 3 years I have found three of these. They have to be coming from under ground. If you know what an arc gouge rod looks like then that is what these look like but short and no copper coating.....Believe me they are not gouge rods. I tried writing with them (carbon) but will not mark. these springs have been in my family since the 1800's . No one knows what took place if anything here years ago that could give a clue what they are or what they were used for. attaching pictures Can anyone help

Attached Files:

2. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    :0a14:Uhhh, they look like little small black "thingies" to me. Sorry, just kidding around. Not a clue! But you can bet I'll keep checking back to see if anyone else knows.:0a16:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Phillip,I've found lots of those around old homesites,I allways figured they were the cores from old D cell battery's.

4. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Richard
    Seems like I can remember my grand daddy saying something about they had 12vdc lights in the old house that is still standing here. it was built before 1920. There was a flume that ran down the hollow here about a mile to an old griss mill. Your idea about the old battery cores would be right on .This could be the site that they had a water wheel or ram pump to run the generator(dc) to charge the batteries.I really think you may have hit right on. If I can find someone still alive that may remember. My mother is 89 and if I jog her memory she may remember something. Like I said I have found three pieces each about a year apart. I thought maybe the martians had a big charcoal filter down there. Thanks again Richard

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I'm thinkin they are the carbon rod from old batteries. We used to go pick up old batteries on the railroad tracks and open em up to get rods like that outa them. Not positive, but thats my guess.

6. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    OK now I agree that these could be old battery cores and I did find out they did have electricity back in the early 20's but after talking to my mother she says they used what was called a dyno therm or something like a generator and it used either gas or coal-oil . Why do you think these are just showing up in just one spring. If this was a dc generator I can understand them charging the batterys for use at night so they wouldn't have to run the generator all night. But I would think they would be big batterys . Did they make different kinds of batteries back then

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The spring tipped it off for me. Paleontologist Sir Herbert Long discovered fossils off a long extinct Hair (named after him) and they are commonly found around the gray rock springs of Tennessee.What you have there is a petrified Long rabbit turd! :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2: lol

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    one way to find out for sure is take it to the game and fish.they will jump rite on it if you tell them you found it in water.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I believe Richard has the answer.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My uncle had a 6 volt wind charger for house lights. For storage, it used a bank of large batteries. Each battery was in a 5 gal glass container. This was back in the 40's before REA made it to the farms in west Texas. Don't remember but the batteries probably had carbon rods.