what is this OB?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by drpepper, May 29, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    can someone tell me anything about this like year etc whee can I get parts I may need:confused2:

Attached Files:

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bill There is a model number on that motor some where, get it and post it and I'll get you info on what you need.

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thank you bubba. I should've known to do this to begin with!

* model # FD-13 R *

* SERIAL# 1930925 *

Bill

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    year 1959
    original list price 395.00
    hp 18
    max rpm 4500
    weight 77 lbs

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    wow thanks, right down to the price.... be nice if a new 18 hp was still 395 huh? lol

are basic parts still available for this motor I wonder.....

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Points and condensers and coils can be gotton and also carb kits. That was one of the first engines that came out with an actual roller bearing. The rule of thumb is to run the mix at 24 to 1 in any motor made before 1964 but on that engine and the 35 h/p in the same year you can run the mix at 50 to 1.

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    oh yeah, :beat_brick: I forgot about the points and condenser dayz, not too long after the invention of the sails and gasoline. :roll_eyes: didnt even cross my mind about that. Well, think this thing would be a worth while motor to crank wrenches on? and who's got these parts? johnson? or will it be aftermarket? thanks- Bill

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The parts will most likely be after market. As being worth it that would be entirely up to the wrench puller. I have a 59 ,35 h/p that I have let set for a long time and if you may need a coil or two I may be persuaded to pull the flywheel off and send them to you. But On another note as for value they don't have any collectors value.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    okay, let me just dig into this thing some... try to get a better idea of what I'd be dealin' with here if I feel can make it reliable reasonably$$$- I'll do it! If you got any tips- I'm all ears. I'll keep ya posted, and if I need those parts I'll be hollerin' also.

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Digging this thing out and looking at it AGAIN. Is this a different type fuel system?

At the fuel line connector, there is a fuel "prong" and an AIR prong.
    Some guy told me this motor takes an electric fuel pump:confused2: is that right?
    I want to get this thisg going... the guy said it'll take around a 200 dollar fuel tank with the pump?????????

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you can find one for 200 you would be lucky. I have the instructions written down in my many disks and floppies to chang that over to a fuel pump type system. I'll start digging and see if I can locate it.

12. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i am thinking the original fuel tank has a primer like a coleman lantern to get the fuel up to the carb and after it starts crankcase pressure pressurizes the tank.. no electric pump needed.... i have had a few of those era motors over the years they can be as reliable as any other... check the wireing and make sure the insulation isnt flakeing off...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I eyeballed it the hell out of it, It's in excellemt shape... Wire insulation is perfect, everything is there, It has spark, and with a little shot of fuel it'll sputter.... What's the solinoid on the choke?

Bubba, I don't have the tank, and I'm Very interested in a Conversion... so I'd appreciate you checking that out for me!!!

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    What's the solinoid on the choke?

It should be an electric choke.

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ok, looking at it... looks like you manually choke it, and the solenoid automatically pushes the choke off?

Man there is a 5 male electric connection... I NEED a diagram to tell whats what here. Seems like a pretty darn fancy little motor.... elec. start and choke ("pull" off?) I'd really like to get this thing going, but I DON'T want to spend those big bucks on the fuel system.....

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  16. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    if its the the 2 line pressure sys there is some tanks on ebay around 20-30 bucks bids right now

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  17. gdog bigcat

gdog bigcat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I wanted to bump this so it's not forgotten.