What is this knob on starboard side of engine for?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by my4x4awd, Jul 28, 2006.

1. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Can anyone ID this red knob in the picture. Engine is a 1986 Evinrude 70 HP.

Attached Files:

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    craig ... that is a decompression cylinder ...... for rope cranking ur motor the red knob should be pointed up .............. sorta like the decompression setting on the old 3 wheelers ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

3. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like it has two electrical wires and three small rubber hoses going somewhere that I cant see. I remember my three wheeler had a compression release, but it was more mechanical. Did you have an outboard with this setup? I was wondering if it was a part of the VRO ? oil injection. Ill look at it again Saturday cause the flywheel didnt look like it even had a place to wrap the rope around.

Thanks Craig

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Coach, you gotta be pulling his chain on this one.

Craig, that there item is a primer solenoid and the lever is for manual priming if the lectrical part fails.

The small lines are fuel feed. One line coming in bringing gas and lines going to the top rear of the carbs that inject fuel directly to the intake manifold for cold starting. You have no choke.

To activate it, turn the ignition key on and push in, older model control boxes have a toggle switch under the ignition key, used to activate the primer.

When activated, you'll hear a click, that's the electo-magnet engaging in the solenoid, allowing gas to pass through to the carbs.

5. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    well hell, if i lied it was not on purpose !!!!!!!!!! seems i remember in my manual on the 1990 48 johnson i have it said to flip the switch up to rope crank............. i have rope pulled it in the up position and the down position and i thought i could tell a difference in the "pull".............. :tounge_out: i sorta took it for granted the reason it was easier to pull in the up position was cause of the compression release .................... what an idiot :confused2: !!!!!

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Coach you ain't no idot now be easy on your self. In the up position It is manuel prime. In the pos. it is in in the picture it does it with the key.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bubba, you leave my buddy Coach alone. If he says he's an idiot, who are we to disagree? LMAO:lol:

8. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Well that is OK. At least you get two or three :crazy: answers....somebody is bound to know what they are talking about. You all don't go beating up each other. LOL :wink: I sure do thank you guys for the help. Great site and Im enjoying it here!:big_smile: Ill post a picture of the boat later.

Again thanks. Craig

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Coach and I go back a long way here on the BOC. If he doesn't know I'm kidding with him, then he is an idiot.

This is the only place I know of where a tenth grade drop out, me, and a school teacher and sports coach, him, are on an equal basis.

One of these days I'm going to ask him something I need to know:confused2: