What is this fish??

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by baptistpreach, Aug 25, 2008.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Caught this off a live worm on the bottom at Lake Vanderwork. I have no idea what it is! Please help!

Kids in Pool at Shanas 082.jpg

2. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    That is a freshwater drum. I have caught one in my life. Nice Catch

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Or you can fillet it cut the fillets into strips drop them in shrimp boil and have a feast.

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Mark they are a white meat fish. Like white bass and hybrids and such. Those are one of my fav. baits live or cut.

5. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    drum are boney and have rocks in their heads its a calcium build up and they make a drumming noise with the rock

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yep its a drum. they are a white meat fish but are realy boney and you cant keep them alive on a stringer or a basket they will die in just a few mins after you catch it. myself look at them the same as carp or gar and consider them to be a trash fish and all go right back in the water.

7. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The drum has a bone structure similar to a largemouth bass. I have caught several over the years. I simply fillet them and toss in with the rest of the filets. They taste similar to a largemouth or sand bass.

catman

8. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    fillet cut into strips place on hook an geter done

9. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    yup drum. kinda taste like bass imo

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I consider them trash er bait cut gut throw back but I like to catch them fer the hell of it .....love catchin fish(LOL)I caught two on one pole the other day the pic is in my album.....lot of fun...when it is warm I have been raised ya cant eat them wormey atleast round here and I havent cut one open in awhile but in colder water time it is nice white meat and tastey if ya like fish and cook it righ I have ate a few.....

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yeah! I have only ate drum once. A friend of mine talked me into it. It wasn't horrible, but it will be the last time I'll do it. The smell of a drum reminds me of a shad. I caught my PB Walleye on a chunk of drum. There quite the interesting fish and quite a fighter too. The largest drum I've ever seen was a 28# caught at a lake I fish frequently. It was probably the ugliest thing I've ever seen!! Looked like something close to a nuclear power plant. lol!!

12. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    We used to call them Sheep heads up around the Cleveland area. Always considered them to be a garbage fish but I gues any fish can be a good meal if you're hungry enough:wink:.

13. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Drum are fun to catch, they get really big and put up a good fight. They also make good cut bait. I catch mine in the shallows, bottom fishing with either worm or crawdads.

14. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    If you get drum under 2 lbs or so, fillet them and fry 'em, they aren't bad at all. If they get much larger than that, they get very coarse meat, and good for bait or throwing back.....just don't throw them on the bank where they will stink (one of my pet peeves with the gar and carp catchers).

15. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Try this with your drum fish it is really good are any pan fish

2 cups boiled drum meat ( or any kind of pan fish

1/4 cup red bell pepper finely chopped

1/4 cup onion finely chopped

1 stick celery finely chopped

1 tube crushed saltine crackers

2 eggs

2 teaspoons poultry seasoning

salt and pepper to taste

Mix every thing to gather and make patties and fry

Hope you enjoy

16. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I see all the replies to the challenge. To me it a channel cat, go figure. It is not a drum or buffalo, seek info from Okla. fisheries. Hope you ate the critter, looks edible to me
    Caught a fish, took a buddy, he shared a lifetime of loving God and fishing. What a deal.
    Keep them lines wet

17. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Never eaten one but they sure fun to catch! Caught this 31lb. monster below Chickamauga Dam in Chattanooga, TN. last summer on a nightcrawler. Used to catch lots in the 5-10 lb. range and lost one that was bigger than the 31 in the same place! Catch quite a few small ones here in Nebraska and I may just have to try eating one someday. Heard they were similar to white bass.

Attached Files:

18. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Man all that talk about fish patties..
    I got some drum out of the freezer yesterday and ground it up..

Mixed a red bell from the garden and some onions--potato flakes--creole seasoning -- cheyene--lemonpepper--garlic--cilantro--itallian seasoning--celery seed(i had no celery) and 2 eggs...
    Chopped it all up and ground it ,,Except the eggs, seasonings and potato flakes,,

Fried small patties in cast iron skillet..MMMMM MMMMMM
    Kinda tasted like them stuffed crabs...
    I might be makin' more fish patties now...I got some frozen gar and spoonbill that is next..:big_smile:

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually just throw them back. I didn't even consider eating them. I usually catch enough catfish for my eating needs. Or some stripers or crappies. I may just have to try some sometime. The last Drum I caught was one that weighed around 10 lbs or so on my Bluegill pole and a small #6 wire hook. What a fight indeed!!!!:big_smile:

20. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Commonly referred to here in Louisiana as a gasper goo, or just goo for short. My Dad stuck me with the nickname of gooboy years ago, for my ability to catch a dang goo, no matter what we was fishing for!:big_smile: