What is this fish ? july 4th, 09

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Desode, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey guys I went fishing with a buddy of mine tonight and he caught this strange fish on worm. It was 13.5 inches long and had small teeth :eek:oooh:. I have never seen anything like it and I know it probably shouldn't be in the Ohio river.

I'm sending pictures to the ODNR to ask them about it. Any of you guys ever catch something like this out of the Ohio ?

Matt AKA DESODE

Attached Files:

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I see a couple like that a year on the news here in Pittsburgh.They usually think it,s a pirahna,then when the fish commission guys look at it it ends up being another fish from South America that looks like a pirahna but don,t have the choppers like a pirahna.Forget the name,but I,m sure someone will know.Either way-COOL CATCH!:cool2:

3. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thats a pacu,cousin of the pirana,probably from someones aquarium!

4. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    GREAT another foren species:angry:

5. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    what did ya do with it ?

6. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We put a knife through its head ! :wink: I know what kind of fish should be in my fishing waters and what ones shouldn't be.
    Matt AKA DESODE

7. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Definitely a Pacu. Not really a major problem in the Ohio. They're an exotic fish and it more than likely grew too large for someone's tank in their apartment on the river and they dumped it. It happens pretty often now, I remember a news story last year where a guy caught a pretty decent one. They can and will grow larger than 10 pounds. Red Bellied Pacu (which isn't this species by the looks of the photo) will grow larger than 3 feet without a problem - but they won't survive very long. They're a schooling fish.

Pacu will continue growing at a rapid rate even if you buy them at 3 inches long. They don't care about their aquarium size, they're growth rate will not stop. Hence why they're usually dumped/killed/whathaveyou.

Whatever class this Pacu falls in, he was probably dumped recently. He definitely wouldn't survive the winter climates. At least it's very unlikely.

- James

8. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Looks like a weird shad. Should of tried him for some cut bait.

9. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    Looks Like a Pacu to me also.
    I agree with James, when the water temp drops it probably would
    have died. People just need to be more responsible with their pets!:angry:

10. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    its a pacu here in OK the wildlife guys count 5 or 6 ayear mostly in the lakes around OKC they just grow to fast for most aquariums

11. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I believe that is a Pacu. Had some in my aquarium before looked like that. Mine ate veggies only tho.

12. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for posting a picture. Makes you wonder what all swims in the Ohio River...

13. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Beetle I'm not swimming there unless I fall in that's for sure to old for that.

14. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Thanks for sharing that Desode, I wonder if we could teach them to feed only on Gar in the Ohio that wouldn't be as bad then. Anyway cool catch though.:big_smile:

15. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Yeah its a Pacu.They won't survive the winter.

16. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    He shouldn't have survived the night! ;)
    Those things are built tough, I bet they're hold up good on a nice 8/0 Circle .. get my drift?

17. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    yup red bellied pacu. he wont make it throught the winter unless he hangs out at a warm water outlet

18. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You here about those coming from the Ohio every once in a while. It is amazing how these invasive species get in the waters. I once found a snakehead baby in some minnows that I got from a county park bait shop :crazy:

19. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I caught a strange looking fish in my cast net the other night on the GMR. It looked like a fresh water drum but it had a top fin with a long string like a shad. And I did cut it up for bait. I caught a 5 pound channel cat on it. When the channel cat took it, there was no hesitation.

20. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i'm pretty sure its a big paku i'm not sure about the spellin