What is this bug?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Little Luey, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I know this is not a fishing question but it is specific of Arizona, if the moderators thinks this does not belong here please move it to the appropiate place.
    I have a question for everyone here.
    We found this animal at work, the shipping docks are still flodded from the rain we had some time a go and today one of the guys notices there are a lot of animals swiming in the water. But the one that looks the wierdest is the one on the picture, the camara is not very good and I am not very good taking pictures either but here it is. The are about 2 inches long, green with some black lines and has some pinches on the head, it has 6 legs and swims moving its tail and legs. I put a piece of chicken in the water and they are eating it up so them eat meat.

Attached Files:

2. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    It is a hellgramite(sp?). They grow into what is called a Dobson Fly. Andy has a post on them. He is the bugman.

3. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I am not sure, the hellgramite seems to have more legs that what I saw, but they are pretty close. Well, I guess they are not legs, not sure.

Attached Files:

4. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have been known to be wrong. Won't be the first time or last. :big_smile: That sure is what it looks like though.

5. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
  6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

That was my first inclination too, upon seeing the pictures. If it isn't one, it must be something closely related. When I saw your thread title Luey, I thought you might be trying to identify a Dobson fly. I remember the first time I ever saw one :eek:oooh:. I immediately started doing research - it was such an interesting insect.

7. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
  8. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
  9. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    not sure why my link does not work, its ok I got the picture. As I was saying this is very close except for color and size.

Attached Files:

10. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Oh my God! It's the TINGLER. 1959 Vincent Price Movie. Does this take anybody back?

11. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I hit the post to quick. Seriously though this looks like a Hellgramite. Very common around our mountains here in Maryland. Great Smallmouth bait. Watch you don't get nipped. They are they larvae stage of the Dobson Fly.

12. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    LOL, good one Ross.:big_smile:

Never saw that movie.

13. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    channels hit on them up here in Pa.

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I dunno its close but Im not sure. We have the guys here and yea dont get bit. We cut the pinchers off and we screen for them in the shallow fast water.