What Is This Battery Device?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by SkipEye, Nov 21, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Sounds like a fusible link or maybe a self-resetting circuit breaker that will blow in case of a short circuit.

Your description is pretty basic so I am guessing.

2. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Did a little google. Found this:

Bussman ShortStop automatic resetting circuit breakers

See the pic.

Hope it helps.:haha:

Attached Files:

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Your trolling motor draws a lot of current and nothing else is on the circuit. You definately have a circuit breaker there and it was added by someone. They use the same type on Harley Davidsons (well, the older ones at least). In case of a short it will 'open', then when it cools down a bit the contacts will close. If the short is still present it will overheat and open again.

It is a simple cheap device. Most batteries have a 40 amp fuse there at the trolling motor positive terminal. This device is reusable and actually is better than a fuse because it will reset and continue to work after you fix the problem. They might cost about $12.00

Not sure why your other accessories aren't protected with a breaker but it would be easy to do. Mine BOTH have regular fuseholders here.

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Definitely a circuit breaker. The reason it is only on one battery is the batteries are ran in series for the 24 volt trolling motor. You use one batteries positive (the one with the circuit breaker) and the other batteries negative. With a jumper between the remaining negative to the positive on the other battery.
    I don't know about using the batteries the way you are by drawing 12 volt accessory power from one of the two batteries while they are in series. I have never tried that or tested it. You should (IMHO) have a circuit breaker or fuse close to the battery on any positive power wire. Even if it is going to a fuse block. It is there to protect the battery as well as the accessories in case of a short.
    I hope this was useful and I did not just post what you already knew.:big_smile:

I also like to use manual reset circuit breakers instead of the auto reset. I don't like the thought of an auto reset cooling down and reseting just to trip again if the short is not fixed. I would rather fix the problem and they re set the circuit myself and not have a breaker continually re-setting itself just to trip again. The more a breaker trips the easier it will trip and over time they will need to be replaced.

David

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    If you're redoing the wiring, better upgrade to at least 6 gauge.