What is the VA State Record Blue Cat?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by gweber, Jan 23, 2006.

1. gweber

gweber New Member

It was around 72# out of the James until recently. Does anyone know exactly what the weight was and where it was caught?

2. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    92lbs 4 oz out of Buggs Island in 04. That's gonna fall on the James - no doubt.
    /Scott

3. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    yupper scott is right .. to date there has been one fish known of that was shocked up by the vdgif over 100lbs in the james .. i'm sure there's a couple more to go with that one .. its just a matter of time before the james reclaims it

the biggest fish actually caught on the james was 84lbs by eberwein

4. gweber

gweber New Member

It's definitely a matter of time, I agree. It's also amazing to me how much time there was between the record that stood in the Appomatox and the 72# fish in the James. Then look how quickly it went from 72# to 84# and then 92# in the span of a couple years. It seems like the size of bigger fish is reaching an apex. I think these fish were introduced to VA waters at around the same time, so 92 in Kerr would indicate fish that big or bigger in the James.

Do you guys think the populations in the Appomatox and the Chick are really that different from the James? I know there are articles from a few years back that say the James has always had more and bigger fish, but they also said the Chick has huge numbers of fish in the 30-40# range. Wouldn't that suggest that the Chick will be producing a big number of huge fish, even if it is a few years later?

5. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    I would assume so...Especially since the Chick connects to the James down there where the big fish are being caught... i think Scott proved to us this past weekend that plentiful decent sized fish can be caught itn he Chick as well.... :)

6. gweber

gweber New Member

Yeah, that's what I'm saying about the Chick, Scott caught a 52# fish, and yet I've always heard people talk about it like it's a second rate area. I have a feeling Scott's 52# means it's becoming a better bet for fish bigger than just 30s. Plus I like the fact that it's off the beaten path (for giant barges). Two of the guides that I know well say they have never even fished the Chick, or even the water below Presquile. There's a hell of a lot of water between Presquile and the mouth of the Chick, not to mention the chick itself.

I love the James don't get me wrong, but I've been drooling on maps of the Chick, Kerr and Gaston for a couple of years now. I've fished both Gaston and Kerr with stink bait and caught channels forever before I ever knew cats ate shad. I've really been wondering what I could do at Eaton's Ferry Bridge with a cooler full of giant shad from the James. Any of you guys interested in exploring the like of Kerr or Gaston?

7. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    i would say the chick has more of a chance of holding bigger cats because of the depth .. altho i wouldn't be surprised to see a big one come from the appomattox .. especially with this warmer weather .. may be pushing them into shallower water in search of food

the previous record that came from the james was caught in the james near the mouth of the chick .. and like mentioned i'd think most of the bigger ones are concentrated from the appomattox to the chick on the james

its deep, has some really good mid depth flats, alot of humps no one knows about therefore aren't fished, and the bait down that way is gigantic .. besides if i had to guess 80% or so of the catfisherman stay from jordan point on up to richmond .. big water is harder to fish .. there's so much more water to cover its harder to find fish .. especially when the weather has been warm and the cats aren't holed up

personally i'd much rather fish up around deep bottom where its narrower and its much easier to locate structure to fish .. the biggest i know coming from that stretch was 65 pounds

in fact from richmond to deep bottom (now this is only from what i've actually heard) i can count the number of 60 pound plus fish on one hand .. half of them caught by myself .. you're all more than welcome to chime in with 60's or better caught there to prove me wrong

now from deep bottom to the chick i know of more than 5 60lb plus fish caught JUST THIS YEAR .. one by me, several by robby and his friend, plus several by the guides and their clients

while i'm sure there are some giants swimming in those lakes i think my time is better spent on the james where i KNOW there are 100lb plus fish swimming around

8. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    I agree that the next record will come from the James and it will break the 100lb mark. I also beleive it will come from Jordon Point down river. The upper river is where all the ramps are and get a lot more pressure than down river. That is the whole reason people always reference Dutch Gap when the fish are actually caught down river. Dont get me wrong there are a lot of quality fish upriver but most of the big fish i have caught in the past five years have come from Presquile down river. I sure hope its one of us that breaks the record this year wherever it comes from.

9. gweber

gweber New Member

tank, When you say the previous record was caught near the mouth of the Chick, are you talking about Erberwein's 84# fish?

In any case, we're talking about a fish over 70# that was caught at or near the mouth of the Chick. Looking at the structure of the Chick with a good supply of deep holes, and from what I understand swarming bait, and Scott's 52# fish...I'm wondering if concentrating down there isn't a better idea than continually hammering the Presquile and above portion of the James. It seems like the Osborne through Presquile areas are getting way more pressure than I am told they did even five years ago.

10. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    no eberweins 84lb fish was caught just last year .. it was never a state record just the largest fish ever caught out of the james

i believe the orginal record came from or near the appomattox then the next record came from the james very near the mouth of the chick .. then it went to the lake

the "dutch gap" section of river sees infinatly more pressure than downriver .. i dont have exact numbers and frankly i'm not gonna drive from ramp to ramp to get them but i would assume on any given WEEKEND .. probably 4 times as many people are fishing above presquille than below it .. and truthfully i think that number is extremely conservative

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I spoke to the State Fisheries Guy at Deep Bottom last Spring who was shocking fish and tracking the ones that have transmitters. He told me the river was full of 40 pound fish from Richmond through the Chick and many much larger. He said the ones they tracked, some moved a few miles, some hardly moved at all, and some were marco polo and travel all up and down the James. Assuming most big fish are released, my guess is there are big fish all over where Shad can be found.

He also said that with the success of Blue cats in the James, Blues were put in the Mattaponi and Pamunkey around 10 years ago. He said forage was as good or better and that those two rivers were coming on strong for big fish. I love this part of the state. Fishing just gets better and better.

A final nugget he left me with was Channel cats along with blues are not native here. I knew about the blues but channel cats was news to me. Seems the Feds around the end of the 1800's rode all over the USA dumping buckets of channel cats from railroad tressles everywhere. He told me but I don't remember exactly where in the USA channel cats originate. Both sure took a liking to Virginia. Anybody know?

12. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    One thing I noted about the Chick is that there doesn't appear to be any pressure. I know it gets pressured pretty hard during warmer weather, but, the only other cat boat I saw during the half day I was on the water blew right by me and right out into the James. Mine was the only rig that went out of Morris creek that day, and after pulling out I drove over to the Brickyard ramp to see if anything was going on and there was noone there either. I'm sure it gets some pressure, but it's not nearly as much as the James above Hopewell. It's also a convenient access point to the lower part of the James. Without looking at a map, I think the run is about the same to flowerdew from the Chick as it is from JP. Maybe a little further, I can't remember specifically.

I definitely plan to fish it a little more. It is hard to leave the "prestige" of the James though, which is why I think the Chick doesn't get hit as hard.

/Scott

13. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

i fish at west point alot...and 20-30 lb fish are not uncommon...for me anyway...never heard of anyone else catchin them this big...i would guess that there are fish in the 40-50 lb class around...i fish private property with a deep hole about 75 yards out that only produces on an incoming tide or ..this is either the pumunkey or the mattoponi...Not really sure...we fish during the spring(april-may) and during the crab fest only....ive never caught a cat in the winter there...ive tried in years past but never caught one......

14. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    They are right biggest blue is 92 4oz. I'm not interested in James fishing.I've fished buggs for 8 years. I don't believe the next record will come from the James. I believe it will come from Buggs again.I fish Buggs all the time.There are so many big fish,people just don't understand.I know i've lost some this year that would have gave record a good run for it's money.

15. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    The Chick definitely holds some fat cats. I've got pics of a 71 and a 63 I pulled from there last Spring. Should seen the look on my face when they came to the surface. :p I've caught a couple in the 40's and bunches in the 20-30 range. That's my primary fishing spot, and I've only really ventured into the James this winter. I think the Chick is right there with the James as far as holding the next record.

16. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    The James might be the "hottest" river in the Country right now for big blues, it really has earned the reputation over the last 10 years or so. For a while it seemed it was the James and the Rappahannock. Yet, you don't hear much about the Rappahannock and very large fish. Has the fish size topped out in the Rap?

Of course Buggs "snuck" in and now holds the current record, with all the attention on the James. So, while the Odds are good the next record blue will come from either the James or Buggs, don't count out another buggs type surprise.

Just look at the Flathead record, it was set in 1994 and was taken from a place that is better known for bass and crappie.

17. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The Rap will produce large cats, but not in its current spiral. If the trotliners were stopped, the Rap might be producing again the way it used to. There are certainly lots of nice fish in the Rap, but it has taken a big hit in the past 3-4 years. These fellows who use the trotlines to target the big Blues are not only messing it up for you and me, but for themselves as well. Its like Politics, the hand opens when the money is easy. On the (Edited by moderator, oops)there has been quite a bit of discussion over the past 3 years pertaining to the "smarts" of these "commercial" fishermen. They don't even have a clue what it does when you take dozens of the gene pool out of the river weekly for what, fertilizer? This said, try a 30lb Blue for eating, and then let me know how it tastes. I say its stupid, and I'll stand up to those words to any "commercial" fisherman who wants to talk about the senseless waste of such fish. Yeah, that's right, I said it and I'll stand up to it all. Show me a Politician that don't take, "Bribes", and I'll show you a "Trainee". No laughing about it, its just the plain truth. If this offends anyone, then I guess I'm on to something and I'm glad of it. Reckon I better stop for now---jonnycat

18. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Jonnycat,

Thanks for the information. I had no clue that was going on in the Rap. That is a real shame. Yes, those 30 pound blues may be the best tasting, but they produce off-spring.

19. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    jonnycat, I agree with you on the commercial fishing. We also have the problem her at Buggs to.N.C,V.A both are aloud to do it at Buggs and thats sucks, but what can we do?

20. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    1bigblue,

We have to pressure our elected officials here in VA to put a stop the commercial fishing. One way to do this is get the ear of your local elected official and give him some facts on what commercial fishing has done to other places around the Country, and ask if that is what he would like Buggs to end up like. The main thing though is to keep on 'em until they sponsor a bill in the General Assembly, and are willing to fight for the bill until it becomes law.