What is the top of the line spincast reel for big flathead catfish???

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by KingCatBrad, Oct 8, 2007.

1. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Ok I only use bait caster reels and my girlfriend only uses spin cast reels :)embarassed: she just cant figure out how to throw a bait caster :eek:oooh:). She is tired of using my reels since she can't throw them. So what is the top of the line spin cast reel for some big ol Flatheads?????????

Any info will help.... Thankx In Advance...

2. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    In my opinion that would be the Shimano Baitrunner 4500 and 6500B series. There are others out there that are almost as good and would also serve well, but for my money it's those rock solid baitrunners hands down.

Just my .02 cents, spend it like you want.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Brad,

My thoughts on spincasters, which I use frequently, is that the 33's, 808's, and 888's by Zebco are probably the best. Although, Zebco does have a new one that they are coming out with that has an electronic bite alarm that I would like to see in person. I believe it is part of their "hawg" series.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    for the best spincast reel, I would recommend the Zebco "Pro Staff" 888 reel.

If she can operate spinning reels, a Shimano Baitrunner 6500 is hard to beat.

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    zebco rhino rsc5...trust me:big_smile:
    now if you can teach her to throw an open faced spinner, may i reccomend a shimano symetre, stradic, or stella:big_smile::wink:

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've been lookin at the Shimanos also. The Stella is out....min of $500. The Stradic looks nice , has a line cap of #20/185 yards, top drag only...dont like that really. Anyone got anything to say on the PFlueger ?

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like the shakspere synergy steel,you can cast those things a country mile,they really work well.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    If you can find a Zebco Brute 270, you will have probably the strongest baitcaster ever made, capable of landing almost any catfish. Zebco quit making this model a few years back, but they are still available on Ebay occasionally. I've got one - really don't use it much, but at one time measured the drag at a smooth 22lbs, which is better than most of my baitcasters.

Other than that, I'd second Wolfmans suggestion of the ProStaff 888, and the big Rhino's like Phil mentioned seem pretty sturdy too.

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have the Pflueger President. I have only had it for one season. My only complaint besides minor fading of the spool after just one summer would be their bail mechanism is a bit on the thin side.(ordered mine online) They should thicken the bail pieces they are really thin. I did land a nice flat head with no problema but I am afraid if a lunker comes around the pressure exerted might snap the thinnish plastic. The bearing supported drag did and excellent job however. It could be that I am used to my Shimano's which have a beefier bail support mechanisms....Just my two cents though....

10. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Can anyone fill me in one the difference in quality between a top drag and the bottom drag ? I like the bottom drag because it is easier to reach if needed while fighting a fish.

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Jimmy the rear drags arent as strong as the top end drag and not as smooth. Yes they are easier to operate in the heat of the battle but usually they are about half as strong as their top drag counterpart. Here is an example of a name brand reel same reel just the rear drag model and front drag model ratings. The bolded numbers are the drag ratings in pounds. Not sure of the Boc rules on posting info so I left out the model just in case....lol....

Model Line Retrieve Per Crank (in.) Line Capacity (# Test/Yards) Max Drag (lbs.) Ball Bearings Roller Bearings Gear Ratio Weight (oz.)
    S*1500RI 30 4/170, 6/130, 8/90 6.0 4 1 6.0:1 10.1

S*2500RI 33 6/200, 8/140, 10/120 6.0 4 1 6.0:1 10.1

Front Drag Models

SY1500FI 28 4/170, 5/130, 8/90 11.0 4 1 6.0:1 9.5

SY2500FI 31 6/200, 8/140, 10/120 15.0 4 1 6.0:1 9.

12. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Ah, I see, good info. Yea I guess the top drag is closer and more direct. I've never had a problem with my bottom drag but with my set-up and pole needs ( as you and I have been talking about in other threads ) I don't want to take a chance. My drag is to important for the style rod/reel I use. Thanks Angel.

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Can she handle a spinning reel? Baitcasters are the way to go, but if she can't cast a baitcaster, then maybe a good spinning reel like the baitrunner is a good second choice.

Baitcasters are just naturally stronger than spinning reels, and spincasters are a distant third. For the same strength and line capacity, a spincaster would have to be huge.

Personally, I'd stay away from spincasters. Leave them for the little kids. JMO.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I know lots of folks swear by spincast reels, but I've owned several brand-name spincast reels, and felt that they were all junk. I may let a very young kid use one, but by the time they're 5 years old or so, they've been converted to open face spinning reels.

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well im not so sure they make top of the line spincasters:confused2: shakespeare makes a couple of combos; tiger (not the TIGER) and ugly cat they both might do the job dont know though i use baitcasters.

16. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I never used one but have you looked at the Daiwa Gold lll.

17. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho

Ok I Think We Got Crossed Up By What Every One Else Calls A Spincast Reel. My Fault. I Ment To Say SPINNING REEL I Guess. Not The Push Button Ones, But The Ones You Have To Flip The Wire Over On.

18. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Kingcast you sure you mean top of the line. If you really mean top of the line you can look at the Shimano Stella for about $600....or the Daiwa Steez..... at about $500 :cry:

19. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good Ole Zebco has to be on the long term leader Board.
    I have old 808's that are getting on to 20 yrs experience.. Still grind and rattle trip after trip.
    10 yr old 888's that are a bunch better on initial quality and apperance.
    Only trouble I have ever had is with a New 888 that found it way on to a bow fishing rig and had a pickup pin jerked out of it.. Operator error .sure not the reels fault.
    They deal with Large diameter Mono well . Never tried any Braid but I suppose they won't mind.
    Price point on any of these allows for the throw away mentality ..
    And Just as soon as I wear one out I am gonna do just that.
    They do get service before I put them away every season .. Just cleaning and white grease is all they ask for.

Good Luck and Get after them

20. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just as a follow up after I read the updated Post..

All my Spinning reals are Mitchell 300's with the High capacity spools.

Everything from Red fish to Big ole fatties..
    Every part is still available when they need one ..if ever ...and the require only the barest of maint. and a Bail spring once in a while.
    As much as I enjoy spinners they don't travel near as well as a closed faced.. "Push Button" line holder.. LOL ..at least when the Boys were Lil...