What is the Strangest Thing You Have Ever Used for Bait?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by boswifedeb, Jun 19, 2008.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Okay, folks! Let's hear it. What is the strangest thing that you have ever used for bait? I've heard of lye soap and Ivory soap and thought that was odd. But I'm sure with all the characters on here that y'all have come up with something even better than that. So what have you got?!?:tounge_out:

Deb

2. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    my little brother!!!!:eek:oooh::wink::smile2:lol not really

3. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I always threaten to use my son!:eek:oooh::wink:

Deb

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    strips of aluminum foil, when they are getting ready to spawn and are real mean.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    famous catfisherman otis toad smith had part of his heart removed during surgery..and he made the docs keep it for him and he used it for bait

6. dragon86

dragon86 New Member

State:
    west frankfort illinios
    i used licorice once an caught a catfish and a bass. i've used ivory soap in my pond to catch catfish on jugs. used a snake i killed that was about 6 in.s long and caught a few bass on it. theres a lot of stuff i've used for bait but i can remember them all and the all of them didn't work.

7. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I once used small pieces of gummy worms when I ran out of powerbait eggs while out trout fishing, worked really well.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bengi dawg food works for channels pretty well.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ivory soap (slow bite...use only on setlines)
    bacon (good)
    salt pork (good)
    chitlings flavored with garlic, anise, shrimp flavoring, etc. (Can be a good bait at times, especially on setlines where you have trouble with the bait not lasting. Chitlings will stay on the hook till you take them off!)
    dead (white & bloated) fish I found floating down the river (I was almost out of bait and desperate; turned out to be some of the best bait I ever used.)
    fish eye (If you're bream fishing and run out of bait, dig an eye out of one of the fish you've already caught, and bait up with that.)

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    cicadas however you spell it those loud bugs make good bait

11. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    Some of the good ones were- Hot pepper,strip of bacon, liver with a squirt of WD40 and squished baby frogs.

12. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I used baby toads once on a camping trip. The campsite was lousy with them and the heat had gotten to my nightcrawlers. They worked great and the kids kept busy catching them so I could keep busy fishing!!:wink:

Deb

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    crappie fishing one time and ran out of minners so while my uncle,cousin,and myself went to seine some more my other cuz.a girl cought some on sweet pickles.

14. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Big Red chewing gum chewed just enough to get on hook !!!!:eek:oooh:

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    rubber band when i ran out of worms one day. the fish were so hungary they hit it. caught carp on mullberries and frogs on red cloth.

16. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My grandpa used white raisons on trot lines. Said they'd swell up pretty good and caught lots of fish on them.

17. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    My Great Grandpa swore by plug tobacco. He said you just toss it in, and they'll take it. Then you wait until they come up to spit, and you whack 'em with a bat. Seriously, though, I've seen him catch cats on a big 'ol plug of Red Man.

I caught a few last weekend using chicken guts. Then when we cleaned them, they were full of mulberries. We found a mulberry tree, and baited up with fresh berries, and caught a stringer full in short order. They're tough to keep on the hook, so we used cheesecloth (like a spawn sack). Worked like a charm.

18. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    Last time I answered this question I heard about it for weeks.Now as a warning to those of you that do not like to read foul and nasty things stop here.I found it to be repulsive and it rather shocked me that someone would actually think of it but here it is.While fishing for catfish a fellow rolled up next to me and asked if I minded him fishing next to me at the time I said sure not a problem.He proceeded to bait up with a used feminine hygiene product,and to end the story yes he did catch a fish on it.