What is the smallest size Kahle hook you would use for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, Oct 7, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had a friend give me 100 4/0 Kahle hooks, says he uses them some for flatheads...They seem way to small for me?

I always use 8/0 Circles, and would give these a shot if they were bigger.

What is the smallest Kahle you have used for flatheads?

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have used 6/0 kahles , most of the time I use 7/0 to 10/0. The size depends on the size bait I have. The bigger the baits the larger the hook.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I figured the 4/0 Kahles were to small for flatheads, but I only use cut bait, I may give them a shot with small pieces of cut bait.

But that size seems more like a channel cat hook, allthough I have never used Kahles, and have no idea what I am talking about:big_smile:

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Jack the 4/0 is what i use for channels for the big boys i am with every one else its 8/0 kahles

5. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Hell Jack, they're free! Just tie one on, hook into a 50#er, and see if it holds up. You have caught so many big ones that it wouldn't be that big a deal if 1 got away. :big_smile: If it does, then you know to not use them any more.:wink:

You could also do the scale test. Tie one on a section of the same line you use, hook it to your scale, and see which, if either, gives first, and what lbs it takes to make it happen.

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I think the smaller hooks will give the fish a better chance of swallowing the hook and thereby gutkooking itself.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes but I have not caught a big one since may, I dont want to lose my next big fish or I might cry!:smile2:

8. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I dont know if this helps at all, but I caught my pb flattie on a 4/0 j hook. And I was using a gold fish probably 5" long. I normally run an 8/0 Eagle Claw J hook, but I thought I would try downsizing for the night and it turned out to work alright.

9. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    If it makes you feel any better, I have never caught anything that big...and I would test those hooks on the fly. :big_smile:

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jack....I use Kahles for flatheads. I prefer the 9/0 or 10/0....but have heard that the smaller 6's or 7's work great too. Sometimes a smaller hook produces more fish than the larger ones....not sure why. I would try the 4's with smaller cut baits and they just might produce a new P.B.:cool2:

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use 4/0 kahles for flats all the time! I will even go to a 3/0 for a real small sunfish (4 inch), and I do often go with the 5/0 for handsize brim (about 8 inches) and only once in a while go as large as 6/0 for the real nice 1/2 pound sunfish as baits. I like the kahles because they hook the fish in the corner of the mouth or in the jaw when fished like a circle (rod in the holder with the reel engaged...), or you can set the hook yourself if you prefer.

Personally, I think some people go overboard on the size hooks used for flatheads. Remember that fly fishermen catch trophy trout and salmon on hooks down to sizes in the 20's and tuna fishermen after bluefin catch 1000 pounders on fairly small hooks (although those are heavy forged hooks with welded eyes). I don't want a hook big enough that it weighs the bait down to the bottom like an anchor. The sunfish should be able to swim freely with the hook. I will say, though, that this all depends on fishing a balanced outfit with a reasonable drag setting. If you fish 100 pound braid on a heavy rod and reel with the drag clamped down, then you will possibly straighten out a kahle hook.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    5/0 are sufficient to hook big fish.

13. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Jack, I assume those are eagle claw kahles, if so, that 4/0 is one of the toughest hookd out there pound for pound. It's what I caught my r&r PB (24lbs) on using cut shad. I prefer kahles over circles for flathead due to the larger gap between the shank and tip, they seem to fit around the thick flathead jaw better.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the responces guys, now if I remember right I can fish a kahle like a crcle hook, just let the fish load the rod up and hook itself, or I can set the hook like a j hook, right?

15. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    You are correct sir!!!

16. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Wow Jack, I am very impressed:roll_eyes: Now, give the hooks to someone who is a normal catfisherman & can use the hooks that were given to you:confused2:

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have caught flats on kahle hooks. I use4/0, 7/0, and 10/0. the 4/0 are tough. For smaller cut bait they are good if you're in open water and don't have to horse the fish out of heavy cover. Yes you can use them just like a circle hook, the fish will set the hook themselves. Sometime I just feel like jerking when I get a bite or a run,when I do I give the kahle hooks the test.

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jack I would agree with John on this. I use the 7/0 kahle with lots of success also.

19. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use 3/0 kahles all the time for catching channels. If you fish the 4/0s and don't like them I would be more than happy to take them off your hands, I will definetly use them.:big_smile:

20. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Me too!!:smile2::smile2: