What is the sharpest/best hooks for blue cats

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by littlebigman, Jul 30, 2007.

1. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was fishing the other night and had a few nice fish hooked but they kept coming off.I figured it was becuase the hook i was using.I was using PLAIN SHANK 3/0 EAGLE CLAW hooks.And wanted your opinion on what is the best/sharpest hooks for blue cats.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I would have to say that i think Gamakatsu or Diatchi hooks are the sharpest hooks.

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have used Eagle claw for years but keep a stone in my tackle box to keep them sharp.As Riverking says Gamakatsu are said to be better.I have bought some but haven't tried them yet.
    Jake

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with this but I would add one more company. "Owner". These three companies have very sharp and excellent quality hooks.:smile2:

5. gonefishing

gonefishing New Member

State:
    Near Monroe LA
    What about Circle hooks

6. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I would have to wonder why you would be using a 3/0 for blue cat? I thought they got big. I use Gamakatsu octopus in black nickle steel normally always in 10/0. There should not be a problem with eagle claws, ive seen some with ok puonts and some not so sharp but a good hookset should work just fine. Id say to go out and try again and put to beef into your set, I always hit'em hard. You may also be dealing with really small fish??? You may try down sizing to see if you hookup. I can usually tell the little ones from the big ones when im not fishing with a clicker.

7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    from what I've seen Ulta Point hooks are the sharpest. I use the Biggun catfish hooks 5#. Mostly for live bait.

8. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Gamakatsu are what i like

9. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    i like gamakatsu ,owner ,and my fav is vmc they all work well:wink:

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Gamakatsu seems to be the sharpest to me. Theres is simple test for this take the hook and run it across you thumbnail if it digs in immediately it is sharp if it skip or doesnt dig in at all try another one.....

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I noticed all these hooks were extremely sharp and of good quality but have had a few VMC trebles straighten out on carp and buffalo. THat suprised me cuz i only use 17lb line

12. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

my experience is the gamis and dias are the sharpest. but occasionaly the hardened steel has snaped on me. rare but has happened. i also like the VMC brand for sport circles

13. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My favorite hook for blues is a daichi circle chunk light in 7/0(wish they made a bigger size)

14. chuck luck

chuck luck Member

State:
    indiana
    According to my research the sharpest hooks are the Owner hooks with x-points. An article by Larry Dahlberg a few years back, and another on a smallmouth fishing website is where I got my info. Several hooks were tested and the x-points were the sharpest. So I did some hunting and finally found them in my area. I used them almost exclusively for a few years, and here is what I found. If you set the hook and its inside a cats mouth it will penetrate all the way through, asuming a hard set, and a stout rod. However, if you hit the jaw bone, or get one hung up and break it free, it's DONE! No way to sharpen these hooks! Also, I broke several when trying to break free from snags. I use Trilene Big Game 25 or 30 lb. line, and mostly solid glass rods. They are also extremely expensive as far as hooks go. I spent way too much on them fishing a river with tons of snags. I suppose a thicker wire hook than the ones I was using wouldn't break as easily, biggest size I could find in my area was 3/0, but these hooks are hard, thus brittle. They are very, very sharp, and I never lost a fish after a good hookset, but I'm trying different hooks this year trying to decide what I like best. I still use the owner's when not fishing around snags, but don't use them anymore in the river. Good fishin', Chuck.

15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I like Gamakatsu.