What is the right Hook?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TNBigCat, Aug 16, 2006.

1. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    I went fishing this afternoon and I had several really good bites. Here's the picture... I was at a steam plant where the catfishing is always really good. I was at the top of the dam and fishing the tailwaters straight out. I was using live shad for bait. There were a few others using liver and other baits but not having as good as bites as I was.

My rig I had a 1 1/2oz flat sinker (which looks like a pancake), then a small plastic bead, followed by the barrel swivel. My 24" leader was tied to the barrel swivel which was then tied to a 2/0 Eagle Claw Razor Sharp Circle hook.

Here are the two things I am questioning. This is the first time I have used the Circle hook and I am not to familiar with it. I was under the impression that the hook is self setting but it never really set when it got the good bites. The other thing I am questioning is the way to hook the shad. I tried several different ways, through the tail, through the eyes, just in front of the dorsal fin and just behind. Then as a last resort I got so frustrated that I hooked the thing like I was threading a needle. Everytime I checked the bait after getting the good bites and trying to set the hook, it was gone

So the two questions 1)Am I using the right hook? 2)what is the right way to bait the shad on the hook?

Any BOC Brothers willing to give some advice would be great help!
    Thanks, Nick "TNBIGCAT" or maybe "TN-NO-CAT"

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey there, let me tell you my opinion on this.

Ok personally, I would get rid of the Circle Hooks, they have thier time, but I don't think your fishing situation is the best place for them, personally the Kahle Hooks are best for me, Eagle Claw "King Kahles" are AWESOME.

Second, what size shad were they? Once I know what size Shad you were using I can give you my opinion on how you should have hooked them.

Zakk

3. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    The Kahle hooks would be my next purchase. I'm still thinking a 2/0 or larger. As far as the shad go they very in range from about 2" to 4". I was using the big ones at first and then moved to the smaller ones.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Katmaster hit ti on the head. What size bait? I use a 3/0 tru turn right now and up to a 7/0 eagle claw j-hook. when you use a circle hook you do not want the entire middle of the hook full, there has to be room for the hook to turn into the fishes mouth. So for a 3-6 inch shad I would say at least a 6/0 circle hook. As for where to hook it that depends on your prference and how you cut the bait if any. I like to do mine two ways, butterfly( see library) and cut the tail off and insert the hook at the cut and go all the way up to the eye and exit the hook there. Good luck and I hope this has helped you some.

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I agree with Zakk, Kahle's. I've had pretty good with circles also but kahle's are tops with me.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ok, get Kahle hooks in at least a 7/0, I like 10/0 myself and catch cats of all sizes on the 10/0!

For the shad 2-4 inches, I just thread them on my hook WHOLE, I go thru the eyes and come out of the tail, which of course kills them.

If you want to use them live though get yourself some 2/0-4/0 Kahles and hook thru the lips, go thru the bottom lip and out of the top thru the nostril, or hook them thru the back right behind the dorsal fin.

That's how I do it and works great for me. Definitely get rid of the Circle Hooks, those things suck in my opinion but like I said, they have a place.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    2/0 is too small for live bait no matter what kind of hook.

If you're using live shad in the 6" range or so, I wouldn't pick anything smaller than a 6/0 hook, maybe even 8/0.

Hook the shad either through the mouth and out the nostrils or just behind the dorsal fin. Either way, you want a lot of hook exposed, especially at the gap between the point and the shank.

Circle hooks get a bad rap here mainly from people who've used them incorrectly and become convinced that they don't work ("incorrectly" meaning, using them in the wrong situations, with the wrong kind of bait, hooking the bait improperly, trying to set the hook, etc.) -- once you learn how to properly use a circle hook, you'll catch as many fish as any other hook. And you'll gut hook very few if any of those fish.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Use 8/0 gamagatsu octopus circle hooks, and never set the hook..Let the fish pull the rod down so hard you think it's gonna break, then slowly pull back on the rod.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I don't fish tailraces, but it seems that it would not be the best place for circles. Because of the current, a fast setting hook may work better. Its easy to miss with circles, especially the first few times you use them. Until you get used to them, you may want to try them on flat water or slow current rivers.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree with that, in fast moving waters such as a dam, hooks besides Circles are definitely best. I've caught a lot of Big Blue cats at dams when all they did is a "Tap-Tap" type of bite.

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I have not used circles much but I feel if you do...you almost need your rod on a solid holder...I agree with Jack that if your gonna use them go with 8/0 Circles. Kahles work well, I prefer 5/0-7/0 Eagle Claw kahles....other than that Gama Octopus hooks(not circle) in 5/0-8/0 are my choice most of the time. But again those are just MY preferences and everyone has different opinions based on their style and method of fishing.

12. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I use a lot of live bait shad and perch and have had real good luck with Owner's live bait hook.
    I have 7 different styles of hooks in my catfish tackle box that I use depending on the bait and the water ( river-lake - boat-bank - drifting, etc.), but nothing smaller than a 5/0.

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I have a similar problem with those circle hooks. I get bites but cant get them in! I tried not setting the hook and the reverse but I just cant get the dernd thing to work so back to the Gamakatsu baitholders I guess. I'm not impressed with them but I probably am doing something wrong. I'll try leaving room on the shank for the fishes mouth to move it around and set.
    :confused2:

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    We don't see the tons of threads on the "PROBLEMS WITH J-HOOKS"??

:wink: :wink: :wink:

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Lots of missed hook ups with J hooks, cats swallowing the hook and tearing up their insides and which style, O'shauganessy, regular, etc? Circles are suppose to do less damage to cats who swallow them.

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Gotta disagree with the guys telling you to go with HUGE hooks. I use kahles pretty much exclusively and never use anything bigger than 5/0, even with large bluegills. If your hook is too big it will weigh down the bait and kill it.

With a proper drag setting and balanced rig you won't straighten anything over about a 1/0 even in a big fish. If you're fishing 80 pound line with the drag clamped down, then yes, you might, but that's silly.

17. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    OK here's an update. I did go and purchase some Kahle hooks but the biggest size they had were 4/0 which I bought any way. I did go fishing this afternoon for about 2 hours and then called it quits because it got way to hot. I did use the 4/0 hooks and I caught 1 drum about 3 pounds and it did catch him in the side of the lip. I did manage to catch a small 1-2 lb blue. I did however had lots of nibbles but nothing that took the bait and ran, I think they were just too little. I reeled the line in and they're heads had been bitten off or the insides bitten off. These little fish I call "Huntin' Peckers". They hunt and peck at the bait but not really take it. I did catch the little blue and it also got him in the side of the lip as well.

I do like the Kahle's a little better as there is more of an opening between the tip of the hook and the shank. I will keep each in the tackle box and will resort to each when needed.

I have read that people use the circle hooks in certain situations, what might be that situation? What is ideal situation for the Kahle's? Someone also mentioned the J-Hook, what about those? I have bought alot of the "Catch and Turn", anyone use those or have any luck with those?

18. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I've used nothing but circles this year an I've had really good luck with them. I've also been fishing some of the fastest water you would want to fish just below the dams in the Ohio river where there is a lot white water at times and I've had no problems with hookups. I think its more the person using the circles and not giving them a chance to hook up rather then the hook its self. I have been able to release more fish uninjured with the circle hooks then I ever could with the kahle or J-hooks an I think thats another plus for the circles as well.

19. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got a couple of packages at Cabelas. I fish over a float and the circles work like a charm for me. I watch the float, when it goes under, I pick up the rod and let old Tom Cat set the hook for me. Just start reeling and here comes baby.