What is the ratio to find out the right reel for the right pole?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by daystarchis, Feb 23, 2006.

1. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I can't for the life of me remember how to figure the right pole for the right reel. Also the requirements to cast the fartherest distance. I hope I asked in the right place.

2. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    well when i am catfishing i usually decide which pole to get based on the line i am using. if i am going to be using say 30# big game supreme by trilene i will want to have a rod that can hold that amount of line and wont snap on me.
    what i usually use is 20# cajun lightnin by shakespeare and i use a Abu Garcia 5000 ambassadeur series baitcasting reel. the rod i use is a rhino, titanium series and it is heavy action and can hold up to 20# line on it and it is a 6'6 rod. so ya hope this can help you next time a big flattie is taking out your drag.:D

Darn! I'm Snagged!

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Robb I think you will find that a 7 foot rod will be about the best on can get as it cast well and is easy to store in most boats. But the balance is the key, you should be able to balance the rod with the reel on it just in front of the reel seat with to fingers. Now depending on how long the rod is will depend on where the balance point will be. On a 7 footer it should be about2 to 3 inches in front of the reel. This is to allow for the best leverage when fighting a big fish as well as comfort when casting. This will also allow the equipment your using to do most of the work for you. Now on a longer rod say a 10 footer the balance should be about 4 to 6 inches in front of the reel seat. This is information that was shared with me by a few of the guys my grandfather cast against in compactions as well as some of the best rod builders I have ever met.

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Robb I forgot this; also keep with in the line rating for the reel and the rod as well as the weight recommendations for the bait. Such as, if the rod is rated for up to 40 pound mono don’t use 60 pound line, and if the reel is rated for 40 pound line don’t use a 60 pound line. Use what is recommended my the manufacture, I have seen people break rods by casting 6oz of weight and 8oz of bait with a rod built to only cast up to 4oz’s. try to keep the sinker with in the weight limits of the rod, and the bait close to that also if your trying to cast long distances.