What is the preferred method of hooking live baitfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by ssskinner27, Feb 23, 2009.

1. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    How do you guys hookup all your baitfish. I am not sure how I am going to hook the sunfish and fallfish(or suckers) that I catch?

What is best sized baitfish for flat and what is the best size for Channels?

Sorry about all the posts but I would like to get my rank up 1 notch. LOL

2. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    I USE ANYTHING THAT IS FROM 3 IN AND UP. I SAY THIS CAUSE THE BIGGEST CAT I GOT WAS ON A TINY LITTLE GILL HERE IS THE PIC. BUT NORM IN THE 6-8 IN.AREA I LIKE TWO USE A 6/0 OR 7/0 LIVE BAIT HOOK(OR CIRCLE) BEHIND THE DORSEL FIN, AND SOMETIMES I WILL ADD A SHORT STINGER HOOK THRU THE EYE'S OR NOSE WITH A 4/0 -6/0 CIRCLE. ...THANKS JUSTIN

Attached Files:

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Under a float behind the dosal finn tight line the mouth for flats About the size of a hand channels half that luck to you

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    In calm water like a lake and normal river conditions, I hook them behind the dorsal fin. But if the river is angry and there significant current, I hook them through the lips.

These are the things you should use with 10 size King Kahles if you are looking for "The One".

Attached Files:

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Think BIG! Nothing's ever too big:cool2::wink:.

Attached Files:

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Tan is that a small carp in the picture? and i agree as i had a flatty hammer a bluegill over a pound and a half , one hit and took off with a 17 inch walleye, and another literally smashed a largemouth bass well over 2 pounds. like you said i had trouble finding bigger hooks than the 7/0 - 9/0 hooks i had and think that was a reason i did not hook the fish mentioned above. tried to make due with what i had. lets just say lesson learned and i will have bigger hooks this year.

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Man Blacky That will PISS Them Basser Boys Off using that Large Mouth Bass for Bait!!! Good Job,I Got your Back Brother,:wink: J.D.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Yes indeed, Brian!

Tried many years to catch a baitsizeable carp but only was able to catch the 6 to 20lbers:embarassed:. Nothing on the small side until I got this beauty. She laid on the bottom of the Schuylkill for 3 hours before getting hoovered by a 17lber in June.

Back to big baits, I even let the darn thing run for a minute, but still no hookup:confused2:. I am 100% positive my hooks were too darn small! If the 10 size kahles don't work, I'mm getting SHARK HOOKS:eek:oooh:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Those BassMasters can kiss my Asian BUTT!:cool2:

In PA, it's is legal to use smallmouth bass and other gamefish as bait as long you follow the creel and size limits and as long as you caught the thing on rod and reel.

This is a catfish forum, so I don't think many feathers will be ruffled:tounge_out::smile2:.

10. The creel limit for bass in the Schuylkill is 12-15" depending on the time of year. So, you mean to tell me you are using bass that big for bait?

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    5{rtTroller;1364264]The creel limit for bass in the Schuylkill is 12-15" depending on the time of year. So, you mean to tell me you are using bass that big for bait?[/QUOTE]

A 12 inch bass is nothing!

I actually prefer the 15 to 18 inchers!

I've used baits up to 3 lbs and have gotten runs. How did I know it just wasn't the bait pulling my clicker? The missing scales and teethmarks don't lie

12. tomsfishing4

tomsfishing4 New Member

State:
    pa
    i always hook behind the dorsal fin with big gills and others,but with the smaller ones through the lips it seems they live longer that way.thats my opinion....tom

13. Jeeze Louise! I never heard of that stuff! 18" bass for bait, snap! lol! You go buddy!

14. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    tan, that first picture of you posted in this thread, was that a shiner? if it was that was huge and where can i find them.

15. wetflyguy

wetflyguy New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Tan,

One of the salt guys told me boaters world has 16/0 circle hooks
    some thing like 45.00 a 100.
    There are some 19/0 Eagle claw circle hooks on e-bay 10pack 24.00
    That thing should hold a 3# bass!!!:wink:

Wet

16. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Gamakatsu also has a hook that looks like the sickle hooks called the big river hooks 10/0

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    There's a local canal that is loaded with them. It's hard to hook them even with size 16 hooks for trout. I chumm the water with pieces of bread so they can start feeding and get into a "shiner blitz":wink:. When they are in this feeding frenzy, they eat everything in sight. Use really light line. i personally use 4lb Seaguar Flourocarbon. I use a 10ft ultralight crappie rod so the rod does all the work for me.

Shiners are the best overall baits for all species of big fish including pike, musky, stripers, bass, and walleyes. If you can't catch anything on a shiner, then there is no fish in that lake or river:cool2:

18. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    hey tan looks like your bait could eat my bait, lololol

19. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Unless there is alot of current, I hook my bait behind the anus on the bottom side. If there is current I hook them in the lips and if I am using a float I hook them in the back. I had my best lucj lastyear on big gills over 7"

20. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i was having a hard time getting bigger baits early last year til Tan got on me and said use find the big stuff, use the big stuff. so i had to do a lot of walking and searching for new bait spots but i feel it was worth it. talked to another brother one night and we were discussing how the really large flatheads with those big old mouths could and most likely regularly eat fish double the size we could ever throw on a rod. monsters gotta eat big to get big.