what is the most exciting part about catching the fish on the Ohio river?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catcrazed, Dec 17, 2008.

1. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    question for you river fisherman that fish tight line. My question is simple, what is the most exciting part about catching the fish on the river. Seeing the rod go down?? picking up and feeling the fish?? Seeing the fish for the firs time when it comes up?? Getting the fish in the net?? taking the weight and getting pics of the fish??? For me There is nothing more exciting than getting to see the bite!! Ya know, for those of us using circle hooks we get to watch that pole sssllllllooooowwwwwly start to bend and then all hell breaks loose. That part is what really gets my blood flowin. Lets here it all. I guess same goes for you flat head fisherman that don't fish tightline. Is it the bite perhaps that tickles your fancy???

2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    When that clicker starts going out and you lock down and set the hook, and you feel the weight on the other end! Thats what gets my blood going!

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There is a couple of different things that get me going when fishing flatheads. First of all, there are different levels of excitement. LOL. A general flathead run doesn't do much for me anymore when using general baits such as a warmouth or creek chub. Not saying it isn't gonna be a big boy, but alot of medium and small fish are caught throughout the year on these as well. Small fish don't get me going anymore, and its actually a disappointment when setting into them. But, give me a 12-15 inch smallmouth bass, or carp and let that clicker start running, heading upstream with the bait...And we have excitement!!!! The other scenario that gets my heart pumping, Is when I go fishing for lake flatheads. This might be the neatest one yet! Nothing like sitting there on the bank, dead silence at 3 am. And watching a bunch of huge slip-floats strung out with glowsticks around them. And then when a flathead comes in and takes a bait, it reminds me everytime of the Jaws movie, where you could see the barrels being drug across the surface with the wake , and then seeing them disappear into the darkness.. Same thing here.. Them glowsticks racing away, then watching the bright glow start to dim! To me thats part of the addiction, and what I think about until I get to go chase em again... good post Robin! ....rollo

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Everything about flathead fishing excites me.
    Driving to the bait hole excites me.
    Catching bluegills and bass for bait excites me.
    Sending a 15 inch bass, sucker, or carp excites me.
    Getting a run and hearing the clickers scream on big baits actually gives
    me a lesser form of a heart attack, but still excites me.
    Waiting to see if the fish can take drag to verify a nice fish excites me.
    Anticipating a huge head and beady eyes of a large flat excites me.
    Rain, muddy, and high river conditons excites me.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    For me its definatley the bite with blues. You can usually tell on a tight line, if its a descent fish or not. I have actually had blues crack rod holders on the take down. Thats the nice thing about blues as apposed to channels. Channels will usually give you the taps over and over again, very rare for blues around here atleast. If they want your bait there are gonna rip that rod tip straight down, that is the best part of it all for me.

6. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Definately gettin a run on a big bait.:eek:oooh:

7. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Or.Gettin woke up by a clicker

8. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I use J hooks, so i think my favorite thing is setting the hook, and feeling the fish pull back once i swing on him...Thats why i dont use circles, i like the excitement of setting the hook..To me if i do something wrong and dont hook him, the fish wins...With circles your just waiting for the fish to catch himself and, That dont excite me.

9. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    seeing that rod bend over. Gets my hear pounding!

10. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    do you just use clicker??? Just curious because when fishing in hight current conditions my clicker will "creep" out. I know on the 7000 reels you can tighten that but not my 6500s.

11. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    I'm with RiverKing a bit on this one. I made the switch to circle hooks this year, but miss setting that hook.....
    The pole doubles over, you jump out of your seat, spill your drink, trip over all the crap you've been meaning to clean up, so didnt trip. Get to the pole give it a nice rip and hope you didnt miss. I think thats the best part, but everything else is a close second. The fight, seeing it for the first time, netting it and getting a weight(well depending on the size of the fish).
    Of course I definitely want someone else to have a chance at catching the fish I've caught. I cant recall having a circle leave me wandering if the fish would live. Though J hooks did quite a few times. So the switch made sense. But really it all kicks a*s, just being out on the boat's, better than being at home watching TV.:roll_eyes:

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    rollo is rite bout watching them cat bobbers disapeer into the depths but a screaming clicker is hard to beat.

13. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    targeting and catching fish of any specie excites me...but gettin on them big flatheads and catching them consistently now thats good stuff..takin the boys out to catch fish and see the smiles thats priceless..but i enjoy every part of the sport from rigging the boat to netting the fish..i love setting the hook lol..good post robin

14. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

No I dont ever use a clicker, i always just tight line and let the fish take the bait, and then as my buddy Dale says SWING ON HIM..LOL...I just tight line, no circles, no clickers.

15. grandpa7

grandpa7 Member

State:
    alabama
    Getting to see what is actually on the hook end trips my trigger the most. But, the most satisfying is wathching as that biggun realizes that it is back in the water and swims off. Always brings a smile knowing that I may get to meet it again.:big_smile:

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would have to say all of the above gets me excited.

17. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    fighting the fish the adrenaline rush is awesome very fun rick

18. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Unless its me on the tv huh repoman. I Looked good on the ole news didnt I. LOL:big_smile:

19. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    No kiddin, do you leave your hooks exposed from the bait or do you try to "hide it". The reason I ask is because We can't find any hooks bigger that 8/o circles and have thought about trying to go with bigger hooks. We always try to didicate one pole to a "huge" bait. Like a whole 12 inch skipjack but you know the chances of the fish gettin hooked im my mind would get a heck of a lot slimmer with using such a big bait. Now I have seen Some huge j hooks that are more the size we would be interested in. I just thought when the fish felt the "j" hook he would just spit it before you had the chace to get on him.

20. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Youve been just dying to sneak that in on a post huh....lol
    Man only thing that would have made it better is if you was wearing your thong:eek:oooh:.