Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'd probably have to say old rotten nightcrawlers that were turned into mush, i took them out of the container while trying not to barf and i mixed it with some bee jays, ughhh the stench from the rotten old hot decaying worms was soooo rancid, it made the bee jays smell good!:eek:oooh:

I managed to get two small channel cats off of it that evening, my dog got curious and i held it towards his nose and he growled at me lol

·
Registered
14,583 Posts
Walter we went fishing one day could not get any bait and had left the stink bait at home. We followed the bank down steam and found some carp and buffalo dead on the bank. It was rank but we caught a couple of nice fish with it. I have carried stinkbait in the boat every since.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I left chicken livers in the hot sun for several days in a sealed container. I opened it for the first time while in the boat and couldn't even put it on the hook it was so nasty. That had to be the most foulest smell I ever smelled.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
We got them city raised channels here. They wont even look at a bait unless its a 36-40 shelled american caught shrimp, " No import pond stuff" and sauteed with port wine, shallots, and fresh garlic. They smell that powder stuff.....no tip left. LOL

·
Registered
60 Posts
well rotten liver sure has got to be #1 but ive got a bucket of shad that im letting sit till it dissolves to try in a homemade recipe, its been thawing and freezin all winter and its really gettin my barn pretty rank

·
Registered
896 Posts
I guess the worst smelling stuff I have ever fished with and caught catfish with was beef blood. Me and my exbrother in law put out some trot lines out in piney creek and he had got some beef blood from some where and wanted to try it. So we cut it in chunks and baited the lines being careful not to nock it off the hook. We done pretty good with it for two or three nights after sitting in the hot sun for three days. I could not handle the smell of that blood any more stink is putting it mildly. It would knock a buzzard off a gut wagon. But we caught catfish up untill we throughed it away.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ihad two jars of rotten shad sides break on me one in grand mothers garage and that same day fishin on the river in a two man bass boat , picked up the jar and dropped it . Crash all over in the boat all over me and my cousin. That was me going to bait my first pole of the day(95degrees),made for along day and night.:eek:oooh:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Aside from green worms, the foulest thing I ever put on a hook was a spoiled clam. Years ago,while on a drinking expedition, I found a large clam that had popped open. I put the slimy glob of meat on the hook and tossed it out (i'm not sure I could do that sober). Before I could put the rod down, some monster tried to pull it from my hands. My vintage 12# line snapped instantly. I never saw the fish, but eversince I keep an eye out for spoiled clams.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Its been a long time but I'll never forget it. When I was a kid, about 13 or 14 Dad used to make me go into the chicken processing plant here local and get a bucket full of chicken guts to bait with. Early in the morning there weren't many chicken guts in that 55 gallon drum that I had to get them out of so I had to bend way over into the drum to get a big handful to put in the bucket. That was a heck of a way to start off your breakfast. The chicken guts worked real well but because of all the sanitation rules nowadays I don't think you can do that anymore. Besides I wouldn't think of using anything anymore since we started using skipjack years ago. Skipjack are the cleanest bait I have ever used.

don3778

·
Registered
966 Posts
by far the worst smelling stuff i ever used was a concoction my buddy came up with, he took 2 tubs of liver, about 6 shad and some shrimp, put them in a blender the put em in a glass jar in the sun for about a week and made dough bait with it, OMG just opening the bag we had buzzards circling but they wouldnt come close to that stink, we did catch a few channels though:eek:oooh:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Grandpa told my son that anything that is rotten will catch catfish.. so with out my knowledge he took a half tub of chicken liver some night crawlers and some blue cheese with garlic salt and packed it all in the liver tub and put it in the fishing cooler... i got a old Styrofoam cooler outside by the shed that the bait that don't have to refrigerated goes in so nothing stinks up the garage. yea he popped it in there on Tuesday and Saturday we went to the lake. i looked over to see what he was baiting with and he had some pantyhose all ready to go i thought huh got some slimy liver.. OH MY GOD HE OPENED THAT LID AND THE GUYS 50 FEET DOWN THE DAM WERE GAGGING TOO!!!!!!!!!

that stuff got left in the trash can at the lake!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.