What is the lightest and strongest rod made for catfishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Whiskers4U, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    I have been using Cabela's King Kat Rods, Ugly sticks and mostly rods made of E Glass for their strength. I love all these rods but man are they heavy and after a day fishing and casting, some days it feels like my shoulder is going separate from my body. What are your opinions on some light but strong rods for cating? I tried using some of my bass tackle graphite rods but ended up with a 3 piece rod on many occasions and the rod was only a 2 piece when I started...

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is the reason I use All-Star graphite rods. But any good IM-7 or 8 rod will be lite and great for catfish.
    I use 7 and 7 1/2 ft Heavy action bass rods. Lite and you can feel so much with one that you will never feel with a glass rod.
    Pete

3. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    It depends on what you want. Cheaper rods are normally heavy. You should look at inshore rods and there is a rod called the grayfighter i believe is fairly light. I have 2 shimano calcutta ocean rod they are CL-820 XFA, they are rated for about 2-3 oz but I use them to throw very big lures up to about 16oz. they are very stiff and light. There is no way to throw big heavy tackle all day and not be tired and sore. Some of that is from no back support and a weak back. I use to throw 6oz lures and though that was work, then i switched to 16oz ones and now the 6oz feel light as a feather:big_smile:.
    Strengthen your back, it will help.

4. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a couple of Berkley eglass rods that seem light enough,8' .Graphite rods handle good but I don't buy them because they will break easy if nicked and are not safe to fish with in a storm because of being conductive.
    Jake

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Im not sure how light you are talking about here. But for channel I have been using a Shimano Stimula Rod. Its mostly graphite w a bit of fiberglass thrown in. I have the 6"6' 8-17lb rated one M/H. This is mated to a Shimano Sonora 4000 I have caught plenty of channels with it. Its a great rod it stiffens up when necessary. I caught a 27lb carp on Memorial day also. Kmart sells these you can maybe give the bend test. Dont get the lighter ones though make sure its M/H rated one 8-17 lb. The other ones are too light for the task.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have some older Bass Pro graphit series rods (pretty cheap and good rods) that I like. They have stood up to some very nice flatheads. This is, they used to be made of graphite composite (has some glass in it) and now I believe they are 100% graphite.

I would recommend some sort of composite rod. The composites are almost as tough as glass and almost as light as 100% graphite.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I agree with John, composite is the best choice.

8. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    I use ugly stik lite m/h. lots of backbone and still plenty of flexibility. Just a little more expensive then the plain ugly stiks.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The Cabelas Whuppin Sticks aren't bad for $20. They aren't my first choice for big catfish, but I've got a pair of the 6.5 ft MH, and one of them easily handled a 49lb flathead I blundered into last year while channel catting.

There are probably a lot of good choices. The Ugly Cats aren't bad, either... but probably not much of an improvement weight wise over the King Kats that you already have.

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Well, I love the Ugly Stik Tiger Lite because of the corkwrap handle....I have the 7' Heavy action that will handle 14-40lb line and 1-5oz lures........I weighed the rod last night and it only weighed 9.something oz's.....

I also got my custom Blackhorse rod in yesterday....8' MH and rated 20-40lb and 1-6oz's...It weighs only 14.80 oz's.....It's a "sweet" rod....You can see it in my signature on Blackhorse's website....It's the top two pics on his page......Dwight

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It's hard for me to imagine how a rod could be much lighter than my Quantum Big Cat rod. It's the only rod suitable for catfishing that I like even better than my old St. Croix.

12. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    There will always be a measure of compromise for a rod to be light and strong. Both of these terms are also relative. Light or strong will vary depending on the angler. I do a lot of controled drifting and light is not just nice but after a long day it is necessary. Because of this I am like ShiloRed and use 7 to 7-1/2 foot heavy bass rods. I have bought a rod that I believe to be both very light and very strong that is stronger than the bass rods.
    It is a Bass Pro Shops Gold Cup Innshore GCI71530 7' 15-30 pound line and 1-4 oz lure rated. The catalog and online shows the lure rating at something like 5/8-2 oz but they are misprints. I have a 6500C3 mounted on mine and love it for drifting. As a matter of fact I am going to order another of these rods I like it so well.

Cheez

13. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    just sitting here woundering how much casting can a catfisherman do in a trip to ware out a shoulder or other body parts, thinkn i mite make 8 to 10 cast on a normal nite maybe a few more if things are going good:big_smile::big_smile:fishn with 2 rods fishn 4 the flats and for the channels maybe if thing are going good maybe a cast every 10 mins that would be 6 an hour and that mite add up 2 60 a day,, i'd b more worried about how strong the rod is and durable and in my humbel opinon how could ya ever beat any ugly stik, i know one thing i throw more weight and bait then my rod adds up to

14. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Well, when a rod is light, it makes me wonder "why" the rod is light....Speaking from a "commercial rod" standpoint, the lighter the rod, the more I wonder if it's made outa cheap materials....That's with the "exception" of graphite rods of course.....The only rods I "trust" anymore are the Ugly Stik Tiger Lites and "Custom" rods.....I'm loosing "faith" in a lot of commercial rods....I look at it this way....If you're gonna buy a "highend" rod, you may as well spend your money on a "custom" rod and have it built like you want it....Dwight

15. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Riverbud I will try to answer your question as best as I can from my point of view and from my experiences. The reason I want a light rod is that most of my fishing is controled drifting with the rod in hand. While doing this I have my reel in free spool most of the time with my thumb on the spool and keep bumping bottom. As the depth changes I either let out line or engage the reel and take some line in. I have several rods that will wear out my arm in just a short time such as the Ugly Stik. You are absolutely right, if I am casting out and tightlining or fishing a float any rod will do. Fishing the way I do I need something as light as I can get and still be strong.

Cheez

16. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    John You need a driftmaster rod from the rod shop KC

17. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Ok I'll bite,what is a driftmaster rod? I am flexible and always looking to do it better or easier.

Cheez

18. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    a driftmaster is a custom made graphite rod designed for Phil King very light and very tough. There is a link to the rod shop on My website (link Below)

I have one and it is a pleasure to hold and drift with. only the best workmanship and materials go into this rod they go for $145 but worth every penny. nothing elsse on the market is even close in comparison

19. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I talked to Tom Knox today and if he would take credit cards I would have ordered 2 Driftmasters. As it is we both will have to wait.

Cheez

20. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    you are indeed a wise Man john. THe wait will Be well worth it, Tom and his son Troys workmanship in impeckable!!! I have no doubt those driftmasters will become your favorite rods!