What is the ideal barametric presure ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Stumpknocker2, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    What is the ideal barametric presure for cat fishin? I have heard a lot of people mention it, but really have not heard a number. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Great post hopefully we will get some answers cause i was just talking to a few of my friends about this.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Great question, I too, would be interested in the answer.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Don't really know about ideal, but I believe that either sharp drop or rise are bad.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

5. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    This from a web site i got off ask.com. Iwent to this site after i put in Barametric Pressure. And got this. The question was ,,,does barametric pressure affect fishing. And the annswer that was giving was this: Answer
    Yes, I feel a moving barometer usually means better fishing. Doesn't matter if it is moving up or down, just so it is moving. I keep a barometer in the boat. I think it would effect lake fish more so then river fish, but I don't have much river experience.
    With a little research i guess you find out what the perfect number is. I know i wil be looking for this. Great question Rep,s to you

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my personal experience tells me the absolute best range is between 29.95-30.15 and rising. if it is really humid it makes it even better for some reason.

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    If it is over 30 is great, if it is just under 30, but above 29.80, still good. Under 29.80 and the fishing takes a considerable dive, in my experience, unless it is rising. In any case, if it is rising, it is better than if it is falling.

8. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    my personal opinion is wether it is falling or rising it is better to fishing than sitting at home or being at work but auround 30 is always a good spot

9. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I don't have much luck when it is rising and usually don't fish when the wind is out of the north, which brings in rising pressure.
    On the other hand, I like to fish when the wind is out of the south, which usually means falling barometric pessures.
    I like to fish right at the time the air pressure starts to fall after being high for a couple of days. Then, as they are falling just before a storm hits.
    I have had great luck during really low air pressure if I can fish. It usually means a bad storm.
    I have a "Weathsense" attachment to my Hummingbird Fishfinder that gives me the barometric trends. Even small changes can make a difference.
    I haven't got everything figured out yet, but I certainly do watch the barometric pressure and one of the first things I do when I get in from fishing is to go to the nearest NOAA weather posting of my area on the internet and check the barometric pressures at the time I was fishing. I have seen some direct influences on my "luck" while fishing. Do it for a while and see for yourself.
    With all that being said, I go, even if I don't think I will do great according to the barometric readings. But, they are usually right.

10. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Well it is 29.90 and rising....it has rain most of the day and is now clear. So we will see if that helps the home team any.lol. Let yall know.

11. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My 2 cents worth is that 29.8 to 30.2 is ideal for all fishing and anything above 30.2 is fair. Below 29.8 is not good. Changing pressure is good as well as stable pressure is good.

catman george

12. NightWarrior

NightWarrior New Member

State:
    North Dakota
  13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have never been able to find a correlation between an exact barometric pressure and a good or bad bite, but I have noticed a distinctly better bite on a falling barometer versus a rising barometer. A falling barometer usually signals a change in the weather and in most cases rain or wind which are usually good for the bite.

14. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well, water weighs 62.4 lbs per cubic foot. What does air weigh? Almost nothing, but enough that the column of air all the way to the edge of our atmosphere bears down on you with a pressure of around 17 lbs/in2. Changes in barometric pressure are also quite small, on the order of hundreths of a pound per square inch.

Every foot of water bears a column pressure of 5.2 lbs/in2. This is why diving to just ten feet is equivalent to thousands of feet of altitude in pressure difference. Because we are land-lubbers, we are extremely sensitive to extremely small changes in atmospheric pressure.

For a creature designed to live underwater, on the other hand, it is quite unlikely that atmospheric pressure changes even register. I would consider changes in water temperature, cloud cover, wind, rain, and other factors to be far more significant.

15. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great reference, Craig! Even if I respectfully disagree with their statements that wouldn't pass the Wickipedia test (things like, "It has been known for a long time...") it is still informative reading.

For a long time I believed the barometric pressure effect, but have to admit that my experience has been that this effect is about as reliable a test as the Farmer's Almanac good fishing days table!

The fact I disagree with most strongly, though, is that fish can somehow be more sensitive than land animals to changes in atmospheric pressure--the science just doesn't compute!

16. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I believe a fish's air bladder makes them very sensitive to air pressure changes. Basically, I can go fishing anytime I choose to. Unless I am just plain board and want to just kill some time, I use the barometer to tell me the best times to go and when I fail to heed it's forecast, I spend a lot of time fishing and little time catching.
    I believe NightWarrior's article can be easily adapted to catfishing.
    The exception to the general rules is during flooding times. The catfish often hit well during flooding times regardless of the air pressure.
    I like to fish at windy times. The wind is caused by changing air pressures.
    Those clear blue skys with calm winds or nights you can hear dogs barking 2 miles away are during high pressure and you are better off getting your chores done so they won't hold you up on the good days (or nights) to go.