What is the hardest cartridge there is to load for?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by cuttingout69, Aug 15, 2006.

1. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I was just wander how many of yall have ever load for a .30-30? This has got to be the hardest load to load for as you will 7 out of 10 time chrush the case in the resizing die. I had a old fellow ask me once "what is the hardest cartridge there is to load for?" I told him the .30-30 and he laughed. He said yep you been around loading a little while. I have not shoot a factory round in any of my weapons in 23 years now. Let me say, I have not bought any factory rounds for any of my weapons. I even load my own shoot shells and have made my own buck shoot. I use to have a 12x12 building with a 200 yard shoting range right out the one window in the building. I could load a round, shoot it, then reload it again and shoot some more. I found out that you can shoot a Remington brass 7 times before they get to weak and start cracking. Man I miss my shooting range.

2. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Tony the hardest cartridge to load for is the one ya can't find dies for...everyone know that !

Wait till ya try getting componits for 32-40 Winchester. It took me over a month to find where I could get the correct bullets. The regular 32 caliber or 32 special bullets won't work the con grove is not in the correct place for the 32-40. I would have to shorten the cases to the minimum to make the regular 32 bullet work. Also diameter is special.

Jesse

3. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Jesse are you refering to the con grove as where you crimp the case to the bullet? If so, I was taught by the old man that taught me to never do that on rifles. So I have never crimped any rifles cartridges before. Just wondering.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have been reloading 30-30 for about 30 years.I had a Savage bolt action and a Marlin 336.Very seldom but ocasuationaly I colapsed a case.I used a press and a hand Lee loader.I kept my brass seperate for the two guns.I find that your stated record of "7 out of 10" cases to be a horrible loss.I would think that something is terribly wrong somewhere.I think that you can beat this with a careful investigation of all of your gear and methods.I wish you the best of luck.peewee-williams

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    The ones I had the most trouble with were the belted magnum rifle cartridges and the wildcat cartridges for my Thompson Contender hand gun..I use to shoot .30 and 357 Herret...had to make the cases out of 30-30 brass.:crazy:

6. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I don't have any trouble with 30-30 brass either. My dad gave me some empty cases last year still in the orignal box and they were priced $3.50.
    I don't know how old they were but they load and shoot fine also. Something does not sound right if your losing that many cases?

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Mine was making 7.7 Jap.brass out of 30-06.It was a pain to have to turn the necks as they were too thick.peewee-williams

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    In my long and lustrious loading career I always found the hardest cartridge to load was one I had already seated a bullet in.Do you know how hard it is to insert the powder one grain at a time through the primer flash hole????:roll_eyes: :lol: :big_smile: :confused2: :eek:oooh: :smile2:

9. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

Hey Ken, My brother-in-law had a 30 Herret and that was my first experience with a long range handgun. It was so cool to bust milk jugs at 200 yards with it.

st

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It sounds as if someone bought you a reloader instead of filing for divorce.From reading the above,I think she made a smart choice.No problem.That powder ain;t going to stay in that cartridge without that primer.Also there probably wouldn't be enough of your fingers left to make your post if you were in the habit of seating your primers after dropping your powder.I have never had one go off Y E T ! I always liked to seat my primers by hand,but I no longer have the feel.Some things even I won;t do.Heh,heh!peewee-williams

11. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana

why didnt u just take out the bullet??

lol

but whatever floats your boat lmao

Jeff

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    man you got bad luck if you crush 7/10 maybe you should try using a little caselube? i used to shoot cowboy sillohet so each round was 40 shots plus another 60 or so practicing each week and i never had a single case do that on me