What is the Funniest thing you have saw while fishing

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Boomer, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know there are some stories out there. I have saw some funny stuff, and have pulled a few, "Boy that was stupid of me" things.

The one that comes to mind right off is the day I took my 2 boys and my sister fishing. Boy what a mistake that was.....

My boys were about 5 and 6 and my sister was about 10. You would figure you tell a 10 year old, that she had better watch for flying hooks, and to move down the bank a little ways, that them might, just might realize that they could possibly be in danger. No a 10 year old has a mind of their own.

To make a long story short, my youngest son was throwing out, and he was a pretty wild caster, never looking back to see what was behind him, hooked my sister in the ear lobe. I saw all this going on, and I saw my son keep jerking the pole trying to get hook undone.

My sister let out a scream, the hook went clear thru the lobe. Nicely pierced. After I got her calmed down I took some wire cutters and cut the barb off and pulled it back thru.

That was my sisters last fishing trip!

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Funniest thing Ive seen was a buddy messing with a bull and had to jump in the lake to get away. :smile2:

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I said this in another post too but funniest thing I've ever seen fishing was when we beached the boat on the river bank one time to take a break and a baby bobcat came running down the shore towards us crying, it had lost it momma I guess, I came right up to us like a house cat and had no problem being picked up. We fed it some bream and set it in the boat, it went to sleep in the storage hold. Let it go later, he's probably big by now i hope...:big_smile:

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i seen a bass guy fall out of the boat. looked like stepped on the trolling motor pedal and wasnt ready to go left.lol the hole lake must have herd me and his partner laughing.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    teaching my niece when she was 11 to bait her own worm. Middle of the lake on a calm day and her screaming uncle scotty make it stop moving!! you could hear her for a country mile and everyone in that mile who werent already laughing were hollering back "yeah uncle scotty make it stop..."

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have seen a bunch but one that really sticks out in my head ,,,,

Fishing from the bank off the remains of an old bridge abutment at Beech Fork Lake, up where it gets shallow. Now, the channel is clearly marked but the lake is much wider than the channel up that way and in this particular spot there is an old elevated road bed that runs 3/4 across the lake to the old bridge I was fishing.

Soooo, Along comes a rental pontoon plumb full of folks who looked to have been drinking. Wide open(10 hp restriction on this lake) On the very front of the deck, forward of the "fence" stands a man with what may have been a beer in his hand.

I guess the "captain" did not wish to follow the channel so he cuts right across the apparently open water.
    Yes, the open water concealing the road bed maybe 8 inches under.

I nudged my fishing buddies and said "watch this". Sure enough, wide open on to the road bed which stopped their progress, RIGHT NOW!

Every one in the boat goes down and the feller on the front cartwheels through the air, 30 foot or so, into what thankfully was the deeper water on the other side of the road bed! Boy was he surprised!!

I like to had a stroke laughing so hard!!

Hang on, it's not over yet!

They get their chit back together, the "Flying Wallenda" back onboard, and commence to standing (all but the "captain") on the bow looking down at what they had hit.
    Meanwhile, the "captain" is cranking reverse with all that poor abused little motor had, Trying to back off the road bed with what you can imagine was very little success.

After about 10 or 15 minutes of this, I am beginning to get my breath back and holler at them to all walk back to the stern.
    Of course, she came right off then and they motored back to where ever it was they came from. I reckon they were too embarrassed to come by us in the channel or maybe they were going back to change their britches....:smile2:

Worked for me, by that time I had laughed so much and so hard that I had some "business" to take care of myself.:wink::smile2:

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i went camping and fishing with tonto a few weeks ago, and we were packing up and leaving, we had to drive through his families farm property to get back from the river. i was riding in back, so i was the gateman. we got to the last gate, i get out, open it up, let him drive through and then close it, latch it, and what the hell? im on the wrong side!

8. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Another one that comes to mind is me and a buddy is fishing down at a lake that had a small tailwater area, fishing for cat on the bottom, and this joker on the other side kept throwing over our lines fishing for Hybrids.

The guy I was fishing with weighed close to 350, about 6'3" big guy, easy going, until you ticked him off as I found out. After about the 3rd time of hanging my friend up, he yelled across and told him we were fishing over on this side to fish on his own side. The buy across from us paid no head. The 4th time he hung my friend up, my friend told him, next time he was going to go over there and toss him in.

Next cast right over our lines.......Bill pulled in his line and said I will be right back. He could have drove, but he just took off walking above the outlet, down the rocks to where this guy was at. They exchanged some words I couldnt hear, next thing I know, Bill has this skinny fellow by the back of the neck and the seat of the pants, and toss' him about 10 feet out into the water.

Bill turns around, walks up the rocks never looking back to see if this guy knew how to swim or not. He gets back over to our side, and all he says was, "Some people" the other guy gets out of the water gathers up his stuff and leaves........

Funniest thing I ever saw.

9. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have watched and listened to more altercations at tail waters than any other place.

I laughed one day till I cried. 3 guy who had been drinking heavily, came down to where me another guy and his 17 year old son were fishing. The man and his son had the "Ideal Spot", these 3 guys came down and decided they were just going to take over. They kept throwing over our lines trying to drive us from our spots.

The man told the loud obnoxious one to not throw over our lines to fish straight out. The words got heated....

The drunk guy pushed the other guy. This guys son, who was big kid, got up and told the guy to go back down where he was fishing. The drunk guy told the kid to mind his own business. LOL wrong answer, I doubt the drunk ever saw the right hand that hit him, and I am pretty sure broke his nose. The other 2 guys came and collected their friend and took him up to their truck.....then they gathered up their stuff and left......

People like that give fishing a bad name........

10. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I can not top these but I got to add mine
    Bank fishing down by the river and kinda close to a boat launch one evening a small boat cam fliing by to come in with the attitude of to H--l with bank lines and went right on across short time later there was a commotion at the ramp went on for about 30 min then a big truck flashing yellow lights back down the ramp when we walk over to see better the tow truck was pulling a nice mini truck up out of the river with a boat and trailor on it found out Mister too good for courtisy forgot the Ebrake and the truck would not drive out

11. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a lot of stories about fishing tail waters. Some people think that when they arrive everyone else should just pack up and leave.

This particular tail water had a boat ramp close, I was fishing beside this older fellow and he had his granddaughter of about 5 or so with him, we were close to the boat ramp which was narrow anyway, the older fellow had some of his tackle sitting on the ramp.

A couple of guys in a new bass boat were backing down the ramp, as the old man was moving his stuff. I guess he wasnt moving it quick enough, so the driver stopped and berated this old man, and informed him that was a boat run.....yak, yak, yak. I felt bad for the old man.

Well to make matters worse they pulled right into the spot we were fishing.

Then a strange thing happened. The guy in the front seat kept getting higher and higher above the water. I looked at the back of the boat and saw that water was about an inch from sinking it. They had forgot to put the plug in.

I asked the older fellow, think we should tell them they are sinking. His reply was, "I dont want to insult their intelligence, they are smart fellows, and straightened me out on what a boat ramp was, so I am pretty sure they know they are sinking!" I could see his way of thinking, and agreed.

We set there for another few minutes, and someone across the river yelled at them that they were sinking. They finally got it started and put the plug in and got it back to shore to drain. I couldnt keep from chuckling, as all the water poured out. After that they headed down stream.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Why Not To Fish During A Full Moon!!
    Well, I almost forgot about this one, but I think you may enjoy this as well. This took place about 4 or 5 years ago, during a local fishing tournament. It was early April, and the first signs of spring had arrived. Along with the green leaves, and chirping birds came the early season rain and highwater on the river. Me and my fishing partner headed to the river to drop our boat in on that evening for another saturday night local fishing tournament. After we launched we made a short run up river against the fairly strong current until we reached our destination to start the evening. Upon arriving, we got tied in on the channel side of the river in some timber, and baited up hopefully for some pre-dark action. We weren't there very long and we heard another boat coming upstream from behind. As it came around the bend it was clear who it was, another local river rat that lives a few miles downstream on the river. He also was signed up for the tournament that night. As he came closer, the motored slowed, and it was clear that he was gonna fish the same area that I had already got to. He had a beer in hand, and raised it in the air acknowledging who we were, and then circled around to stop directly across from where we were. No, problem we thought, he wasn't crowding us at all, and we planned on jumping spots anyways. Now, this is where it gets interesting! This guy is a great guy, but he has proved to be one of the best beer drinking fishermen known around. Well he quickly stood, setting his beer down on the seat of his small 14 foot jon boat and did the unexpected!!! From the bottom of his boat he came up with a 12in. cement block with rope tied from it for his anchor. And then, out of nowwhere.. takes off running, jumping the middle seat without a problem I must add, and abruptly hits the bow, in and attenpt to heave his homemade device as far as he can. Well, I'm not the smartest individual, but if there was ever anything I have ever witnessed this was one for us to say needlessly," we seen it coming!" :smile2: Well, the block went straight, the front of the boat went right, and he went left. I have never seen a person defy gravity the way he did! His arms must have windmilled five times before he hit the water! The laughing was delayed due to the time of the season. The water temps. were in the low 60's if that, and the river was swollen. I was getting things together to attempt a rescue effort, when all of a sudden he emerged throwing himself back into the tiny boat with no problem! That was the next thing, that amazed me! How did he just do that? I asked my partner! I could not have gotten back into that boat without tipping it! Well, all is well now,,, so we thought!:eek:oooh: His next actions simply crossed the lines of all integrity and self pride. He started stripping his closes off in the boat, between every article being removed he sipped on a new beer he gracefully opened. I'm thinking, why doesn't he simply ride down stream home and change his clothes and come back? Well at this point, we are in tears laughing looking at a 40 year old man, gut hanging out, wearing his soaked whitey tighty underwear! Nothing else on! As he stands there in the wobbling boat, beer in hand, he yells over," It's gonna be a cold one tonight!" .... I was lost for words, and my buddy also. If that wasn't bad enough, he sat down baited his poles and started fishing.. We all claim to be hardcore fishermen, but this guy just raised the bar!! lol.. Well we sat there cracking jokes etc. for around a half an hour, when he stands again! Gets into his cooler gets another beer, then decides to relieve his full bladder. He didn't just let the little member sneak out.. NO! HE TAKES the last bit of clothing off, throwing them down in the boat to yell," Thats the only damn thing left that ain't dry!" At this point, we could not stomach anymore. We pulled anchor fired up and left for better area! The fishing may have been better in that spot that night, but the scenery certainly wasn't! He never did make it to the weigh-in that night, thank goodness, and we of course being good people didn't speak a word to anyone about fishing during the full-moon!!!!!:smile2: rollo

13. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee

Why can it never be the really hott girls that do that

14. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Over the years I have come to the conclusion, that the IQ of the human race is on a down hill slide. And the full moon guy goes to prove that theory.

Have you ever watched America's Funniest Home Videos? One of my favorite shows. What are these people thinking? Or do they? It is mind boggling to think there are some many dummies out there. This is a weekly TV show, I can see maybe one show in a year, but weekly.

To prove my theory I present the following website to check out:
    http://darwinawards.com/ some of these people have made the ultimate sacrafice in the name of stupidity. At least there is a benifit to the ultimate sacrafice, it takes those genes right out of the gene pool, so there is hope!

15. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I remember one day my Dad and one of his friends were fishing from a pontoon boat they were rebuilding. It was just a flat deck with no rails on it yet. Dad and his buddy had put a couple of the fold up aluminum lawn chairs on the boat for seats. Well, Dad was sitting right up on the front of the boat and they started off across the lake fast as the boat would go. What a sight, Dad sitting in the lawn chair, legs crossed, a beer in his hand and a pipe in his mouth. Suddenly the guy driving the boat chopped the throttle all the way back, Dad, chair, beer and pipe all together did a perfect 360 front flip and hit the water. Dad popped up and still had the pipe in his mouth and the beer bottle in his hand. Never did get the lawn chair back tho.

16. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Several years back my buddy and I were just coming in from fishing the river. The ramp was down on the lake so there were people skiing and such there. This one fellow was sitting on the bank holding on to a ski rope and you could tell real quick that this was a new boat and driver. The wife was driving the boat and we just stopped and watched. There was a lot of slack in the rope and we could see what was fixin to happen. The wife hollered, "are you ready ski daddy?" And he hollered back, "I'm ready ski momma!" and she nailed that sucker wide open. When the slack was taken out it jerked him out of his skis and he looked like a torpedo going out under the water. He just wouldn't let go, I thought he was going to drown and I and my friend like to have died laughing at all that scene.

17. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Mine just happen tonight. Well....it sort of has to do with catfishing.

Last night I accidently shut my dog in the garage after I had been working out there awhile.(she is a indoor dog). Didn't realize it until I heard her pawing at the door about 10 pm. Got home from work today and noticed a horrible smell in the garage. Assuming that she had pooped in the garage I start looking for poop, but could find none. I noticed as I walked by the boat it had an odor, I opened the bait tank and it was indeed was a bit ripe. So I back the boat out of the garage and spend the next 20 minutes cleaning the bait tank inside and out. I walk back into the garage to get something and still, a very strong foul oder, so I again start looking for dog poop. Then beside the tool box, behind some other boxes I find a tub of wicked sticky dip bait(I had opened it once and used a little the other day). The lid was off! And half the Wicked Sticky dip bait was gone!! Moral of the story? If there is any, dogs love Wicked Sticky to.
    I had to share, I thought it was pretty funny.
    And no, amazingly, she did not get sick, at least not yet. .

18. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    My story's not side-splitting funny, just kinda cute funny. Two years ago, when my granddaughter was 7, my husband & I took her bream fishing. She caught her first fish...ever!....and then we got into a bream bed. This child is snatching 'em in right & left, & having a blast. She never once asked for help, or said she couldn't do it. They'd take the hook, & she jerk them right out of the water & straight into the boat, all in one motion! Once, though, just as she got to the side of the boat with one, it shook off the hook & fell back in the water.:crazy: She almost fell over the side of the boat, trying to catch it! I had to grab the back of her lifejacket!! She looked up so surprised & said, "Where'd my fish go?" I told her it went back in the river. She says, "Well, get it back!":smile2: A little while later she caught another good bream, & was convinced that it was the same one she'd lost earlier. She looked at it very smugly & said, "I got ya that time!" That was a trip we'll never forget!

19. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    To make a long story short, my youngest son was throwing out, and he was a pretty wild caster, never looking back to see what was behind him, hooked my sister in the ear lobe. I saw all this going on, and I saw my son keep jerking the pole trying to get hook undone.

My sister let out a scream, the hook went clear thru the lobe. Nicely pierced. After I got her calmed down I took some wire cutters and cut the barb off and pulled it back thru.

That was my sisters last fishing trip![/quote]

Funniest thing my dad did the same thing to me when i was about 10!!!

20. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well i caught two turtles threw em up on the bank then my friend starts messin around with em. they kinda chase him then he gets bit...lol i guess it was funny at the time