what is the etiquette with....

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    what is the etiquette for getting to a new spot? do you mainly just look for posted signs/clearly defined boundaries to identify where to or not to go? it is obvious that you would not want to walk through someones yard and fish off their porch. however i have found a few places i have thought about trying, but there is no clear/defined way to tell who owns or has say over the property between the main road and the shore line. what are your alls thoughts???

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Well, I don't know how it is around where you are,, and typical feeling from folks,,

But,, I think It's always better to ask forgiveness than permission,, with in reason..

and, If you have a bit of the gift of gab,, you may make some friends in the process..

If it's not posted, and you're comfortable,, and the general concensus in your area is compliant, then I'd say go fishin,,,

3. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like to get permission if I feel thats the case. Back in the day I didnt care about tresspassing, but I do remember the awkward feeling of allways haveing to look over my shoulder. I jus want to have a good time with no worries.

4. kingkat82

kingkat82 New Member

State:
    Central KS
    Most people are sane and aren't bothered by a respectful fisherman IMO. If anything, if you were to try out one of the spots and someone stops to see who's fishing you will find out if it's ok or not:wink:

5. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    If it's private property I ask.

I try to develop a relationship with the land owner even if it's casual. I figure if he/she ever decides to post their land, I would still be able to fish there.

6. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Go to the courthouse and get a free plat map of the area with the owners names on it. It is public information. Then go from there. It is always best to have a good feeling about what you are doing to better enjoy your fishing.

7. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    "It is always best to have a good feeling about what you are doing to better enjoy your fishing." Thats what im saying.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    im with you guys, the reason i asked was that the places are in a way that the owner if there is one is unclear. it could be state, or private.

thanks for all the good responses so far.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Wear black cloths and fish at night , LOL.

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Where ever ya go to bank fish just remember one thing. Leave it better than what ya found it. :wink:

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

done that before...not lately or likely ever again but it has been done :smile2:

im not afraid to talk to people so i will go right on up and ask now days

12. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Just because it isn't posted doesn't mean you're not trespassing if you're on that land.

It's always better to ask permission first. Not going fishing is better than consequences that can come from trespassing. Plus, if you ask and get permission, you'll likely be able to fish continuously. If you get caught trespassing, you'll probably never get permission to return.

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

ive also had people try and run me off my own land :smile2:

14. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Do not overlook city, county, and state parks as they have a lot of untapped opportunities awaiting. You may have to figure a way to get off the beaten pathway to have a "honey hole" to yourself, but it can be done. Even at these public places I obtain permission before forging a new pathway or trimming limbs to make room to cast. A pole saw is invaluable for this. :wink:

Ray

15. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    well my theory is you don't know till you try, the worst that could happen is they tell you to leave.

16. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    I learned some things from my old skateboarding days. If you dont see a sign then you cant get a fine. But If I know its private property I will talk to the land owner.

17. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Go to the courthouse and get a free plat map of the area with the owners names on it. It is public information. "

Here in my county that info (and more) is available on the Internet on the sheriff's tax website.

The plats are not as good as what the Courthouse can provide you with but are usually close enough to get an idea of who owns what.

I know that Mecklenburg Co. NC. has a similar website.

18. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K

I'm with you bro., if it ain't posted and there's no fence or houses within sight for me to ask, I'm going after it. Be sure and take your two best friends S&W in case they're needed.:smile2:

19. catfisherman04

catfisherman04 Well-Known Member

State:
    Derby Ks
    When i was 14 i would do anything to fish a good spot i seen, whether it meant walking a few miles through a farmers field or if i was fishing a private pond in a rich neighborhood i would open peoples gates and walk right through their backyards !!!:wink:

20. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    well if I find a spot and I am not sure about I usually see if there is someone around I could ask or talk to. If there isn't, I usually look for beer cans. If there are beer cans then that means people fish there and don't worry about getting arrested or caught on private property. Also, If I see fishing line in the trees it is usually a good sign. Most of the time though, I say fish it until you get yelled at and then just play dumb or pretend you are developmentally disabled. Hope that helps. PEACE.