What is the dumbest thing you have ever done when fishing? lol

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Nov 11, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ok, Ohio boys, and BOC brothers for that matter. just a little change of pace for everyone on here, and a chance to have a little fun and poke alittle as well. lmao! My question to you is what is the dumbest thing you have done while fishing or spending time out on your favorite water? or do you have a story to tell about a buddy and his stupidity as well?:smile2: i will break the ice, and give you all the chance to make fun of me first. rollo

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    DO NOT i repeat DO NOT attempt this!!! the dumbest thing i have done while out on the water, was let a buddy of mine bet me i wasn't man enough to let a crawdad pinch my nipple!!!! i have a pic. i will try to find!! let me tell you, this was the worst pain ever expeienced! stupidity!!! it wouldn't let go..it had my nipple stretched to the max, and yes rollo was bleeding!!!:embarassed: so, go ahead and shoot your fun and stories!...lol rollo

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    well the dumbest thing i have done is leave the motor toter on and didnt figure it out till the motor wouldnt trim out :embarassed:

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    One of the many:

While bankfishin the Ohio River by myself @ 3 am: Turned off my out of fuel gas Colman Lantern. ....took off the cap and waited a few min.

Placed in the funnel and started to pour in liquid fuel....ca-boom... poured a bunch of fuel on me when it went and lite up about 3/4 of a mile of the river with me being the light n AFIRE.
    I was able to dive in the weeds and roll it off... I was looking at jumping in the river if that did not work!!

Now I use no lanterns but only Glo-Stiks n a headlamp.

:005::005::005:

5. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    I'd have to say the dumbest thing would be taking my jon boat out about 30 minutes after getting a fresh tattoo on my leg,then setting out without tightening the trolling motor on so about 15 feet from the shore when I kicked it up it fell right off into the water and I had to dive in after it.
    Not only was I cold but it made my leg sting and :roll_eyes:lightened up the color and I had to get it touched up.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Brand new pole...not tied down and away she went never to be seen again.............:beat_brick:Definatly a stupid moment

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I bought a new ( used) boat, took it to the local lake for the first time out, trim was having prolems working so I had it all the way down, ran the boat, got back to the ramp, and left it down since the UP didnt work, trailered it out and it felt like the parking brake was on, I got about 10 feet up the ramp before the ranger sitting in his car at the ramp, said over the loudspeaker "Stop, your dragging the boat on the motor scag" I certainly felt like the biggest idiot on the lake that day, luckily all was fine and a powerful lesson learned....:eek:oooh:
    Salmonid

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good posts!!!! i don't feel like the only guy to start the motor and drag an anchor 200 yrds. before understanding you can't get er on plane that way!!!! rollo:smile2:

9. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well...theres been a few instances such as tipping over the john boat while trying to set a trot line...then there was grabbing ahold of the trotline to try to hold the boat still before we flipped it sending a big ol' hook into my index finger. theres a few other ones but ill post them later

10. avitem1949

avitem1949 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not me but a close friend took his boat to the state park in Springfield, OH to test run it. Not a big boat, 18ft. glass, Merc I/O, pulled by a Ford Expidition. Was there oil on the ramp or was it just slippery that day? When all was said & done, only the top 5 " of the truck was showing!!! He WILL NOT give me a copy of the picture, but the event gets funnier every time we talk about it!!! Howard M. Galloway

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    What is a motor toter? I was fishing with S_Man a couple of weeks ago and when it started raining a little he said do you want to put your camera in the storage I replied with naaa its under the front part of your boat it wont get wet :wink:, well it didnt really get wet but it did get condensation in it and now our Digital Camera doesnt work LOL.

One time while fishing with my brother in law I saw a lure on a tree trunk that was in the water and decided that I should get it LOL. I stepped on the trunk and the trunk sunk I fell off and went knee deep in muck and it pulled my shoe off :smile2:. I was able to find my shoe but that was some nasty muck LOL.

12. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    caught a nice flathead probably 40+ pounds..biggest fish i ever caught..well almost caught,had on the bank for a few seconds and instead of going down to pick him up tried to horse him up to me with the rod using 20 pound test..of course it snapped and he took off back into the water with my circle hook sticking outta his mouth.felt pretty doumb after that!

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    gary, i still haven't seen the boat!! i know for fact it has boated many huge flats!!! maybe, skip didn't consider the knee deep water being cold this time of year cause it never sinks!!.... you know....head back, pull the plug let 'er drain system...skip goes by....!!!. rollo:big_smile:

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i know your pain!!! i had a flat, prob 45-50lb. on my river three yrs. back. my buddy missed him 3 times with the net. i don't like to talk about fish unless i see them. well, we saw this one! Had him whipped!! until he gave the Olympic Last dive!!!! you can ask him today... it was a bigun!!! i just don't like to hear about the one that got away! anyone can say how big it was.... but how do you know? to me its not about the size of your biggest.. but how many biguns you have caught in your lifetime... that seperates the lucky from the good!!!! rollo

15. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I'd say the dumbest thing i have dont was out in the boat one day on the Ohio river and decided to go into the GMR to try and get some bait. Were cruisin up the river about 20mph and all the sudden bam we come to a dead stop nearly throwing a buddy of mine out. It was pretty dumb going through that water that fast not knowing how deep it was

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Dumbest thing I ever did was while trotlining. I liked to run my lines out of the back of the boat, because both my outboard and trolling motor were on the transom, and it got me down close to the water. On this particular day, a storm was blowing in, so I was simply removing the fish without taking the time to rebait. About halfway through the last line, with the line bent like a bowstring from the force of the wind, I realized that there was water in the boat halfway up the transom, from waves breaking over it. I immediately decided that the rest of the line would just have to go unchecked, and let go of the line. Carefully. I made sure that I held it halfway between two hooks, so I wouldn't get snagged, and released the line...safely. But I didn't start drifting with the waves! I looked down and saw that the hook had hung on the lifting handle on the back corner of the boat. That's when my brain went into free-spool. Instead of taking the bait knife that was laying right beside me and simply cutting the dropper, I grabbed the hook in my left hand and tried to throw it. It got me, of course. Right alongside the nail of my left index finger. And it almost jerked me right out of the boat. From that position, I couldn't reach the knife, so I grabbed the hook in my right hand and ripped it out of my finger. (Brain is still in free-spool.) Then I tried to throw it with my right hand. This time it stuck in the joint of my right thumb. I grabbed the hook with my left hand and ripped it out. (Brain finally engages.) I grabbed the line between the hooks and released it safely. By this time, the boat was full of water, and stuff was floating away. I started to move to the front of the boat to counterbalance the weight of the outboard, but only got about halfway when a wave picked up the boat and set it down on top of a stump. The boat's in danger of turning over, so I slipped over the side and held onto the side to try to get it to slide off the stump back into the water. Didn't work. The boat kept tipping over, so when it had me pulled out of the water to my knees, I let go and slipped back into the water; the boat rolled over. Since I was in a 15' deep patch of flooded woods, I definitely didn't want to go into the water headfirst. The way my luck was running, I'd have landed on a stump headfirst and broken my neck. I stayed with the boat, guiding it around stumps and treetops till my feet reached bottom. Then I could turn the boat right side up. I pulled the boat full of water as far up on the shore as possible, then began bailing out the water with a 5-gallon bucket, while waves broke over the transom, putting more water back in. Finally, I got enough water out to pull the boat up another couple of feet, and really started to get ahead of the water coming in from the waves. Bailed out most of the water. Walked along the shoreline and picked up anything that floated. Tied a rope to the front of the boat and played Humphrey Bogart getting it back to the launch point. As soon as I got home, I removed the outboard cover and spark plug, squirted a 50/50 mis of oil and gas into the chamber, pulled the starter cord a few times, and repeated the process 3 or 4 more times. Put the spark plug back in. Stuck the bottom of the outboard down into a half barrel of water and started it up. Let it run for half an hour. Never had any trouble with it.

17. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

C'mon Howard, we WANT a picture. Tell him we're laughing WITH HIM, not at him.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Oh yeah: Rollo,we don't need to see your picture, a visual is plenty good. LOL Who in their right mind would attach a crawdad to their nipple? Was there alcohol involved?????

18. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Oh yeah: Rollo,we don't need to see your picture, a visual is plenty good. LOL Who in their right mind would attach a crawdad to their nipple? Was there alcohol involved?????[/quote]

There had to be alcohol involved.
    :dribble:
    LMAO!

19. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hmmm...there are so many, I would have to day the dumbest thing I ever did on the water was when I was new to boating. My buddy took me out to go fishing and realized he forgot his battery, so he left me at the dock to watch the boat and ran back to the house. Me not knowing any different, I began to realize that his boat sure looked like it was taking on water and fast. Since I was all alone, and he left his phone with me, I sat there dumbfounded, and could not figure out why I was watching this boat sink???It was an old inboard outboard with a straight 6 cyliner volvo pinta engine. Minutes went by and eventually the whole engine was under water. I jumped in the boat and began using a bucket to pour water out, still couldnt figure out what was going on, I had no truck , and no contact with him. Finally he appeared at the top of the ramp, and began sprinting down stripping most of his close off on the way. Turns out he forgot the plug, like I said I was new to boating and had no idea. He dove in the Ohio river, and stuck the plug in, ran up and got the truck, and we spent 30 minutes trying to get this boat out, tires smoking and all it looked like a drag strip because the boat was so heavy. finally got it out, needless to say boat was finished...Heck of a lesson learned the first time out...lol:embarassed:

20. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    To have faith in your fishing partner to put enough GAS in the boat!