What is the deepest water you've caught a Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by pop pop, Nov 24, 2008.

1. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    On most lakes there is a definent thermacline that set up in the summer. But in the fall and winter months it goes away meaning cats can be anywhere the oxygen and bait is. The 80 lber in my avatar came from 85ft. and I've caught many 20 and 30 lbers from 100 to 110 ft. in the winter. So for the sake of conversation, What is the deepest water you've caught a catfish in?

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    About the 50 foot range at Santee. Deepest water I have caught a catfish at. :wink:

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    right around 60ft on the ohio river is the deepest i have caught a cat ,, that was in mid summer and hottt!!! :eek:oooh:

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    right around 60ft on the ohio river is the deepest i have caught a cat ,, that was in mid summer and hottt!!! :eek:oooh:

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    I have fished Lake Monticello several times now and I wish it was in my back yard. It just blows my mind that you can catch big blues in 50 to 115 feet of water. I have enjoyed two trips with ChrisBlue and we fished the greater depths, drifting and anchored down and were successful each time. Then I went back with turfwood and we fished the 55 to 85 depths and caught quality fish. I have tried the deep depths on LKN and never got a fish into the boat. Marked some stuff, but they don't seem to feed on the bottom in deep waters here on Norman.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    It was about 60 feet for me. The burpin em part is a blast. :smile2:

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great thread I hope you get some positive feedback Pop Pop. I have often wondered this myself. The deepest I have ever caught 1 was 50+ft deep in lake Moultrie. I am interested to hear from others on this subject.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just because the O2 & temperature levels aren't at the optimum for survival at the bottom doesn't prevent catfish from going there in search for food. They just can't stay there long. They have to return to the thermocline. JMHO.

Maybe it helps to be a trotliner to know this........ when the fish start dying on the line, it's time to either quit fishing the line or raise it up into the thermocline.

9. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Mine has been in the 90-100' range in some holes behind the dikes but I still think 50'-60' is the optimum depth especially for the really big ones at least here on the MS River

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    The deepest we've caught them is about 40ft. However, that's about the deepest holes around in the rivers down here. There is one 65-70ft hole here on the Cape and we're going to give it a try this year.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ohio river in 70' of water.

12. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    120 feet on wilson lake here in alabama:wink:

13. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    120 feet on wilson lake here in alabama...:wink:

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    70+ feet but then again that was in the river...we have a big lake around here where it gets well over 100ft but no blues in there, wow what a place to fish if there was...:roll_eyes:

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I caught a bunch of Bluecats on one trip in 80'....they were not big ones, but they were all keepers.:big_smile:

16. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Pop I have caught some over 100 ft on monty as well, but have caught a few out of hartwell around 120 to 130 ft. drifting out in front of the dam. there has been some bigs cats caught out there by people striper fishing, didnt catch many because couldnt get a good hook set and that was before I started using circle hooks though. havent fished in that area any more but prob. need to give it more effort.

17. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    what time of year is the best for fishing deep water? i know here after the first of the year shad will go to deeper water so we to fish deeper, but i`ve haven`t ever tried to fish any deeper than the channel

18. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    About 90ft for me, but that is about the deepest I've tried.