what is the cheapest i can get a raft,yak or any thing like it

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by richmondherperman, Oct 9, 2008.

1. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    I will be fishing a small canal what can i get and i don't have a roof rack is there anyway i could get one on a maxama.

2. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    If you shop around you can pick up a starter kayak for 300$ or a bit less.

Inflatable will probably cost less than that, but won't last as long either IMO.

If your willing to take some time, you could build yourself a little boat stitch and glue that would be about as light as a yak. Do a search for Stitch and Glue boat plans

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    small used flat bottom for aroung a 100

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    You don't want an inflatable. Rubber and fishing hooks don't go to good together:crazy:. I bought my kayak for $150 used. Its a 10.6 foot perception and it came with a good paddle. As for the roof of your car my mother used to put a 14 foot canoe on a Datsun car when we were kids. Just get some foam and rope:wink:. Look in the paper for used gear or you can buy new. I bought my wife a little Otter kayak for $250, but its not worth a crap.

5. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I think you might benefit from a catamaran. They are inflatable but the pontoons are a heavy material and if you get a hole in one you still have the other to keep you afloat. And they are totaly patchable. I know bass pro and cabelas has them. I've seen them on craigslist pretty cheap. Down side to them is they will not do as well in the wind as a kayak. Plan on getting a kayak when you get enough money.

6. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    If you have a dicks sporting goods in your location they run pretty good sales on there kayaks, some for around 300 or less. I prefer the sit on top style for fishing. Check craigslist, you can find a good sit on yak for 500 or under.

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I would look on craigslist. I buy and sell on there alot and have always had good luck.

8. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    What i see them at dicks for $250 and cosco for $200 and the main probe is that i don't have a truck or suv could i buy a rack i have seen people with things that have big wheels on them for yaks.

9. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    You should be able to buy a rack for your car, I believe you said you had a Maxima. Check out the Yakima or thule systems. On a cheap you can buy a foam/rope kit, but if you will use the yak a lot I would suggest a rack system. I have seen guys put 14-16ft yaks on their cars with no problems.

Also be weary of the shorter yaks (11ft) or under. They will not track very well.

10. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    How about an inntertube and a lawn chair!

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

The chair is already built into the innertube.

12. dshef76

dshef76 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    walmart caries a 10 ft. one for 250.00. I have customized mine w/ fish finder and sump. its a sit inside but very stable. I can throw it on top of my car and head out fishing. its easy to move and cuts across the like ice. great for all types of water and I can get thru 4-6inches of water. try that w/ a boat....