What Is The Catfish Boat Of All Catfish Boats?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by okie catfishen, Jul 15, 2006.

1. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    My wife has said that I can buy a new boat this next spring for catfishing. What do you guys think is the best boat for catfishing?

Keith
    Newcastle, Oklahoma

2. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    there isnt one!!! every boat you find no matter how close will always have some issue with it hinder something you may want to do. if they would set up a jon like a deep v, with the steering column all the way up to the deck and seating behind it, it would come pretty close. they do make a few like that but i havent seen one in anything over 18ft.

3. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    I want something plane. That has high walls. I like flat bottom the best. Does not have to have the biggest motor, But the widder the better.

4. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    There are so Minny variables in picking out a boat that it is hard to say. How Minny people are going to be fishing with you, what kind of water are you going to be on, how far are you going to have to travel on the water to get to your fishing hole. Aluminum or fiberglass. Each person is going to have a different answer. Right now I have a 18 foot fiberglass, center console that has high sides. It is a very stable boat which is what I need I am disabled and have a bad knee so need something to give me more stab ability. The boat is old (1974) and the floor is getting week and will cost more to repair than the boat is worth. I am thinking of getting a pontoon this coming year. I think it will give me everything that I need and will be good for the water that I will be on.

The choice for your boat will have to be up to you but hope I gave you something to think about. Is your wife going fishing with you, if so let her help pick out what you should get.

5. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I have n 1860 center console grizzly that do everthing I need. High sides, very stable and is easy to pull.

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    8' jon boat with trollin motor :) and a squeeky horn

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

close enough to perfect for me would be an 20-22 foot SEA ARK center console rigged with 10-12 rod holders a removable bait tank and the console more towards the front of the boat. I have an 18 footer now that is being picked up wednesday by the guy that bought it because the wife wants a pontoon so I guess thats the perfect boat for me. Keep momma happy and everybodies happy but katie bar the door if that's not the case. lol

8. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Sea Ark is on my wish list for sure.

9. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well , the best catfish boat, I don't think they make one, I will turn 58 this month, I have owned boats since I was 15 years old. At least 1 , and sometimes as many as 7, at a time, every thing from john-boats to deep v's ,and a few high speed bass boats,but the one I use now is a 24 ft. pontoon, it has an 8x10 ft. top with a toilet/bathroom,for the wife and friends,only one mounted seat(drivers), full rails from front to back ,with rod holder mounts every 22 inches all around. very easy to fish from,and easy to pull,Trailer has 14 inch wheels (4) and runs the interstate at 70 mph.........Also the boat runs the lakes at 32mph with a 90HP merc.......

10. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    I dont have a boat yet, but I asked that same question. And it all depends on what you like and what you need brother.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I love my kayaks, four rodholders and everything I need. Can paddle up to four miles in an hour to get to spots, drift, still fish, almost anything that can be done in a bigger boat, just not as fast. And, all this, in my case, for $300.

12. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Any boat Iam catching fish from.lmao

As posted before decide what you want the boat to do. Where and how you plan on using it. Just be assured it will be 2ft to short as soon as you buy it. One thing that I have Never undertood is why people buy a deep boat and then have the transome cut down to fit a short shaft motor. Another cosideration, towing, how far? and with what? I had a friend that bought a way to big boat for his truck.He ended up renting a bouy and didn't like the lake.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Here is what I look for in a boat:

1) Width / at least 72"
    2) Decent size motor / enough to run 25-30mph
    3) Storage / closed compartments for life jackets, tackle, etc.
    4) Shallow draft / 12'-14"

I like the Sea Ark for the money. They are built sturdy and have a lot of nice features. The Carolina Skiff is a nice boat, but I am not sure about the ride with the flatter bottom.

A lot depends on the waters you fish, and your list of needs may vary greatly. Make that list, and try to decide what you need and take the time to shop around for a boat that meets those needs.

14. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Can't forget the work-out you also get. Myself and TA2D use a canoe for Crappie/Bass/Bluegill fishing. It's a blast, but we're on the hunt for a simple aluminum boat to get out on the Missouri River, and larger reservoirs in the state.

SudDawg

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
  16. gater460

gater460 New Member

State:
    eldon,mo
    suddawg, a old friend of mine and myself used to fish branched oak in a small canoe with a trolling motor if you can imagine that we had a couple pretty scary moments in that thing.

17. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I love my 16' lowe river john, but would I like to have a 20'er? YES, I don't think that anyone is ever completely happy with what they have, not me anyway, but for 2 people mine is set up for cat and I love it!

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Leonard, I never figured out why folks like a highsided boat so much for fishing. Those big fish come over a low gunnel a whole lot easier.
    I guess its a false sense of security for some people as some of the most seaworthy boats ever built in the size range we commonly use catfishing are lowsided ( low freeboard ) boats.
    The Simmons Sea skiff is just one fine example I would run through a treacherous NC inlet. And the many Pangas that venture way offshore around the world everyday cant be forgotten.

I would say the best catting boat would be no more then 20 feet long.
    Center console or tiller steering, room for 2 people, a low freeboard, and thats it.

Anything over 20 feet marks too many places off the list that I want or like to fish.

19. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The cafish boat of all catfish boats is the one that starts at 4 am when its 20 degrees outside :smile2:

20. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I haven't fished out of it yet but I have a 20' SeaArk River Cat Classic on order. I was at Bass Pro Shops yesterday and did a little comparison shopping. I would have ended up with way less boat for the money if I had bought a boat from BPS. SeaArk is a great deal and the RiverCat is made for cattin!