What Is The Catfish Boat Of All Catfish Boats? (PART 2)

Discussion in 'Boating' started by okie catfishen, Aug 9, 2006.

1. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    I have learned more about boats from you guys in the past 2 weeks than I have my whole life. My next question is "What is the river boat of all river boats?" I am still planning on buying a boat next spring and was wondering what makes a good river boat. I might moving to Penn. and will be fishing the Susquehanna River north of I-80 Near Watsontown, Pa. I hear it is not very deep in some places.

Thanks for all your help,
    Keith
    Newcastle, Ok

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Depending on the depth of the river you want to run, but RiverPro makes a mighty fine looking River Boat.. Jet Drive so you can in a puddle of water :big_smile:

3. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    That RiverPro Boat is one heck of a boat! A little more than i want to spend but is the kind of boat I would love to have. It might be worth waiting a little longer and getting a boat like that.

Keith,
    Newcastle, Ok

http://www.riverpro-boats.com/pages/HiProXT_Specs.shtml

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    That one is out of my league. I like one that Bass Pro Has and I am also very fond of Sea Ark boats

5. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned a deep V boat. I'm planning to order a Starcraft C-Star in a couple of weeks. Dealers don't have the '07 info. yet. The back edge of the console is even with the back edge of the front deck. That gives lots of open floor space in the back of the boat.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Deep V's are great of up have the draft, but both on some resevoirs and many rivers, there are places a deep V won't go.

7. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Keith,

I think you will find a lot of expertise about boats on this site. Everyone is very helpful and I have been amazed by the boat knowledge available from the BOC brothers. As you read through the posts, it seems like a lot of catfishermen use aluminum jon boats. They are economical and work very well in most rivers. There are also plenty of guys fishing out of fiberglass hull and pontoons. The bottom line is to find something that works for your budget and the areas you fish.

Since you asked "What is the river boat of all river boats?" I will tell you about the boats I have used on rivers. I owned two Lunds, one Boston Whaler, a bunch of inflatable assault boats including a Zodiac F470, and two RiverPro jet boats. I have used all of these boats on various rivers in the Midwest to the Midsouth states. The best river boat I have ever used or seen is the RiverPro. It does not get the best fuel economy- get a canoe if you want MPG. It does not work well on a lake with big waves- get a Boston Whaler if you want a smooth ride in heavy wind and waves. It is not the prettiest boat at the ramp- get a new fiberglass fish & ski for that. If you want to take 10 people on a cocktail cruise- get a large party barge pontoon for that. However, if you want a boat that you can take on any river with confidence, if you want a river boat that will run circles around anything with a prop, if you want a boat that is tough as nails and low maintenance- then you want a RiverPro.

I made the mistake of selling my first RiverPro when I had to move. I ordered my second one knowing it would be a tough boat that could run in as little as 3” of water. I also upped the hp to the Optimax 200 SportJet. This boat will do close to 50 mph and still get decent fuel economy. The boat is easy to wash out with a hose and offers plenty of room to fish. Best of all, they are a blast to drive. Here is a link to a page I made for my old RiverPro. I will try to get some pics of my new boat up soon:
    http://www.navcraft.com/riverpro/

There are some other very good jet boats made to use on rivers including SeaArk, Snyder, and Betz. I believe the RiverPro offers the best value and it therefore earns the title of “River Boat of All River Boats.”

8. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    It's not the size or brand of the boat, it's the company fishing in it.... I'm sure the other brothers will clue ya in on the best type of boat for river fishing... I fish mostly on a lake...... The memories of the people and the times spent on the water will outlast the boat...... Good luck in finding the boat......

9. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    that river-pro is one ugly boat but I bet you could jump a beaver dam with it :)

10. huntinflatheads

huntinflatheads New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I've got a riverpro hipro with the sportjet 175. I do think it is the best catfishing boat you can buy for river fishing. I fish mostly at night. I don't need to wory about hitting wing dams, damaging props, or getting hung up on any sandbars. If I cant see it with a spotlight I'm not going to hit it. It does burn a lot of gas though.

11. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have a seaark 2472 cub series with a cabin that is nice if there is alot people on board and if it starts a big down pour then no one whines and you can keep on fishing and I can still get in 8" of water.

12. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I guess I'm old fashion but in my sixty two years of fishing, I have never seen the time when I thought I needed to go 50 miles an hour to and from fishing holes.
    My old boat is so slimed up from catfish I can hardly stand it, and if I had a $15,000.00 boat I would have to be so dainty so it wouldn't get all slimedup. I would rather catch cats than spend all my time shampooing my boat. Just my opinion. primitive

13. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The trend now is 20 foot fiberglass bay boats with 200 plus engines. We need 3 live wells that will carry about 1,000 pounds of water. Why 3? One for our live bait that is about 30 gallons. Another one that can carry your smaller cats and keep them alive. Then you need another one that can carry a 60 to 80 pound cat to win.
    The picture below is my main livewell that will carry 62 gallons of water across the back of the boat. Otherwise, I will have a hog trough for the front for the trophys...

14. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    AMEN to what primitive said!

I went from a 16' Lowe flat bottom w/40hp Merc to a 2003 Polar Kraft V with dual consoles, pedistal seats, Carpet, etc.... - You know the style I'm talking about.

There are ALOT of times I prefer my old flat bottom. When I spilled my blood bait or Liver or ???? I never worried about it. I never had to worry about getting fish slime on the carpet, or knocking the sand off my feet before I got in the boat. I didn't have to worry about scratching it on docks or bouncing it off of the rocks, etc..... And I paid $18,000 for all of this!

Don't get me wrong, I do like my new boat, it's nice to have people admire my new boat. And it's fun to run the river at 45mph. But if I had it to do over again, I would have just gotten a new motor for the flat bottom, with electric start.

craigr

15. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    in highschool and college, I had a 10 ft aluminum jon boat that leaked, well, it leaked pretty bad.

When I graduated college and got married I bought an 18ft bass boat. I loved bassfishing(still do) and catfishing a great deal.

I caught enough bass in my 10 footer to sink the 18footer but I'll never catch enough bass in the 18footer to sink the 10 footer.

If I had it to do all over again I would have went with a 17-18 foot aluminum with a 60 or something. Enough HP to ski/tube but real easy to hose out.

My next boat will either be a big jon, a pontoon, or one of those bay style boats, something easy to clean and keep dry.

16. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For rivers like the Susky, I'd want a flatbottom aluminum with a tunnel hull and a jet drive outboard. I'd want the hull bottom to be at least .125 gauge and a 1/4" solid keel.

17. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    It depends on the river. are you talking about, a two mile wide inland sea with three foot whitecaps in the wind or a upland river channel with logs, rocks and sandbars. In the area I live in the upland rivers are more common. Take a tip from duck hunters and other marsh rats. Get a boat with a shallow draft or flat bottom. The hull should be .100 or .125 thickness. The support ribs should run lengthwise down the hull not across. These two factors will prevent or slow down hooking on the bottom and allow you to rub river obstructions worry free. I prefer an open floor plan with a metal floor and decks. Rubber mats work pretty good but can be expensive and wear out eventually. Aluminum diamond treadbrite painted with self etching primer and a good grade of epoxy mixed with some grit or sand gives a super surface that will give uou good footing for fishing or cast net work even if wet or covered in slime and blood. Keep your finish dull and your colors light. This reduces reflected light from the sun or a spotlight at night keeps temperature of deck surfaces a little cooler in the sun.

18. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
  19. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have a 17' Triton Semi V Duck boat with a 75hp four stroke on it. It has a gun/rod/storage box, a big front storage compartment, side console with livewell. The thing I like most about it is that it can take a beating, I have been wide open in 2-3' waves and it just keeps going. No cracks, nothing loose. It has non skid on the floor so if I spill all the worms,blood,eel slime, whatever in it I just spray it off with a hose and call it a day. The boat will draft pretty shallow for a semi v. Got stuck on a big sand bar on an outgoing tide last weekend but it wasnt so stuck that I couldnt pull it off into deeper water. ( THAT WAS FUN ) The tritons are a little more to buy but they also have a lifetime hull warranty. I have hit a lot of stumps with mine and it still rides the same as the day I got it.

20. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    What is a good boat for running jug lines and limb lines and such. and still have a good stable boat for catfishing with.