what is the brightest flashlight?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by s_man, Dec 13, 2008.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I hope I can post this web address, its just a site for reviews like Consumers Reports or the like but just for flashlights.

I use maglite 3D cell flashlights and have for ten years. I always thought they were the best that I could get. Whoa nelly was I ever wrong, lol. I found this site flashlightreviews.com and discovered that after 1hour on fresh batteries my Maglite is only putting out half the light as when I put the batteries in. So I get bright light for an hour then half output till the batteries are dead 20 hours later. I have to search this site further (just found it 20 min ago) but I will have a decent light in the spring.

They have un-biased info on every imaginable type/style of flashlights and bulbs.
    Read the Q&A section to figure out what everything means.

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Get the led bulb for your mag-lite. I have one in my 2 cell and its way brighter and white in color and the batteries last, just wish they made them for my six cell. Got mine at lowes. Hope this helps.

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    what is the brightest flashlight?

I have found the Surefire flashlight is far the brighest flashlight I have ever owned. These babies are not cheap, but put out an amazing amount of light using the Surefire brand batteries!!

HOPE THIS HELPS!!:big_smile:

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Heres my 6 cell with a krypton bulb and a 2 cell with a led. I put new batteries in both for this test. Notice how much brighter the led is. Im sure most of the led's are pretty close but my maglites are paid for.

Attached Files:

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mark, I was looking at gun prices on a site and just happened to click on "lights", thats where I saw a Surefire flashlight roughly like a 2 or 3D cell Maglite. Only the thing costs $329.00 regular price, and they had it on clearence for $249.00! Kept digging around for info on other sites and found this one.
    Is a surefire worth that kind of money? Is it that brite, can I melt lead with it LOL. Just curious.

7. George Graham

George Graham New Member

State:
    Texas
    A friend showed me his old mag lite with a LED conversion bulb in it.

I don't know how old his batteries were but his 2 cell LED compared to my 2 cell krypton bulb with fresh batteries, (about 30 minutes use) made a LED believer out of me.

As soon as I could find the LED bulbs, I bought 2, one for my light and one for my wife's.

The light beam seems to penetrate farther and is whiter.

I like them.

George

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    anybody tried both the night eyes and the maglite led conversion for the d-cells? the night eyes led bulb says its compatable for all d-cell maglite 2-6 cell, the maglite leds are cell specific 2,3,4. there is a pretty good difference in price around $9 for the night eyes $14 for the maglite. ive been thinking of getting one any input, one brighter than the other....?

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i was watching one of those how its made type shows and they had a how to make a super flashlight for under $10. they took a $4 rayovac industraial 2aa flashlight swaped out the bulb for a 3v krypton bulb i think it was then they drilled out the ribs on the inside of the flashlight so it would accept the 3v batteries and then they did a shine test with a compairable SHURFIRE and it was noticably brighter! for $10! I like leds though i got rechargable batt for it id hate to buy 3v bett all the time.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Surefire is nice, but you are buying things like name, construction quality, finish, etc, and not the most brightness for the buck. If you want a very bright, cheap light, go to Lowes and look for a Lowes Taskforce 2C light, which runs off of 2 C cell batteries. Important... Be sure the package says "60x Bright", as there are still some out there that use an older led that is not nearly as bright. This light is much brighter than all of the lights in the Mag line, and all but a couple of the most expensive Surefires.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    For enough money, most anything is possible... LED Module for 6D Mag light: http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-300.html Should be about as bright as a car headlight.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    good greef that ought to be bright:crazy:. also ozzy walmart has a little more affordable led that is supposed to work with all the d cell mags that i was asking info on a couple posts ago, but a guarranty it aint anything like the one gary found :crazy:

13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I have a Surefire Mini Flashlight that I had bought at Cabelas last year. It cost me around 60 to $70 I believe. It uses 2 lithium batteries. I also have a blue filter cap for tracking blood trials with it at night. It puts out plenty of light. Believe me. Nice compact size for hunting and fishing.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I gotta check that out, maglite dont make a 6 cell led bulb.

15. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Alkalines will drop rapidly in efficiency no matter what type of bulb. Alkalines are also not efficient at colder temps. NiCd and Li-Ion are much more effecient. LEDs are making leeps and bounds and Surefire has them in 5 watt (I think) bulbs, but they are $$. I use LED Petzel headlamp with NiCd batteries for normal fishin' needs. For my "bright" light I just use a 400,000 cp spotlight.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'd avoid any 5 watt LED lights. The 5 watt LED was made by Luxeon/Philips, and it just wasn't very efficient. It was used by various flashlight manufactures, but it was inefficient and tended to prematurely and permanently dim. They reintroduced it again late last year in a more efficient design, but then did a recall because of high failure rates.

The Cree Xlamp and Seoul Semiconductor P4 are 3 watt LEDs that are far more efficient and put out more light than the 5 watt Luxeons, and they have much better life expectancies. There are literally dozens of companies using the new LED's, Surefire was about 18 months late, but they have them now. I like Fenix, and I've been using their flashlights for several years now.