What is the biggest heaviest openface spinning reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Catfish_Calvin, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    What is the biggest, most heavy duty spinning reel you have seen or heard of? Ive been looking all over for a big spinning reel for snagging spoonbill and huge asian carp. Ive found alot of spinning reels but ive stripped the gears out of all of them. Asian carp are just too tough i guess. Ive seen one spinning reel that was rated for 25 lb. test. Which is the 90 dollar ABU GARCIA I stripped out after a month of snagging. Thats the biggest ive seen. If any of you guys have a suggestion let me know! Price doesnt matter! Thanks!

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have an ( OKUMA ABF90 ) very large spinning reel. It holds 330 yards of 30 lb. mono....I use 20 lb mono and it holds 500 yards of 20. It has an ( Automatic Bait feeder) which with the flip of a lever on the back side of the reel, it is like a baitcaster in free spool with clicker on. With a slight turn of the handle, it goes from free spool to pre-set drag. Comes in really handy while fishing for big Cats. I just put it in my rod holder and flip the lever and when a fish gets to taking off with my bait....I just pick up the rod and start to reel and he is on.:wink:

3. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
  4. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Yes they do and they are some of the best available. I used to have a Penn 650 & Penn 750 Salt water spinning reels. They are awesome reels.:crazy:

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  6. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
  7. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
  8. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    The Shimano 6500 Baitrunners are pretty tough.

9. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Those Van Staal's are $600.00 to $750.00 each. :wink:

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I know.:smile2:

Can't believe I just recmmended a VS for snaggin'.:embarassed:

11. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    LOL. Ok im blinking. But man id love to have one of them bad boys! Thanks for the link.

12. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Thanks for letting me know about this reel. I found one on a website and they cost 52 bucks. Very good price. Only problem is they are charging 35 dollars for shipping through the post office. Id rather pay 100 dollars for the reel than get screwed over for 35 dollars shipping. Know any better people to go through?

13. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    you might check on ebay i got an eb65 okuma shipped for $75 i think it was, the company selling them was advertising for saltwater, said only one they had seen stripped out was on a 12 ft shark lol, mine has been solid for several years but i dont use it as much as the bait casters now

14. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Paul Parsons hit the nail on the head. Penn makes an excellent spinning reel. The 9500SS is a hog and is developed for heavy saltwater action. They are commonly used for catching huge tarpon at 100+ pounds, so they should easily handle any freshwater species. Should the rare event happen that the reel fails, they sell a complete list of replacement parts for all of their reels. Vern

15. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    try a diawa giant it holds like 330 of 40lb only think their a left hand crank spinning reel only 40.00

16. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    If you want the best, you're going to pay for it. You can never beat these, if you have the money.

17. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Ok i take back the "money doesnt matter". Money does matter. Id be able to drop a couple hundred on a nice real that will last a long time. But 500+, phew, i could buy a real nice gun for that kinda money. :)

I just wanted to hear what everyone thought the best was. Thanks for all the replies everyone! This site is the best for good knowledgable information because of you!

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    check at cabelas thats where i picked up my shimano 4500 but the 6500 are very nice, the okumas are also nice, i have a abf 50 but the abf 90 is BIG, also cabelas has a salt striker 80 bait runner that is also very big and has a water proof drag system at a decent price, the salt strikers are made by okuma and have 10 ball bearings, very smooth, i have a saltstriker 65 and it's very smooth

19. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
  20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Take a look at the Alvey 550 C5.