What is the best

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by catman99, Aug 15, 2006.

1. catman99

catman99 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Is their better bait than what i use i use a night crawler or blugills. Is their anything better than this

2. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Gills work better I think. More likely to get panfish taking nightcrawlers. Ask around for what baits the cats are hitting on in the water your are fishing. Good luck.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    its good to see you posting buddy but as far as the bait you use if it works for you do it . there are other baits you can try

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it...:big_smile:
    Welcome to the BOC, Dan...
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Blessed our young they will inherit our national debt.

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC, Dan.

6. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Dan!! I like using chubs for channels.

7. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Welcome to the BOC brother.... My favorite is cured livers... and of course can't go wrong with the perch....

8. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I agree, If it ain't broke don't fix it. Nice thing about night crawlers and Fishing for channels is. If it ain't a channel, Its bait. A good big glob of crawlers with a little air added is fair game for all who happens bye.
    :boss: ​

9. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Welcome buddy . Cut chubs are pretty hard to beat .

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    what ever little fish you have in the water where you are fishing is the best bait...........I think..........But...........I could be wrong

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    this is good advice try whats near where you fish always remember fish cant go to the bait store lol but fish eat fish ,worms ,grasshoppers ,crickets ,crayfish and even that stinky stuff humans make in the plants lol check the library on here for other bait ideas or recipes good luck

12. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    try ya some chicken breast soaked in about anything vannilla,anise, koolaid or just what ever comes to mind.:0a25:

13. Taslagi

Taslagi New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I like useing crawlers for chanels, havent coutht anyting real big on them thow.

14. BrianM

BrianM New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I usually do pretty good with cut shad

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It all depends on what kind of fish you are after. Channel Cats will eat almost anything including worms, liver, cut bait, shad.
    Blues like cut bait or shad.
    Flatheads eat anything that swims.

16. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If fishing during day, I try to stay away from worms. (You catch alot of bluegill/sunfish)
    If fishing at night, a good wad of nightcrawlers is about as good as it gets. When I bait my trotlines, I have to wait until right at dark or the bludgill/sunfish will strip all the hooks.

17. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    To catch channels I use goldfish and tell myself I am after flatheads. Seems to work as I catch channels 3-1 over flats. Goldfish are not exactly native to the Mississippi River but the catfish don't seem to mind.

18. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The good thing about channel catfish is they will eat just about anything. I usually bring 3-4 different type of baits with me. At the least I will bring 2. It sucks to go out out with just one bait only to find that they are not biting on that and thats all you have to offer. You can try the old fav. corn, nightcrawlers, shrimp, pieces of hotdogs, bread, just to name a few. I have tried perches but for some reason it never seems to work for me. (anyone) ?

19. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Channels are the most unselective catfish out of the big 3. You can catch them on just about anything. There isnt any one answer as to which is the best. Each body of water, each day, and each situation will change the baits effectiveness.

In my personal experience the best channel cat baits are liver, doughbait, shad in that order. Other people have great success with worms, shrimp, gills, and crawfish.

I almost never catch fish on worms, and have only used shrimp a few times, with mild luck.

20. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dang, that sounds good. Do the fish not like the dark meat ? LOL