What is the best way to present a live carp?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by AZflats, Oct 12, 2005.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Howdy friends,
    Anybody have any secret tips for presenting live carp for giant flatheads? I mostly fish the large reservoirs here in AZ for flatheads.. But I can't seem to break the 30# BARRIER.. I want to try the bigger bait, bigger fish theory, but was unsure on hook size, bait size, and hook positioning..

* Hope someone can help..
    Take care..

2. fourteenfootcat

fourteenfootcat New Member

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    Ok, here we go. Now I am rather new at this myself, but this has been my experience. Flatheads go for 1 lb to 3 lb carp. Any bigger and I get muskie hits all the time. We don't want muskies (at least I don't), we want 40 - 60 lb plus flatheads.

Hooks. I hook carp and sheephead behind the dorsel fin always. No exceptions. You need a wide gap hook for this. Buy an assortment of 17/0 to 20/0 Sea Circle Hooks from CatfishConnection.com. I buy by the hundreds and paint them red with paint that is non-toxic and environmentally friendly. I add juice from fresh cherries to give the hooks a deep red color. Little technique I picked up from a wise man. Colors I experiment with are blue, chartreuse, and purple. I've gotten hits on all of them.

Position the hook so the barb will NOT hook back into the flesh of the fish...but keep it deep enough so the carphead is secured and won't try any funny business like getting off your line. I use 8-20 ounces of weight depending on current, size of bait, and overall castability. I try to use flat, pancake sinkers or lots of spoon shaped ones to do the job.

When using carp, I use 60 lb dacron with a steel leader. Reason being if I get a muskie hit, I want my hook back and I don't want the muskie. Also, dacron will not stretch much. Make sure you have a saltwater barrel swivel on that baby that can hold a lot of weight and will not break. If you find the fish is not loading up on the hook before you pull back, then gently, with a channel lock pliers, bend the barb side of the hook out, but don't bend the barb, if you know what I mean. Either that, or increase the size of your hook and the gap between hook and carp flesh.

Words from the peanut gallery,

James

3. fourteenfootcat

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    Hey Tim,

Don't like quick strike rigs because have had it where the flathead will swallow the whole shootin' match and then I'm trouble. Circle hooks, my friend, circle hooks.

No offense to octopus hook lovers and haters,

James

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I have never seen the Quick strike rig, but I think you might be onto something with the trebles. Most of the time, I dont like to let the fish run with the bait becouse there are usualy a lot of submerged trees and other foliage that they wrap themselves around..

Thanks for the quick reply and the good advise..

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    14'CAT~
    Thanks for the advise, and good point about them swallowing the rig..
    * I apreciate the help!
    * I don't have to worry about Muskies, hell the only toothy critters around here are the turtles. I'm not sure if I need to worry about those...

For leaders I use 50# vanish for I have been told that larger, more expirenced cats will pass up a bait if it sees line.. Not sure if it is true, I just want to make certain I do it right.. :confused:

Thanks Guys.

6. fourteenfootcat

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    I've never heard of a flathead being shy of anything, let alone line. But, there's always a first. Good new info. I'm interested in seeing if it is true that cats can see line up close enough to make the decision....

to bite or not to bite....

That is the question....

Calling Fisheries Biologist now...

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i usually present myself to him quickly then kill him and fillet and score it. then present him with taters and corn. lmao.

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Now that's funny right there, don't care who you are!

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The best way to present a carp? On a gamakatsu 12/0 big river hook. carolina rig, trim the tail fin off the carp. JMO. :D