what is the best way to fish a snag?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Mr. Foster, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I havent did alot of snag fishing, but im planning on getting my boat on the river so i can find cover and snags. Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the best presentation? Thanks Brent

2. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Opinions vary. I like to anchor quietly downstream about half a cast and
    toss a bobber rig upstream of the snag. I set the bobber about two feet
    deep on the first cast and try to drift it close to the snag as I dare.
    Depending on the depth and shape of the snag, I may lower the bait
    on successive drifts in 6 in. increments. This searches for active fish
    posted for what the current brings them. Next, dead or prepared baits
    on the downstream side set as close as possible to the snag on a
    tight line bottom rig using a no-roll sinker below the barrel swivel and
    above the hook. After letting them sit for about a half hour, I'd move
    upstream of the snag and lay down baits on the upstream side if it was
    a big, complicated snag or if I had some action.
    If not, move downstream to the next snag.

3. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I like to throw the anchor out well upstream of the snag and then let rope out till I'm in accurate casting distance of the snag. I do prefer to keep my distance from the cover I'm fishing..........I drop to dam many things in the boat to be considered "stealthy". I tend to lose a lot of lead on the river, don't shy away putting the bait "tight" to the cover. When I do get hit, I pretty much plan on dragging the fish out of cover.........little give on my part if I can help it.

Have caught a bunch of flatheads fishing cover on the river, but my better fish have been associated with deeper water. Cover in a hole is a nice combination, but would take a hole with a lot of baitfish over a hole with just cover. Will add that I am pretty much chasing flatheads when I'm fishing snags. Have better luck chasing channels at the tail end of runs, flats, and drops on the Kaw. Hope that helps.

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I once had a old river fisherman tell me the way he learned to read snags and holes was he would fill a plastic pop bottle 1/4 full with water and drop them ahead of a hole/snag.He said when the bottle would slow he would drop a marker.Then go back and fish these little breaks/crease's.

I'm not a big river fisherman but made since to me to read a hole to find the slack/breaks/crease waters of a snag or hole.

Also said in current he would stick a 1/2"alum pipe in the water below holes/runs until he couldn't hear the sand against the pipe.He said the cats was more active where the sand was not stirred up.

Might of been feeding me a line of &*%^ but sounded good to me.

This of course was on the sandy Kaw..

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Makes perfect sense to me. Ive ran across alot of old timers in my day that had good info for catfishing rivers. Mostly back when I was younger, and it was in one ear and out another. Man Ill tell you what, I really wish I would have listened better, or ran acrossed them at an older wiser age. :cool2:

6. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    I also anchor above, with a drift sock on the back end. 25-50 ft depending on the depth of the hole, but on the river here, it is usually under 6-7ft. I will throw live or cut Chubs, big Suckers,or Green Sunfish in front of the structure first, gradually pitching it closer. This will get the Flatties and bigger Channels if there are any.

If you are getting bit and not hooking up, throw some dip bait in there after the live bait, the may be some 5 and under Channels. Putting dip in there first may turn some flats away.

30 minutes for a decent hole, then move to the next.

7. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yea just let us know when you hit the wiser age Keith! (Sorry I couldn't resist!) LOL :smile2::smile2:

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Geoff , if you knew me about 15 yrs ago and what kind of idiot I was then, youd think I was a genius now. :smile2:

9. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    LOL :smile2::smile2: Atleast you admit huh? :wink:

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Bryan, never have thrown out a sock, does it keep the swing to a minimum? I really like to set up sideways in the river, but REALLY hate it when the wind is blowing hard against the current........frack'n boat is constantly in motion.........have you tried a sock in that situation?? Thanks in advance.

11. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,

Charlie,

It probably would be worth a shot to give it a try. It works great bow anchored.

I have never tried to anchor perpendicular to the current here, and it's been years since I fished the Kaw down there....but the current just seems too strong to do it here:eek:oooh:

There are couple deep (18-20ft) holes 7-8 miles upstream on bends that you would think it would slow down a little, but it so shallow above it, it's rippin' :crazy: 30 yard radius eddy with wood, that looks like it would hold one that Gary F. catches:smile2: KSU has shocked some big Blues there last year, but I have'nt found any:embarassed: I'd rather use 3 instead of 12 ounces anyway, so I don't fish it much.

12. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas

When I go out I almost exclusively use a driftsock, and fish out of the back of the boat. It can be a really windy day and it really keeps you relatively straight, especially if theres a decent amount of current.

13. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I'm liking what I hear here. I have no problem tossing out 24oz if it hold big fish :wink:. Now you have me hook on going up your way more this year.

14. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Although I have been both ways,it is actually easier to put in at Hwy 24 in Manhattan, and head downstream 1-1.5 miles. The two first deep bends are scoured, and deep, and snag infested.

15. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    With a SNAGGING HOOK!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2: sorry couldnt help myself

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

You are talking about putting in on the ramp at the mouth of the Blue correct. That is what I'm assuming, did not know if there were any other in the Manhattan area.

17. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
  18. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    There is a new one I have not used or thought about... under the 77 bridge....Thanks for the clarification.