What is the best way to catch walleyes.

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by breadboy, Jun 13, 2006.

1. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi guys,
    I am going to go to Milford Lake in Kansas this summer (mid-july) and heard it has good walleye fishing. What are the best ways to catch them? I know you need to retrieve the lure slowly. I will fish both from shore and by boat. Any specific color/lure would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    bread

2. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Any suggestions? I know this is BOC and not BOW but I have never fished for them before.

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Maybe try the local Kansas talk they might have some info for you! Try some lead head jigs tipped with a minnow, or try to troll leeches or crawlers you may end up with some channels but thats not a bad thing either!

Aaron

TA2D

4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    JIGS and a leech, although I catch all of mine on crankbaits.

5. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks. When I am getting closer to my trip I'll ask the kansas guys.

6. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Kyle, Sal_Jr. has lots of walleye experience. If you send him a PM, he'll be sure to help you out best he can. Don't think he'll be back online until Tuesday, though. Hope this helps.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  8. tragic

tragic New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    We use Jig heads with yellow grubtails or jig heads with a minnow and slowing reeling it in..

9. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks guys. brad believe it or not, I just favorited that site a couple of days ago trying to do some research before my trip.

10. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Leeches and the such are good bait but also try a Hot 'n' Tot by Storm. I used it a couple of days ago and caught four up to 17 inches in about 30 minutes. Yes reel in slow. Would have tried it longer but it was getting dark and it was time to catfish.

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Slow troll a worm harness with flourscent blades. They can be lite biters, so hold line btw fingers to detect bite. good luck

12. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Yes sir slow retrieve a pink leadhead jig with a live minnow(not a chub) should do the trick. If you're trolling as the post above suggests put at least one silver spinner blade in line about 18-24in. above your jig. Be sure to add a swivel above and below your spinner blade(s). Take several bright jigs with you, sometimes those tasty little critters are finicky. Oh so good!
    Don

13. J WIED

J WIED New Member

State:
    Shawano.Wisconsin
    You can cast crankbaits but be sure that the crankbait drags the bottom this always works for me. Use a deep diver with a big lip, the big lip helps it stay out of the snags.

14. J WIED

J WIED New Member

State:
    Shawano.Wisconsin
    You can cast crankbaits but be sure that the crankbait drags the bottom this always works for me. Use a deep diver with a big lip, the big lip helps it stay out of the snags.[/quote]

15. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    Another good bait is a Rapala XRAP. I've had some really good luck using those.

16. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the help.

17. akilliss

akilliss New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio
    take a trip to lake erie. iv been about 6 times this year and hit my limit every day. my dad lives up there and as long as the storms arent there you will catch big eyes

18. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    the erie is a great spot to hit soe walleyes. ive always done really well with a erie dearie i think what they are with a bottom bouncer with minnow and nightcrawler

19. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thats a little too far. I go to Kansas bi-annually because of my relatives. If I go to one of the Great Lakes, it will probably be a guided salmon trip, I always have wanted to do that. Heck, I might live around there some day who knows, just a little too cold for me lol.