What is the best way string cats?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Krauseb, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Krauseb

Krauseb New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have just a little boat I use for catfishing so I don't have a live well. I practice CPR ... problem is that b/c I have a small boat I don't have room to carry a decent camera so I would like to keep the cats alive on a stinger long enough to get to shore and get pictures, but I don't want to go thru and damage the gills. I've heard you can poke a hole thru the lower lip, but I don't want to make it so the fish can't eat after I get done fishing and take the pictures and release 'em.

I guess my question is ... does poking the stringer thru the lower lip damage the fish to the point of endangering the fish? Is there a better way to string them?

thanks.

2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Probably a better alternative to a stringer would be a decoy bag, relatively cheap. and takes up little room.

Going through the lower lip would be better then the gills. Although personally I don't like either. the fish will have a better chance this way. Anytime you cut or poke a hole, there is always a chance of infection.

Only a couple suggestions.

3. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I'd go with something like a decoy bag as well. Or something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0036745018391a&navCount=1&podId=0036745&parentId=cat20188&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20188&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20188&hasJS=true

I think I've seen some similar contraptions at other online retailers as well, but I can't remember where.

I would definitely stay away from stringers if you want to keep them alive for very long.

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    There is always room for a camera. My Kodak Easy Share is about 4"x2"x3", it fits right in my tackle bag.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Around the neck and a low branch.:wink:

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Stringing them will stress them out if not kill them.

Proper CPR included IMMEDIATE RELEASE.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like to go through the mouth and out the anus. You don't need as many that way when making a cool catfish necklace. Some tines I go through the eyes of the one in the middle for an artsy effect. Usually the biggest one, it looks good hanging down. :wink: