What is the best size casting net for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by brushpile, Apr 30, 2006.

1. brushpile

brushpile New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I would assume that the smaller the net, the easier to handle. The stores in my area have 3', 3 1/2', 4' and 5' radius casting net. I was thinking about starting off with a 3 1/2 or 4' radius net for catching shad.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. I haven't thrown one since I was about 15 years old and I can't remember what size it was.

Thanks,

2. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    I would start with a 4 ft super spreader that has an aluminum ring. Check out catfish connection, they might have one.

3. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I would have to agree with buzz on this one because I bought a 4 foot net with the aluminum ring at the top and it is pretty easy to use. It catches all of the baitfish that I need.

4. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Most definitely a 4'.

5. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Mine is about 3.5 foot radius. Generally for me its a compromise---it will open up if I throw it shallow, or I can throw it a long way, but its just a tangled ball when I do. I usually get so mad trying to throw it that I just give up and call off the whole fishing trip. lol Hope you have better luck than me!

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    4ft should do you fine, and a mono net is easier to throw than a nylon net.

7. brushpile

brushpile New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks for all the help....4' it will be.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I would afree with the 4ft starter net also. Get it in mono cause you are going to get it snagged which in turn will put rips and tears in it. All you need to do after that is get some 15 or 20 lb test mono and sew the edges back together with a series of knots a 1/4 inch apart.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I agree,I have a 3.5 foot,I like it pretty well but I would rather had a 4'

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I had a 4 foot ( diameter ) net,hand made for my children to learn with.Many children and many adults found it very easy to learn with.I have never seen one that small for sale.I think the smaller the better.While you are learning,learn to throw it right and left handed.This is the best and easiest time to learn this.You can swap off and throw a net steady for hours if you learn this.peewee-williams

11. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, to be perfectly honest with ya, I started out with a minnow net. LOL!:lol:

12. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    IMHO the smaller nets are more accurate. Five foot and under. Also you can use a one handed throw with the smaller net and I get more distance with the five footer. Easy throw has very easy to understand instructions that are easy to adapt to any net. Also I have found the softer the net the better. I always soak a new net in fabric softner overnight when they are new. I use at least 1/2 inch mesh for shad and have tried up to an 1 inch. Do gill a few shad, usually small crappie. The larger mesh will sink very fast so you can use less weight on your lead line. ( Around the bottom of your net. ) This makes it easier to throw for me . Of course it took a while to become anything like good at it. Can now use either hand or a two handed throw for up close. Must always use at least a 3/4 turn when throwing for me.

13. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    The 4 ft would be your best net .
    The mesh has a lot to do with how fast it sinks.
    Water depth up to 10 feet I would choose a 1/4 mesh.
    Water depth over 10 feet I would reccomend 3/8 mesh.

:0a26:

:cat: