What is the best setup for big cats?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by OhioRiver, Jul 22, 2008.

1. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just wondering what kind of line you use, size/type hooks, sinkers, And how you tie everything together.

I'd love to improve my chances at landing a big one

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I run a Carolina/stinger rig with a 2 to 4 oz(depending on current) no roll slip sinker on 40# mono with a 50# mono leader, and an 7/0 octopus circle hook trailed by a 8/0 octopus circle hook.
    I start out by slipping the sinker on the main line, then a bead to protect the knot, then I tie on a 80# swivel using a palomar knot. Then I cut me a 18 to 20" leader of 50# mono, snell my bottom hook, then move up about 4 to 6" and snell my second hook, then tie my leader to the swivel using another palomar knot.

Attached Files:

3. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    So is the two hook rig called a carolina/stringer rig?

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Its just a Carolina rig with a stinger or trailing hook. You can bait up both hooks seperately or use them both on one big bait.

5. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks! Hopefully some of the bites I get will end up actually hooking a fish now lol. If anyone else has any rigs, Ill try different things to see what I like best.

6. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I do generally the exact same thing. Only differences are that I use a wire leader, a 8/0 circle hook and no stinger hook.